PDA

View Full Version : Questions for wheel builders and experts

Robbos
11-21-2012, 09:08 PM
I'm penning a short article on road wheels and I want to present some straight forward details how differences in weight, aerodynamics, etc., impact (or don't) performance. I've a few stats and numbers, but I'm looking for a few more:
1. Does anyone have numbers on the relative weight savings of titanium and aluminum freehub bodies over steel? Its hard to be accurate when brands don't have the same design in the three materials. Has anyone seen any comparisons?
2. I'd like to find data on the relative advantage of low spoke count, bladed spokes, aero rims, etc. vs. 'traditional' wheels (32 spoke, etc).
3. Any other studies or data on wheel performance would be appreciated. Has anyone ever tested durability of different wheel builds, i.e. less spokes, etc..
This said, I'm not up to leafing through pages of mathematical equations. As the great Homer Simpsons said, "Can you dumb it down a little?"

On a side note, I've always believed that traditional box-section rims are more 'compliant' to a small degree than profiled aero rims, but a research paper that tested this hypothesis demonstrated that the differences would not be perceptible. Yet I've seen contradictory studies. Can-O-worms Forum material?