PDA

View Full Version : new gen. vittoria open pave - no more 24mm?

AngryScientist
11-24-2012, 05:03 PM
looks like the new generation vittoria open paves are going to be either 25 or 27mm. if this is true it deeply saddens me, i was always a fan of the 24mm designation. i know in reality this isnt going to mean much, but these are some of my favorite all-condition tires out there. the green strip appears to have migrated from the center stripe to dual outboard stripes. here's hoping the new version will be as good as the outgoing iteration.

any insider intel?

http://www.vittoria.com/en/product/cotton-tires/#product-4496

http://www.vittoria.com/wp-content/themes/vittoria/lib/script/timthumb.php?src=http://www.vittoria.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/Pave_CG_AP_7095.jpg&w=200&h=0&zc=0&q=100

JeffS
11-25-2012, 01:13 PM
I can't believe that they would spend the time to redesign it and intentionally leave it green.

Idiots.

I guess their internal style department has more pull than accounting. They are certainly losing sales because of it, and there's no way they couldn't know it.

Lovetoclimb
11-25-2012, 01:53 PM
That is sad to hear, I guess I need to start hoarding!

clweed
11-25-2012, 02:13 PM
I can't believe that they would spend the time to redesign it and intentionally leave it green.

Idiots.

I guess their internal style department has more pull than accounting. They are certainly losing sales because of it, and there's no way they couldn't know it.

I doubt that they are losing sales, I am happy to see my favorite tire has the green stripe back where it belongs.

chismog
11-25-2012, 04:47 PM
Does the green make it more sticky? I have the 24mm CG all blacks (for looks, of course) and both times I've wrecked in the past few years have been aboard these. Happened while cornering- once in damp conditions, once right after riding through some some water in the road. Call me paranoid but I'll only use them in dry conditions now. I know these are supposed to be nasty weather tires, but after my experience I can't trust the black shoulder compound in any kind of wet. Is the green somehow different?

martinrjensen
11-25-2012, 06:08 PM
I liked the green in the center. Makes it easier to spot cuts and such.

DHallerman
11-25-2012, 08:37 PM

Idiots.

Yes, that's me too.

I bought two or three pairs of the all-black style, back when Excel Sports carried it, and I really like the tire...a lot.

But that green kinda turns me off.

Look, there are several good types of 700x25 (or 24) tires on the market for general road riding from Conti, Michelin and other tires from Vittoria.

So, why should I bother with ones that offend my aesthetics?

Dave, who believes he's not the only person who frequents this forum who cares about how his bikes look

67-59
11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
I doubt that they are losing sales, I am happy to see my favorite tire has the green stripe back where it belongs.

They are. I heard about them a while back and was going to give them a try as a change from Michelins...but hated the look of the tires. Green on my blue/yellow bike would look awful, so I went with all black GP 4000S's instead. Don't know if I'd like the Open Paves better than the Contis or not...but I'll never know as long as they're black/green.

Others in this thread have said this as well...and I doubt we're the only ones.

choke
11-25-2012, 08:57 PM
I am happy to see my favorite tire has the green stripe back where it belongs.I too prefer the green on the sides like it used to be.....now if they'd just make the sidewalls tan again all would right.

esldude
11-25-2012, 09:41 PM
I have some with the green stripe in the middle. Not fond of the look. Though after a couple miles enough dirt sticks to it the green isn't so noticeable. I definitely didn't want the green on the sides.

technicolor
11-25-2012, 10:32 PM
I'll add to the chorus of "Nope. I wouldn't buy a green tire either". Wish they made a skin wall version. But, apparently they are making the Open Corsa Evo SC in a 25, which is exciting.

Kirk007
11-25-2012, 10:49 PM
They've been green forever; doubt the folks at Vittoria are losing sleep cause a few don't like green. I happen to like it but more importantly, they are a great winter tire in that size - a good blend of durability, adhesion and ride equality; superior in my experience to other offerings in the 24 mm size.

AngryScientist
11-26-2012, 05:44 AM
they keep the green for one reason, IMO - marketing.

there is no other single tire that is so easily spotted in the pro peloton. when you watch the classics, if you see a tire with a green stripe, it is instantly recognizable as a vittoria pave, period, no questions asked. that is invaluable, like the green or not...

mistermo
11-26-2012, 08:50 AM
For those of us who haven't ridden one of these, what makes the 24c Pave so great vs. any other quality tire in the 23-25c range?

67-59
11-26-2012, 09:06 AM
They've been green forever; doubt the folks at Vittoria are losing sleep cause a few don't like green. I happen to like it but more importantly, they are a great winter tire in that size - a good blend of durability, adhesion and ride equality; superior in my experience to other offerings in the 24 mm size.

Just curious, but how many other offerings are there in 24mm, and which have you tried that the Paves are superior to? I've seen plenty of 23 and 25mm tires, but pretty few 24s.

67-59
11-26-2012, 09:07 AM
they keep the green for one reason, IMO - marketing.

there is no other single tire that is so easily spotted in the pro peloton. when you watch the classics, if you see a tire with a green stripe, it is instantly recognizable as a vittoria pave, period, no questions asked. that is invaluable, like the green or not...

They could easily keep the green and make the pros ride on them, and still sell both green and black.

tv_vt
11-26-2012, 09:11 AM
Are the 25's or 27's available retail anywhere yet? All I'm seeing are the 24's.

FlashUNC
11-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Angry, curious why you're that torn up about the end of 24mm version if a 25mm is the likely replacement. 1mm surely doesn't make that much of a difference...

bluesea
11-26-2012, 09:43 AM
Vittoria might be targeting the OEM market, and the 25 could be a renamed 24.

Kirk007
11-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Just curious, but how many other offerings are there in 24mm, and which have you tried that the Paves are superior to? I've seen plenty of 23 and 25mm tires, but pretty few 24s.

I don't differentiate too much based on a millimeter particularly when I take a caliper to the various offerings. I find the various conti offerings to always run small - 25 seems closer to 23s and I just don't find the ride as nice to get equivalent durability on the gp all seasons. Michelins with equivalent ride haven't held up as well for me, and the more durable thicker Michelins don't feel as nice. The Vittorias are easier to mount on campy rims. The Vittorias are often less expensive when bought from the UK. Now having said that, this is splitting hairs, entirely subjective and may well me as much luck of the draw within the range of manufacturing variability. But I like what I like and for 24-25s that Vittorias and the nice Michelins, whatever they're called these days.

For most of my non-summer riding though I have gone to significantly wider tires like the Schwabe duranos in 28, and ruffy tuffys.

lhuerta
11-26-2012, 09:12 PM
Could all of you green tire haters please send me the Paves you tried and then threw in your parts bin...will be happy to adopt them from you and will offer a fair price. Here is why...
Thanks,
Lou

tv_vt
11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
That Cervelo truly rocks! Nice job. Didn't know you could get that green trim.

lhuerta
11-27-2012, 09:39 AM
That Cervelo truly rocks! Nice job. Didn't know you could get that green trim.

Thanks...standard colorway for 2011 R5 models. Lou