PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Lens

jpw
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Is a yellow lens a viable option for riding with glasses at night?

Nooch
11-23-2012, 02:50 PM
Is a yellow lens a viable option for riding with glasses at night?

I've used yellow, but clear is usually much better -- I've found the yellow kind of cancels out my headlight, and I see much better using a clear or nothing at all.. of course, nothing at all plus bugs flying at the lamp is a recipe for disaster..

Peter P.
11-23-2012, 02:52 PM
Yes. Not only have I worn yellow Oakleys, I am at this moment wearing my yellow tinted bifocals. According to my optometrist, they cut down on the amount of blue seen at night, enhancing night vision. He recommended trying them after I told him I had trouble seeing at night while driving, particularly in the rain.

If I recall, Oakley specs the yellow lenses attenuate light by 14% but I certainly don't detect any loss of night time visual acuity.

jpw
11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I've used yellow, but clear is usually much better -- I've found the yellow kind of cancels out my headlight, and I see much better using a clear or nothing at all.. of course, nothing at all plus bugs flying at the lamp is a recipe for disaster..

bugs are a menace

jpw
11-23-2012, 03:16 PM
Yes. Not only have I worn yellow Oakleys, I am at this moment wearing my yellow tinted bifocals. According to my optometrist, they cut down on the amount of blue seen at night, enhancing night vision. He recommended trying them after I told him I had trouble seeing at night while driving, particularly in the rain.

If I recall, Oakley specs the yellow lenses attenuate light by 14% but I certainly don't detect any loss of night time visual acuity.

blue light - that rings a bell. Thanks for the reminder.

So in your experience of riding in the dark a yellow lens is perfectly fine?

regularguy412
11-23-2012, 03:55 PM
bugs are a menace

Does anyone else besides me think that bug/cyclist collisions happen much more frequently now than they did , say........, 15 years ago?

Mike in AR:beer:

martinrjensen
11-23-2012, 05:51 PM
I use yellow in low light or early evening. I found them just too dark at night and switch to clear.

AgilisMerlin
11-23-2012, 06:19 PM
Does anyone else besides me think that bug/cyclist collisions happen much more frequently now than they did , say........, 15 years ago?

Mike in AR:beer:

What ?

Used to have sakadas hit me in the face and eyes when living in Virginia

Increase in frequency ?

regularguy412
11-23-2012, 08:27 PM
What ?

Increase in frequency ?

Exactly.

I used to be able to go weeks without getting hit. Nowadays, it seems that I get hit at least once on every ride. This year alone, I've even been stung by wasps three times -- not to mention the usual dragonfly or other hard-cased bug going right in the helmet hole or bouncing off my cheekbone.

So now even if it's getting a bit dark at the end of a ride, I'm wary of removing my shades -- just so I can keep the eye protection.

Mike in AR :beer:

AgilisMerlin
11-23-2012, 08:36 PM
Exactly.

I used to be able to go weeks without getting hit. Nowadays, it seems that I get hit at least once on every ride. This year alone, I've even been stung by wasps three times -- not to mention the usual dragonfly or other hard-cased bug going right in the helmet hole or bouncing off my cheekbone.

So now even if it's getting a bit dark at the end of a ride, I'm wary of removing my shades -- just so I can keep the eye protection.

Mike in AR :beer:

Bee's in mouth, fun

jpw
11-24-2012, 04:01 AM
Bee's in mouth, fun

breathe through nose

AgilisMerlin
11-24-2012, 04:12 AM
nose/young/basketball/crooked breathe through nose

yellow can be a mood enhancer on gra(e)y days

Nooch
11-24-2012, 06:14 AM

This makes sense then, since my LED headlights have a hue of blue to them!

Bob Ross
11-24-2012, 07:57 AM
So in your experience of riding in the dark a yellow lens is perfectly fine?

That's been my go-to lens for night riding. Works great; definitely does seem to enhance some contrast/detail, though I would bet that comes at the expense of others. Never been a problem for me though.

Added benefit is I can wear amber/yellow for early AM rides that start dark, and the tint offers some modest glare protection after the sun rises.

Gummee
11-24-2012, 08:00 AM
Lemme ask you a question: you're buying all those lumens, spending all that $ on high-tech LED lights and you want to block some of the light? Does that make sense?

Night = clear
Low light = yellow or saffron
Bright = regular tint

M

oldpotatoe
11-24-2012, 08:06 AM
What ?

Increase in frequency ?

Obama's fault.

djg
11-24-2012, 08:51 AM

Did he say why filtering that chunk of the spectrum would enhance night vision? Seems a little odd.

I dunno -- I find that yellow lenses just look darker than clear lenses at night, but whatever works for you.