PDA

View Full Version : SRAM Powerlock chain links

eddief
11-25-2012, 05:16 PM
I can't believe it, but I began to upgrade one of my bikes all the way to 10 speeds today. Installed SRAM 10 speed chain, but was surprised at how much force it takes to snap in the Powerlock link...and that the instructions say, one link = one use, then replace.

Why can the 9 speed links routinely be reused and, in real reality, are you reusing the 10 speed links?

thegunner
11-25-2012, 05:35 PM
it helps if you grab a handful of brake and then just stomp on the pedal ;)

that said -- i prefer either the wipperman or kmc links, they're reusable and not NEARLY as bad to get off

gavingould
11-25-2012, 05:37 PM
i've heard of people re-using the 10sp SRAM links, but good luck popping it open.

i use Wipperman Connex links with SRAM and Wipperman chains on my SRAM-equipped bikes. they're really easy to open and are meant for re-use...

eddief
11-25-2012, 05:49 PM
to separate the chain after installing the Powerlock to use a chain tool. Do they mean pliers or use a chain tool to remove a pin?

thegunner
11-25-2012, 05:53 PM
you pinch the plates from the outside and push the plates inwards so that the pins slide in the slot. I've never needed anything more than a pair of pliers to help

Bruce K
11-25-2012, 05:54 PM
They mean a tool similar to the Park chain link tool

Basically a pair of pliers designed to pop the link

I own a set and they work great on all links

I have reused the links on occasion but generally replace them if I need to open them

BK

witcombusa
11-25-2012, 05:54 PM
to separate the chain after installing the Powerlock to use a chain tool. Do they mean pliers or use a chain tool to remove a pin?

Master link pliers

eddief
11-25-2012, 06:04 PM
but wondered what they meant by chain tool. i'm good to go. looks as if KMC makes links available at a decent price point.

Tony T
11-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Chain tool (http://www.parktool.com/product/screw-type-chain-tool-ct-7) to remove a pin. The PowerLock is "good for a one-time application only (http://www.sram.com/sram/road/technologies/powerlock)"

Tony T
11-25-2012, 06:09 PM
Nice new tool from Park soon for Campy 11s: Folding Chain Tool with Peening Anvil (http://www.parktool.com/product/folding-chain-tool-with-peening-anvil-CT-6-3)

iPaul
11-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Installed SRAM 10 speed chain, but was surprised at how much force it takes to snap in the Powerlock link...

Not sure if you followed the full instructions when you assembled, but with the link in the top side position of its rotation (heading towards chain rings, then apply pressure, I find the snap to be very easy with little force. Starting from the bottom (exiting), its the complete opposite, a real pain.

dave thompson
11-25-2012, 06:48 PM
but wondered what they meant by chain tool. i'm good to go. looks as if KMC makes links available at a decent price point.

Eddie, KMC links are dirt cheap and reusable many times. Buy a handful and be happy!

eddief
11-25-2012, 07:42 PM
that a reused SRAM Powerlock will not be as strong as a new or reused KMC link? I am completely ok with not reusing. Just trying to better understand the level of BS in published specs.

Bruce K
11-25-2012, 08:19 PM
I am sure that re-using a fairly "young" SRAM link would not be the end of the world.

Coming from a motorsports background, I just look at certain things as expendables (tires, helmets, brake pads, chains,cassettes, cables, etc.).

Links are pretty cheap and for me, I would rather be safe and follow the manufacturer's recommendations, even if they might be just hype and marketing.

Others can do as they see fit.

BK

pinkshogun
11-25-2012, 08:23 PM
the Park MLP-1 master link tool works great-ive got two

oldpotatoe
11-26-2012, 07:36 AM
that a reused SRAM Powerlock will not be as strong as a new or reused KMC link? I am completely ok with not reusing. Just trying to better understand the level of BS in published specs.

Well, I just had a sram 9s link fail for no apparent reason, on my road bike. No more sram chains or links for me, thanks. So, I would believe what the sram guys say about their 10s link or better yet, use a Wipperman or KMC link.