PDA

View Full Version : Dynamo Wheel for my commuter

559Rando
11-21-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm going to pull the trigger on a dynamo 650B wheel and have two front runnners (no pun intended):

1) Handspun WE7273 which is a 32 hole Velocity Synergy (matches the rear wheel :)), Shimano LX dynamo, DT db spokes, and brass nipples about $175 shipped

2) lightly used 28 hole Synergy with SON 20R (SONdelux), skinny spokes, alloy nipples. Built by Anthony at Longleaf, with new Spanninga headlight $300 shipped

I lean towards the Handpsun so I can buy better lights, but the SON hub is clearly better. In fact, I can't even find much on the Shimano LX dynamo. If it were an DH-N72. then I'd be swayed towards the Shimano. I'm also afraid the 28 hole rim wheel might not be so robust for commuting since I carry my schtuff up front.

Any thoughts or other directions I should take this?

Daniel

cat6
11-21-2012, 11:08 AM
The album was originally going to be called "The Invisible Men", but three weeks before the release, according to Roger Taylor, they decided to change the name to The Miracle. The striking cover art utilised the Quantel Paintbox, then state of the art image-manipulation technology, to combine photographs of the familiar faces of the four band members into one morphed Gestalt image, in line with their decision to dispense with individual credits and simply present their music as the product of Queen; the back cover went a step further with a seamless regiment of the bands' eyes. Derek Riggs, best known for illustrating Iron Maiden covers, claims that Queen "stole" the idea for this album cover from his cover for the single The Clairvoyant.

fiamme red
11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
In fact, I can't even find much on the Shimano LX dynamo.The latest issue of Bicycle Quarterly reviewed a number of generator hubs. I don't remember if this was among them, but see if you can locate a copy.

savine
11-21-2012, 11:26 AM
The Schmidt SON is the way to go, in my opinion for what it counts this is the only one thats worth its price.

559Rando
11-21-2012, 11:30 AM
The latest issue of Bicycle Quarterly reviewed a number of generator hubs. I don't remember if this was among them, but see if you can locate a copy.

In addition to SON, SP and Sanyo, they reviewed the Shimano N80, which is essentially the N72 with an Al axle.

Past Shimano dynamos were mixed, hence some of my hesitance with the LX dynamo.

JLP
11-21-2012, 11:59 AM
Yeah, get the schmidt hub.

skijoring
11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
Try to get brass nipples on that Longleaf build unless it is already done.
I have had two bad experiences with aluminum nipples just in 2012!

559Rando
11-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Try to get brass nipples on that Longleaf build unless it is already done.
I have had two bad experiences with aluminum nipples just in 2012!

The reason I can get that wheel built by Longleaf cheap is that it's already built/has low miles.
The alloy nipples were another point that gave me pause, but I am in southern California, so my weather is pretty calm most of the time.

etu
11-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Doing the same thing for my all-arounder. 650b wheel with dynamo hub. Going with the Schmidt and Pacenti rims.

Have only heard glowing positives on the Schmidt hubs. So even though they are expensive, seems like a good investment.

Just did a late afternoon ride this past weekend and rode 2 hours back in the dark with Dinotte's with fresh batteries and even a spare, but still nagging worry about running out of juice. It will be nice to have that sense of self sufficiency!:banana:

What are you planning for your rear? I think I will keep my using Dinotte since it is really BRIGHT and last a long time on the blinking mode.

cromo900
11-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Out of curiosity, what lights are you looking at? I’m thinking about a dynamo setup for the cargo bike, but not sure if there’s a consensus on a good light. Hub will be Shimano Alfine (DHS501).

modernfuturist
11-21-2012, 01:18 PM
Amongst my rando friends, the B&M IQ CYO and Schmidt Edelux are the most popular choices.

The new B&M Luxos look very good and improved (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp).

saab2000
11-21-2012, 02:25 PM
I use a Shimano hub at the moment and see no reason for another. That said, I have never used the Schmidt. It is obviously high quality and there's no real reason to not get one, especially if one support small companies.

The new B&M Luxos is also very interesting to me and I plan to get one. I'm not keen on my Supernova E3 Triple. It is OK, but not great. B&M uses mirrors and optics to shape the beam, which is surprisingly useful.

However you do it, you likely won't be disappointed in the results. Dynamo hubs are terrific in that they rarely if ever need maintenance and the lights are pretty good too and the idea of never charging a battery is also quite nice.

savine
11-21-2012, 03:03 PM
I used for three winter Shimano hubs and each year had to build a new hub in as the quality was so bad, bearings shot and play thats why I took the Schmidt and have on two winter bikes one with b&m light n other with Schmidt light.

559Rando
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Savine, which Shimano hubs did you use?

jbl
11-22-2012, 12:21 AM
I've had my eye on this SP (http://www.ebay.com/itm/SP-hub-dynamo-dynohub-PV-8-32h-The-most-efficient-and-lightest-/281017897319), but I can provide no first hand information.

I've read good things here and elsewhere though.

I have the SP hub laced to a Velocity A23 for commuting. Nitto M12 up front for groceries and locks. So far, through a spring, summer, and autumn of NYC commuting, it's held up fine. No noticeable vibration on my bike.

I use the hub with a B&M IQ Cyo, which has been fantastic so far.

palincss
11-22-2012, 06:13 AM
I have two SON 28s that have been in regular service for many years: one since 2002 & the other since 2005. They each have between 15,000 and 20,000 miles on them, neither has ever had a moment's attention or maintenance, and they both work fine.

NHAero
11-22-2012, 02:32 PM
I have a Schmidt hub on my Big Dummy with the IQ CYO R. I wish the beam was wider, to throw some light left and right so I can see what's in the turn before I turn in. The hub is great.