PDA

View Full Version : Need some pedal advice for my latest purchase

Louis
11-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Over the weekend I ordered a low-cost single-speed 29er, with no suspension at all. It's primary purpose is going to be to ride around my subdivision when the weather's not good enough to go for a "real" road ride, or if I only have time for a 20-30 minute spin. I figure if I have this option I'm less likely to stay home in marginal conditions.

It's a bit hilly in here, so ss should be interesting. I decided to go the cheapo route because I'm not sure how much I'll be riding this. If it turns out that I use it a lot, then I might upgrade.

My biggest dilemma is what to use for the pedals. On all my other bikes I'm still stuck in the in 80's with Look Delta cleats. If I go with something different, then I'd need to also get new shoes. I could go with platform pedals, but then I'm still not sure what shoes/boots I'd use. If I go platform, I'd definitely want a strap of some sort, because I want to be able to do more than just mash down. Whatever I do for shoes, I want something warm, because this is mostly for winter use.

Any suggestions?

TIA

false_Aest
11-25-2012, 08:37 PM
nice:
sidi winter shoes
wool socks
XT pedals

bargain:
cheap spin shoes
wool socks
520 pedals
XL wool socks with holes cut in em for booties.

giverdada
11-25-2012, 09:13 PM
i'm totally biased because Hold Fast is my cousin's company and i really like him and the things he makes, but i also really like the set-up of the straps. they call it FRS for Foot Retention System, and it's like the old power straps from the 90s, but much more secure and adjustable and all that jazz. also substantially more structured and thereby supportive. anyway, i like those straps. i boycott the ynot straps because of patent wars between the two companies.

as for shoes, i went with blundstones. i already had them, they had leather all over the front, and they slid so nicely into platform pedals with holdfast straps that all was well and quick. and even when they got filthy dirty with road grime, they were clean with a couple quick wipes. such is not the same with so many fabric-based riding footwear. the principal problem with blundstones is the elastic on the side, particularly the drive side of the shoe. without fenders, you get soaked right through the elastic panel with all kinds of salty slush, and it's just terrible. also, you have to have room in them for thick socks, so if you don't, you'll need a different pair anyway (room in shoes is the number one feature of keeping my feet warm, i've found). anyway, as winter approaches in toronto, i'll be back on the singlespeed with platforms, holdfast straps, and blundstones. hoping for the best. and good luck to you in your quest!

buldogge
11-25-2012, 10:15 PM
Louis... I've got various spare SPD-M pedals laying around, if you want to give them a try.

-Mark in St. Louis

Ken Robb
11-25-2012, 10:31 PM
why would you want to be strapped/fastened in while riding in marginal conditions? A quick foot dab could save you from a spill.

Louis
11-25-2012, 10:54 PM
why would you want to be strapped/fastened in while riding in marginal conditions? A quick foot dab could save you from a spill.

Good point. It's a balancing act between the climbing and potentially sketchy conditions. My subdivision roads are nearly all rolling hills, and with the single speed I anticipate needing all the help I can get to make to over some of the rises. Curently my thinking is that I'd like the option of putting energy into the pedal stroke for more than what one can do if your only option is to push down on the pedals.

Louis
11-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Louis... I've got various spare SPD-M pedals laying around, if you want to give them a try.

Thanks Mark - I'll let you know if I decide to try that route.

cat6
11-25-2012, 11:10 PM
The album was originally going to be called "The Invisible Men", but three weeks before the release, according to Roger Taylor, they decided to change the name to The Miracle. The striking cover art utilised the Quantel Paintbox, then state of the art image-manipulation technology, to combine photographs of the familiar faces of the four band members into one morphed Gestalt image, in line with their decision to dispense with individual credits and simply present their music as the product of Queen; the back cover went a step further with a seamless regiment of the bands' eyes. Derek Riggs, best known for illustrating Iron Maiden covers, claims that Queen "stole" the idea for this album cover from his cover for the single The Clairvoyant.

gdw
11-26-2012, 12:01 AM
another vote for SPD's. The 520's are reliable and cheap. For short rides you should be able to get by with an inexpensive pair of shoes sized to allow you to wear midweight wool socks. Pair them with plastic grocery bags as a vapor liner and you should be comfortable. Add neoprene booties if it's below 20.

Ken Robb
11-26-2012, 10:12 AM
you might be surprised at how many degrees of rotation you can apply power to using MKS Touring Pedals or various BMX pedals and street shoes with rubber soles.

jvp
11-26-2012, 10:16 AM
I put performance "campus" pedals on my 29r, I generally stay away from performance brand parts but they work fine for this bike - one side is flat, the other spd.

jghall
11-26-2012, 11:07 AM
If you like the Shimano shoes posted above, and have a Performance Store around, I have seen them on sale there for $50.

PaMtbRider
11-26-2012, 11:23 AM
It is hard to beat a shimano 520 pedal for cost. I couldn't imagine riding my mountain bike with platform pedals. SPD pedals keep your foot attached so it doesn't accidentally come off the pedal, yet are easy to exit when you need a quick dab.

shovelhd
11-26-2012, 11:24 AM
I'd add eggbeaters to the list. I have them on my CX commuter bike and have had to unclip very quickly. No problems. If you would like to have a flat platform for occasional flat shoe use, look at the Candy series. I have the cheap Eggbeater 3's. I use them with Specialized Comp MTB shoes. The cleat hides inside the tread so you can walk on them.

William
11-26-2012, 11:33 AM
I'd add eggbeaters to the list. I have them on my CX commuter bike and have had to unclip very quickly. No problems. If you would like to have a flat platform for occasional flat shoe use, look at the Candy series. I have the cheap Eggbeater 3's. I use them with Specialized Comp MTB shoes. The cleat hides inside the tread so you can walk on them.

Agree here,
EB's and Lakes. I use both on my cross bike and 29er. If I'm not racing I want to be able to walk if needed. No issues at all getting out quickly if needed.

William

Mr Cabletwitch
11-26-2012, 11:39 AM
For the bar bike I just use some BMX style platforms with the big spikes on them. They grip really well.

Louis
11-26-2012, 10:40 PM
Well, right now I'm thinking MKS GR-9's and boots. And if I decide to give myself an early X-mas present, maybe the Hold Fast FRS Giverdada mentioned above. ($60 for a set of straps seems steep to me, but I might be convinced) Where else will I be able to get a strap with orange highlights, to match the frame color?

Edit: Does anyone out there have a pair of the GR-9's? Can you please measure the width for me? (the width of the platform, at the C/L of the axle) Thanks

http://www.tokyofixedgear.com/eCommImages/2/0080000026538.jpg

http://holdfastordie.com/store/images/697/FlOrange-4.jpg

pcxmbfj
11-27-2012, 06:52 AM
I run Crank Bros on all my bikes( mtb, road, cx, single speed) because it allows the same foot on/in? pedal position.
I have road and mtb shoes and use either on all bikes, road shoes not as much.
CB is best for mtb but acceptable for the others.
Most of the CB have enough platform that you can even ride in flats if you want.
You can probably do the same with the Shimano SPD and have acceptable conformity across your bikes.
Just another perspective.

Louis
12-08-2012, 01:50 AM
I finally settled on the VP Components VP-001 and just ordered a pair. (not my pics, just stuff from the web, but this looks a lot like my bike, except that mine is orange, has disk brakes, and will soon have fenders)

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7255/7033219095_9c8a1847ae_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7121/6887713140_7d6062a3c3_z.jpg

sc53
12-08-2012, 06:47 AM
I just looked up what I think is your bike on the Redline site--was the whole thing really just $650? That seems like an incredible deal for what you got!

giverdada
12-08-2012, 07:42 AM
Too bad the HoldFast FRS didn't work out, but you can always install them later on those nice-looking pedals you did settle on. Most people run FRS on plastic BMX cheapo-platforms as they aren't sharp enough in the cut outs to fray the webbing of the straps, but plastic pedals ride like crap, have worse bearings, and might have 20% of the grip of those alloy ones you picked up. Maybe this is one of those plastic vs. alloy problems like carbon vs. alloy rims in braking situations. Either way, I look forward to seeing your final set-up. I was in the search for a Redline Monocog for the last couple of months, and ended up just picking up an old Schwinn Mesa Disc for the same commuting purposes. Still have my eye on a Redline though... Give'r.

Louis
12-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I just looked up what I think is your bike on the Redline site--was the whole thing really just $650? That seems like an incredible deal for what you got!

Too bad the HoldFast FRS didn't work out, but you can always install them later on those nice-looking pedals you did settle on. Most people run FRS on plastic BMX cheapo-platforms as they aren't sharp enough in the cut outs to fray the webbing of the straps

Hey Guys,

I very seriously considered the Redline Monocog, but I already have more steel frames than I really need, and because if I really do get motivated to ride this in the winter it will see at least some salt from the roads, I decided to go with an AL frame. The Monocog is steel. (I know, I know, millions of steel frames have no problems with road salt.) Finally, this is primarily a "try it out, to see if I like it" project so I decided to go low-budget. All that led me to a BikesDirect Gravity 29. So far, except for the fact that it weighs a ton (I'm waiting until I have it in it's final configuration before weighing it) I'm satisfied with the quality. There's one teeny location at the seat cluster weld where the electrode burned out a bit of the left ss tube, but I doubt that it will be a structural issue.

I did finally order the Hold Fast FRS straps. The site again asked me for my CC info twice, but unlike last time I did not freak out, and continued the process. I then received the various automated emails, including a shipment notification, so I think everything is working out there. It's just weird that the HF web site requests your CC info, then PayPal requests the same info again.

Regarding the straps at the pedal corners - that is a concern I have. I figured I'd wait until I have both the pedals and the straps in hand to figure out how I'll handle it. Plan A is to try using my Dremel tool to strategically round off the corners where the straps rub. I'm not sure what Plan B will be.

dogdriver
12-08-2012, 08:08 PM
How about a combo flat/spd such as the m324?:

http://www.bicyclehero.com/us/shimano-pd-m324-bicycle-pedal-dual-cleat-flat-spd.html?gclid=CI3WiaeejLQCFetDMgodXTUAvw

I have an older version on my mtb tandem, which splits duty between actual riding and playground runs, and dig 'em.

jr59
12-09-2012, 07:05 AM
I sort of like these http://store.somafab.com/mksurstpe.html

For dual sided pedals. As in one side platform and one side clipped in