PDA

View Full Version : Missing cable guide on BB shell (vintage frame)

phcollard
11-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi folks.

So I found this almost busted frame for cheap for my commuter project. It's a Concorde something.

There is no cable guide under the BB shell for the rear derailleur cable. Which makes me wonder how I'm gonna route the cable there? Can I get it through the vent holes of the BB shell for instance?

What do you think?

Cheers,

Philippe.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3032014/bbmissed.JPG

hockeybike
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
You need a clamp on downtube cable guide. Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIKE-SUNTOUR-Cable-Guide-Clamp-On-Downtube-Pass-BB-FOR-BACK-DERAILLEUR-NOS-6-/320807757625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ab1a1e739

rePhil
11-23-2012, 10:40 AM
Grind off the existing front one. Drill, tap and mount a plastic one.

phcollard
11-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Grind off the existing front one. Drill, tap and mount a plastic one.

Good idea but I don't have the tools I guess. Can I just glue it with epoxy?

Liberace
11-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Yup, just lightly sand it, clean it with rubbing alcohol and then epoxy it.

phcollard
11-23-2012, 10:54 AM
Yup, just lightly sand it, clean it with rubbing alcohol and then epoxy it.

Cool! Minimal work. I like it ;)

EricEstlund
11-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Just head to a bike shop. All it takes is a hand drill, and the drill bit/ tap for M5.

You could even cut off half the plastic guide if you want to use the existing guide. Cut a small piece of the inner tube from some shift housing and it will protect the steel and slide better.

PaulE
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Where is the cable housing stop for the rear derailleur - on the top or the bottom of the chainstay? If it's on the bottom, add the guide to the bottom bracket as discussed above. If it's on the top of the chainstay, you need to buy a clamp like the ebay example above. With the front derailleur cable guide brazed on to the bottom of the bottom bracket, my guess is that there was orignally a rear derailleur cable guide there too and that the cable stop is on the bottom of the chainstay.

johnniecakes
11-23-2012, 11:02 PM
I had a similar situation a few years ago. I used the 3M tape that holds automotive trim on a car to fasten the small plastic cable guide. Still holding in place with no issues.

ultraman6970
11-24-2012, 12:19 AM
Darn.... looks like a nice find...

What I would do... dremel the little thingy at the BB shell and drill a hole for a plastic one, those are way better IMO. Even campagnolo have some made of metal if you want to go that way.

Sandblast... car primer and paint, maybe just plain white and get the decals for the bike that have the color strips, car clear coat and ready to go. :)

You were closer I would offer you to paint that for the cost of the materials just to have something funny to do during the winter :D

oldpotatoe
11-24-2012, 07:31 AM
Where is the cable housing stop for the rear derailleur - on the top or the bottom of the chainstay? If it's on the bottom, add the guide to the bottom bracket as discussed above. If it's on the top of the chainstay, you need to buy a clamp like the ebay example above. With the front derailleur cable guide brazed on to the bottom of the bottom bracket, my guess is that there was orignally a rear derailleur cable guide there too and that the cable stop is on the bottom of the chainstay.

Well done! Only 8 posts before somebody asked the right question.

witcombusa
11-24-2012, 07:37 AM

I hear you but I have never seen an "under" front changer cable guide combined with an "over" rear changer cable guide.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I hear you but I have never seen an "under" front changer cable guide combined with an "over" rear changer cable guide.

Not critisizing...it's a bicycle but where the RD cable stop answers the OPs question.

I have, BTW-not common but it exists about the time FD without housing stops integrated into them, became common. Why there were single, clampon, above BB shell, guides.

phcollard
11-24-2012, 07:41 AM

LOL. The cable stop is on the bottom of the chainstay :)

oldpotatoe
11-24-2012, 07:43 AM
LOL. The cable stop is on the bottom of the chainstay :)

Then I would say, take it to a competent LBS, have them grind the FD guide off, drill, tap, install a nice plastic one..touch the paint up under the BB shell...

phcollard
11-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Sandblast... car primer and paint, maybe just plain white and get the decals for the bike that have the color strips, car clear coat and ready to go. :)

Yes I guess I'm gonna have it powdercoated. The paint is in real bad condition, some rust spots, lots of touch ups, paint missing in some areas, yellowing, chrome is dull/scratched/gone. That's for a commuter but I like a fresh coat :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/3032014/concorde1.JPG

I was thinking red with white decals.

witcombusa
11-24-2012, 07:46 AM
Not critisizing...it's a bicycle but where the RD cable stop answers the OPs question.

I have, BTW-not common but it exists about the time FD without housing stops integrated into them, became common. Why there were single, clampon, above BB shell, guides.

Used with under the BB rear cable routing?

Late 70's to early 80's was the common transition to under the BB. Pre indexed too, which poses the question, why? Cleaner look? (dirtier cables though).

oldpotatoe
11-24-2012, 07:57 AM
Used with under the BB rear cable routing?

Late 70's to early 80's was the common transition to under the BB. Pre indexed too, which poses the question, why? Cleaner look? (dirtier cables though).

?

ultraman6970
11-24-2012, 10:42 AM
You know what??? in your area there is a guy doing bike painting (maybe was you the one who posted the guy here) and they even do chrome, the frame looks super sweet. I had the cash i would restore it back from the dead.

Mention this because the frame looks in good condition, you can get chrome done in your area (here i cant do that) and thats a big bonus because maybe the work will be well priced not like here that the thing is just stupidly expensive and you have to send the frame like zillion of miles away.

That paint job is doable, and if you find it for cheap then is totally restorable. Hmm... for comuting just get something like a scott sub 20 or so, cheap enough, fast enough and probably some of the few hybrids were you can mimic your road position.

:)

ps: the astore model was not low end just in case, you really have something in there.

phcollard
11-24-2012, 10:51 AM
You know what??? in your area there is a guy doing bike painting (maybe was you the one who posted the guy here) and they even do chrome, the frame looks super sweet. I had the cash i would restore it back from the dead.

Mention this because the frame looks in good condition, you can get chrome done in your area (here i cant do that) and thats a big bonus because maybe the work will be well priced not like here that the thing is just stupidly expensive and you have to send the frame like zillion of miles away.

That paint job is doable, and if you find it for cheap then is totally restorable. Hmm... for comuting just get something like a scott sub 20 or so, cheap enough, fast enough and probably some of the few hybrids were you can mimic your road position.

:)

ps: the astore model was not low end just in case, you really have something in there.

Yes Noah Rosen in Toronto is doing amazing restorations but he's not really cheap! It's well worth it when you have a collector's or a frame that you really like. But this Concorde... you know... I paid less than $100 for it and it's not really what I would call high end. It's basic tubing, and the frame is not really well made. Plus I already have a "race" bike - Serotta - and a rain/training bike - Merckx - so this one will be the commuter :)

ultraman6970
11-24-2012, 11:25 AM
Darn man... 100?? thats a steal... you mentioned rough frame, well tenchinally speaking all the european frames look like that w/o paint man. Basically get the frames out of the factory asap because of costs.

Had the money I would buy it from you, white with metallic blue and just metallic grey and silver or black glitter in the rear end just over the metallic grey... darn Im even picturing a way to save it :)

cnighbor1
11-24-2012, 11:37 AM

Tools!!!! None!! Just buy a $6 metal file and have at it to finish use emery sand paper for metal and hold each end and pull back and worth over BB to smooth out suface

charles

rePhil
11-24-2012, 12:46 PM
Nevermind...