PDA

View Full Version : cold feet

molly47
11-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Any ideas how to keep feet warm, I have tried booties, wool socks, hot pepper, toe warmers,winter boots,
Just keep getting cold toes...Help

dsimon
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
Stay inside :cool: sorry or electric hunting socks

Cat3roadracer
11-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Smart wool socks, shoes that aren't too tight, neoprene shoe covers. That's the best you can do. Enjoy winter riding, you are outside and you are tougher than anyone else in your office.

Louis
11-25-2012, 08:03 PM
At what temp do you start to have problems?

Overall, how's your blood circulation?

Are you keeping everything else warm? Sometimes cold extremities are a symptom of not managing the rest of your body well enough.

David Kirk
11-25-2012, 08:04 PM
What are you wearing on your lower body/legs? I find I can dress pretty lightly down below and my legs are fine but my feet get cold.........but if I wear more on my legs my legs are still fine but my feet are much better.

That and I have bigger shoes for the serious cold which allow a thick sock without being tight. Tight = not good.

Dave

PaMtbRider
11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
Lake boots and a wool sock that doesn't fit to tight is what has worked best for me.

dekindy
11-25-2012, 08:10 PM
You can try some Toasty Feet insoles. Most folks I ride with agree that they allow riding in 10 degrees Fahreheit colder temperatures in comfort than without. You have to have enough room in your shoes so that the additional bulk does not constrict bloodflow to your feet.

SolidSnake03
11-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Try wrapping your feet in trash bags. I know that is going to sound maybe a bit weird but they provide a windproof layer that is super cheap and helps traps heat/moisture. With this trick I have actually had sweaty feet on a winter ride more than once, would rather deal with that than numb toes anyday!

rwsaunders
11-25-2012, 08:22 PM
When it gets down below 30, even with Winter boots and wool socks, I reach for the toe warmers. I've tried quite a few and Grabber is my go to brand.

http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=TWES40&gclid=COzB2LHJ67MCFQqe4AodghAAHw

Jack Brunk
11-25-2012, 08:23 PM
Move to Socal. Your feet will thank you.

No need to tip.

djg21
11-25-2012, 08:25 PM
Any ideas how to keep feet warm, I have tried booties, wool socks, hot pepper, toe warmers,winter boots,

What kind of booties are you using? I'm not fond of neoprene because my feet get clammy, and then cold. I prefer the newer style goretex or soft-shell booties that breathe.

Are your shoes too tight -- cut off circulation by wearing shoes that are too tight, or wearing multiple pairs of socks, or socks that are too thick, and your feet will be cold. Assuming your shoes fit, one thinnish pair of wool socks should be sufficient with booties. I prefer smartwool (black dress) socks I purchase at EMS.

Wear a hat underneath your helmet.

If all else fails, try spraying your feet with a powdered anti-perspirant like Arid Extra Dry before you put on your socks. This will keep your feet from getting damp and cold.

Learn to love your trainer when its under 35 degrees?

molly47
11-25-2012, 08:27 PM
Thanks guys,I have tried bigger shoes, will try the trash bags, and maybe 2 layers on leg ,The rest of my body is warm or even hot... I appreciate the input just love being on the bike all year.

I guess the other option is to move somewhere warm..-:)

Gummee
11-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks guys,I have tried bigger shoes, will try the trash bags, and maybe 2 layers on leg ,The rest of my body is warm or even hot... I appreciate the input just love being on the bike all year.

Yer basically self-employed now, right? You should totally move to Sandy Eggo and go interview all the pros that live and ride there. Definitely over the winter and maybe into the spring. :nod

More positives to SoCal: 3 tracks to race on. A growing cross scene. More group rides than you can do in a week. LOTS of pros to train with. Nice weather year round. ...but ya gotta deal with the traffic and # of people living there.

Failing that, head to AZ.

AFA toes: could it be that there's air coming from under your sole? I've heard 'cut out some mylar and stick it under your insoles' from a few people but haven't tried it yet.

Good luck

M

Wilkinson4
11-25-2012, 08:42 PM
When it gets down below 30, even with Winter boots and wool socks, I reach for the toe warmers. I've tried quite a few and Grabber is my go to brand.

http://www.warmers.com/ItemDetails.aspx?itemid=TWES40&gclid=COzB2LHJ67MCFQqe4AodghAAHw

That really isn't that cold. How long are you out? Do you have circulation problems? Not just because of tight shoes, but in general. Your biggest enemy is wind and/or wet.

This is for really really sub zero type riding.

http://www.icebike.org/Clothing/footwear.htm

I have used sandals, neoprene and wool socks above 20, shoes with wool socks and toe warmers above 32. Below 20 a specific winter shoe is best.

But, I only stay out for 90 min tops when it dips below freezing.

mIKE

93legendti
11-25-2012, 09:02 PM

What specific products have you tried? I run colder than most, but can ride at least 90 minutes in single digit temps with Smartwool's thickest socks, Sidi winter shoes and PI Amphib booties.

AgilisMerlin
11-25-2012, 09:09 PM
in winter, stuff your face with food before going out in the cold.

just a thought

charliedid
11-25-2012, 09:14 PM
Stretch

XC_racing
11-26-2012, 03:43 AM
how about a layer of cling wrap over your toes (between socks and shoes) that will stop the cold area entering the shoes via shoe vents and will trap the body heat under it.

Cheap, readily available, easy to remove, and take tiny space when not in need.

Used to use this when i was racing MTB in the cold mornings.

Tandem Rider
11-26-2012, 05:53 AM
You have to keep everything warm and dry to keep hands and feet warm. They seem to be last in line for body heat. I was out for 3 1/2 hours @ 28 deg. Saturday, no problem. The secret for me is proper number of layers topped by a wind shell. Put something on the zipper pull you can grab with thick gloves on to run it up and down. Use it to regulate body temp. Lower for climbing, with the wind etc. It is important to stay dry. It takes a lot of btu's to change liquid sweat into sweat vapor to get dry. Those btu's are what keep you warm.

Another note, don't starve youself on cold rides, The "burning" of calories really does seem to create heat and will help you stay warm. Just eat a little frequently.

bheight1
11-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Embroc on toes, Wool socks (Defeet Blaze / Smartwool / or Hot Chilis), Winter shoe/boot, Toe Warmers AND Booties--I double up / layer, same as do with two pairs of tights when its really cold.

rwsaunders
11-26-2012, 08:49 AM
That really isn't that cold. How long are you out? Do you have circulation problems? Not just because of tight shoes, but in general. Your biggest enemy is wind and/or wet.

This is for really really sub zero type riding.

I have used sandals, neoprene and wool socks above 20, shoes with wool socks and toe warmers above 32. Below 20 a specific winter shoe is best.

But, I only stay out for 90 min tops when it dips below freezing.

mIKE

Typical solo ride is 2.5-3.0 hours...solo rides no stopping which doesnt help...buddy rides, coffee stop in the middle. I'm on the lean side an actually have low blood pressure which opens up another discussion. I've got all of the other bases covered like head, core and hands so I'm ok with the toe warmers. I did think about covers over the Winter shoes, but it was a passing thought.

shovelhd
11-26-2012, 08:50 AM
DeFeet Blaze are my favorite winter socks. They only fit in my MTB shoes, though. They are very thick.

jpw
11-26-2012, 10:32 AM
http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,31,48&prod=409

gavingould
11-26-2012, 10:42 AM
Defeet Blaze socks.
up here in Chicago i have a hard time keeping the feet warm too, it doesn't help that if i get shoes big enough to have room for extra non-constricting sock/etc layers, then there's no way i could get an overshoe on them.
i wear 46/47 shoes and have the biggest size of Pearl Izumi Amfib covers, they're a struggle to get on.

if you don't want to go trash bag or saran wrap, if you have some tyvek you can use that as well since it's windproof.
race numbers and fedex shipping envelopes make good sources.... what you wanna do is wrap if over your foot so any vent holes in the shoes will be covered by the tyvek.

fiamme red
11-26-2012, 10:46 AM
Cycling shoes allow a good deal of heat to escape through the cleat area.

What works for me is heavy sneakers or even hiking boots with thick wool socks, and either a BMX flat pedal or clips & straps. I've done long rides when it never went above 30° and have been fine. If it's in the teens, I'll use chemical toe warmers.

thwart
11-26-2012, 10:58 AM
Hands and feet are basically the body's radiators. If your core and head is warm, there is more blood flow to these areas to get rid of the heat and maintain 98.6... therefore warmer hands and feet. If your core/head is cool, less blood flow to hands and feet... and they'll feel colder.

Also, caffeine is a vasoconstrictor to some degree, so don't overdo it. Again, this would lead to less bloodflow to your hands and feet (dehydration has the same effect).

And no, I didn't suggest abstaining altogether... ;)

shovelhd
11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Defeet Blaze socks.
up here in Chicago i have a hard time keeping the feet warm too, it doesn't help that if i get shoes big enough to have room for extra non-constricting sock/etc layers, then there's no way i could get an overshoe on them.
i wear 46/47 shoes and have the biggest size of Pearl Izumi Amfib covers, they're a struggle to get on.

Same here. I have the Barrier covers for my MTB shoes, and they seem to be about a size too small. They do work well once you get them on, though.

christian
11-26-2012, 11:27 AM
Fiamme Red is right. My once-per-week commute is ~2h40m, and the heat escapes from the bottom of the shoes. In a few weeks, I'll be flipping over to Blundstones and thicker socks on flat pedals. For now, I'm using Sidi road shoes, a Sugoi shoecover, and Grabber warmers.

1centaur
11-26-2012, 11:44 AM

We're not talking the coldest spot on the planet, so there's something going wrong in the strategy unless this this is an unsolvable circulation problem. What brand of winter boots did you try, and how much did you size them up? That whole garbage bag thing seems more suitable to not good shoes than well reviewed winter boots. Wool socks with an air layer between them and the shoe should work, if all other parts of the body (and hands, and head) are warm. Starting off with warm socks from the dryer might help. And how long are you out before your feet feel cold? Electric insoles would be something I tried before chemical warmers.

wallymann
11-26-2012, 12:49 PM
i have VERY good circulation in my feet and hands, doctor even tested it, but my body's reaction to even mildly chilly temps is to substantially restrict blood flow to those very same feet and hands leaving me with very cold extremities on cold rides.

i use big gloves and booties, both made of wind-proof neoprene, along with charcoal foot warmers and generous head/ear/neck coverage on sub 30F rides to help...but after an hour or so i just end up with cold paws.

Louis
11-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Stretch

The first time I saw this I read "Scotch."

slidey
11-26-2012, 01:03 PM
SealSkinz socks (http://www.sealskinz.com/socks)

I have the mid-length one, and can vouch for it being quite effective through cold weather of early 30's at least. It might serve well for temps below that as well, but I can't vouch for it.

fiamme red
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM

jblande
11-26-2012, 01:54 PM
http://www.assos.com/en/19/singleProduct.aspx?cat=6,19,31,48&prod=409

are these actually worth the money? i have had such good experiences with assos, aside from the winter foot products. are these different?

xjoex
11-26-2012, 02:41 PM
Shoe covers help, but they are not great.

I have a system, wool socks, winter shoes and neoprene shoe covers(only when below 15). Also I warm my shoes up before leaving the house.

I use the Shimano winter boots:
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-osQt-71e6JA/UJ7F774ObZI/AAAAAAAAIDI/2Y9DfrqZXqc/s640/PB100002.jpg

Then I heat them up with Dry n' Warm dryers
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wvr8lDyCAqg/UJ7F84KYKfI/AAAAAAAAIDQ/7_Y-lAnUll4/s640/PB100003.jpg

And if I must, I'll use the old Sidetrak Neoprene booties on top. They don't make them anymore which is a shame. All these new fangled booties just fal apart.

Also I walk around the house in down booties to make sure my feet are warm when I leave the house.

-Joe

TomNY
11-26-2012, 03:28 PM
I wrap my feet in newspaper. If I am on the road, I look for a paper bag. I take sheet of paper, diagonally placed on the floor. Then step on it with clean dry wool or polypro socks. A triangle of paper should extend forward of your toes. Also two triangles should be at your arches. Paper should also cover heel. Fold over paper to cover toes, also cover from sides. Gently insert into shoes. If it's really cold, place charcoal hand warmers on top of shoes, near back of toes. a piece of duct maybe needed to hold that "nicey nice" in place. If you have room in your booties, make an outline of your shoes on a piece of corrugated box. This goes under your shoe inside the booties. Small window for cleats can be cut out.

For insane cold riding that I have is Felt Wool liners for Sorel type boots. Buy big enough for entire bike shoe to be worn inside the liner as a bootie. Small cleat hole.

For Handle bars I have insulated sleeves from motorcycle riding that are velcro over each side of the bar. I can wear spring gloves inside them.

Now I have a spinning bike, which I use indoors when the weather is frightful. Good Luck

charliedid
11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
The first time I saw this I read "Scotch."

haha!

jpw
11-26-2012, 03:41 PM
are these actually worth the money? i have had such good experiences with assos, aside from the winter foot products. are these different?

they work for me. worth the money? i have two pairs.

their booties get very mixed reviews. so much so that I've yet to dip my toe.

molly47
11-26-2012, 10:10 PM
Thanks guys for all the ideas i will try them all. I have northwave winter boots and the one size up from my normal size.

I will keep you posted again thanks for all the tips.

Likes2ridefar
11-27-2012, 08:47 AM
I have major issues keeping my hands and feet warm on longer rides in the winter in the NYC/CT area.

The best solution I've found so far for those longer base mile days is wearing a shoe that's one size too big, thick winter weight wool socks with a thin hiking liner sock with a windproof/lightly insulated shoe cover. In between the shoe cover and the shoe on top of the toes goes a HAND warmer that has been shaken and opened and let sit out for about 30 minutes inside the house before riding.

for the hands, a heavy weight wool liner glove with another hand warmer right on my inner wrist outside the wool glove. over the wool glove I usually use PI lobster claws but for very cold days I'll wear some outdoor research mittens that are designed for extremely low temps summiting mountains. they are extremely tough to shift and not the best for braking so best for a single speed or minimal shifting geared bike on a not so busy road.

my winter tights are Assos fully windproof on the front, a wool long sleeve underwear, and a winter cycling jacket that's totally windproof but has numerous venting options.

balaclava on the head that's thin but not windproof. then another craft hat that is windproof on the forehead but otherwise very thin.

hope that helps!

jpw
11-27-2012, 10:39 AM
I have major issues keeping my hands and feet warm on longer rides in the winter in the NYC/CT area.

I could be dumping sweat on my core, and my head happy and warm but my hands and feet will still be cold and eventually numb.

The best solution I've found so far for those longer base mile days is wearing a shoe that's one size too big, thick winter weight wool socks with a thin hiking liner sock with a windproof/lightly insulated shoe cover. In between the shoe cover and the shoe on top of the toes goes a HAND warmer that has been shaken and opened and let sit out for about 30 minutes inside the house before riding.

for the hands, a heavy weight wool liner glove with another hand warmer right on my inner wrist outside the wool glove. over the wool glove I usually use PI lobster claws but for very cold days I'll wear some outdoor research mittens that are designed for extremely low temps summiting mountains. they are extremely tough to shift and not the best for braking so best for a single speed or minimal shifting geared bike on a not so busy road.

my winter tights are Assos fully windproof on the front, a wool long sleeve underwear, and a winter cycling jacket that's totally windproof but has numerous venting options.

balaclava on the head that's thin but not windproof. then another craft hat that is windproof on the forehead but otherwise very thin.

hope that helps!

which Assos windproof tights do you have?

Likes2ridefar
11-27-2012, 10:43 AM
which Assos windproof tights do you have?

I think they were called the winter LL tights with no pad. they are a few years old.

a quick search doesn't bring them up exactly how mine look. they have stirrups, a small stomach zipper, and are bibs. they are totally windproof up front besides the very bottom where the shoe covers protect.

best tights I've ever used and definitely worth the cost. they have much better freedom of movement than other warm winter tights I've used.

PI Amfib tights appear to have been updated since I bought mine so perhaps they would be OK. I find them very warm as well but not nearly as comfortable. i use them for daily commutes and save the assos for long rides.

pakora
11-27-2012, 10:51 AM
Hands and feet are basically the body's radiators. If your core and head is warm, there is more blood flow to these areas to get rid of the heat and maintain 98.6... therefore warmer hands and feet. If your core/head is cool, less blood flow to hands and feet... and they'll feel colder.

Also, caffeine is a vasoconstrictor to some degree, so don't overdo it. Again, this would lead to less bloodflow to your hands and feet (dehydration has the same effect).

And no, I didn't suggest abstaining altogether... ;)

Interesting. I never put this together. I even used to proselytize to people in Montreal about frostbite that commuting in up to -25C was totally doable on this principle: your face will be uncomfortable and your hands and feet will get cold by the end, but if your head and core were warm you'd be fine, which is the same principle.

I couldn't figure out why sometimes on road rides in comparatively temperate SE Penna at the same temp and wind, my hands and feet were fine, other days starting cold and ending numb.

I lived in a freezing apartment and I dressed my core for how cold I already was as much as the outside temp :D

Clydesdale
11-27-2012, 11:13 AM
I ride when it's pretty cold out but usually not more than 90 minutes. I like a thin pair of wool socks under a little thicker pair of polypro socks. Then winter riding boots a size big and if needed shoe covers with the rubber bottoms, but that would be pretty rare. If I'm on a road bike, I would always use some kind of shoe cover and maybe a windproof sock liner, because I just use my regular shoes.

Two things help me.

Don't overdo it -it's hard to wick sweat in most winter boots and if there is moisture there the cold only gets worse. If your socks are wet when you finish you may actually want to try less stuff?

Remember to wiggle your toes while you ride. Feet and hands tend to be static so they can get cold quickly. Moving your toes some may help.