PDA

View Full Version : Have Info on Bianchi Levitation Wheel?

jeduardo
11-20-2012, 04:14 PM
Received this Bianchi XL Levitation Fusion CarboFusion rear wheel from a neighbor who knew I rode and happened to discover it after cleaning out one of his rental properties.
There is an Ambrosio label underneath the Bianchi, but don't know it that refers to the Rim/Hub or both? Since it has a VG condition Campy FH I thought I may be able to use it as an indoor trainer, but the axle/cones/nuts were very loose. After snugging them up, FH still feels funky/slight binding (not sure if some sort of proprietary washer missing). The FH assembly looks a bit suspect, but since I don't have an original image of the FH and its required parts I hoping someone owns or has had dealings with this wheel before.
Can this wheel be saved, and better yet is it worth it?
Does anybody happen to know anything about this wheel's internals?
Thanks in advance

AgilisMerlin
11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
if it gels with your drivetrain, run it as a winter wheel.

pull the axle, check cones, have a look, grease it up. :banana:

just a thought

oldpotatoe
11-20-2012, 06:33 PM
Received this Bianchi XL Levitation Fusion CarboFusion rear wheel from a neighbor who knew I rode and happened to discover it after cleaning out one of his rental properties.
There is an Ambrosio label underneath the Bianchi, but don't know it that refers to the Rim/Hub or both? Since it has a VG condition Campy FH I thought I may be able to use it as an indoor trainer, but the axle/cones/nuts were very loose. After snugging them up, FH still feels funky/slight binding (not sure if some sort of proprietary washer missing). The FH assembly looks a bit suspect, but since I don't have an original image of the FH and its required parts I hoping someone owns or has had dealings with this wheel before.
Can this wheel be saved, and better yet is it worth it?
Does anybody happen to know anything about this wheel's internals?
Thanks in advance

Looks like an Alex hub..cart bearings..maybe it just needs a take apart, clean, maybe some new bearings..2 in the FH body, 2 in the hub body.

ultraman6970
11-20-2012, 06:46 PM
Why is called carbon? no carbon in there at all :)

That hub design has been around for a while, velocity uses something similar since centuries ago, as potato mentioned, alex rims have something similar aswell.

If you want to open those hubs you might need 2 allen 5 mms or like 3 cone wenches. I have seen two versions so no idea what you have in there but arent hard to work with.

AgilisMerlin
11-20-2012, 08:36 PM
I read some reviews, stating the rear wheel is pretty flexible.

Knowing this, and what looks to be a pretty new wheel, if bearings (smoothness) can be adjusted/replaced - then a nice looking back up wheel

I have a set of 298r alex wheels which is on its 4th year. And not a single problem besides wearing rear sidewalls down (v-brake style). Oh, and one of the 3 pawls little return springs has lost its umph' (it pops 50% time during engagement). Oh, and the freehub bodies side cone has to be hand tightened everytime i place the wheel back in stay or the freehub body rocks side to side. A great wheel anyways :eek:

good luck

jeduardo
11-20-2012, 09:19 PM
Ha Ha so you want some carbon? Well here ya go
Not my pics, but you can see the carbs, but is live or is it memorex?
Seriously, another forumite sent some info from yellow Jersey, I guess these wheels were aftermarket dealer offerings as well as stock option on '01-'04? RC bikes such as the Boron and some earlier carbon models
The rim is Ambrosio T-36 w/Bianchi graphics
According to Euro boards, hub is Miche built w/carbon insrt
I'm going to try to hunt down more info on this FH before taking it apart, but I believe several of you are correct in stating that it most likely a simple take down (hope the pawls all there & ok). Sounds like a post T-day project
I'll post how it goes

Why is called carbon? no carbon in there at all :).

ultraman6970
11-20-2012, 10:42 PM
I had a pair of velocity spartacus and are just identical to this ones, yes are flexible. For a light guy are ok but maybe in a carbon frame and with a 175 plus ass driving the bike sure those will feel weird specially when changing direction. I got that problem with mines and the built of the spartacus was darn solid but my 200 pounds ass was too much for them. Mines were built with wheelsmith bladed spokes (really thin spokes IMO). Since that day I moved out of that hub design.

If the op got them fro free is a good deal.

AgilisMerlin
11-21-2012, 06:39 AM
Ha Ha (hope the pawls all there & ok). Sounds like a post T-day project
I'll post how it goes

some pics of the hub/free would be nice.

curious

jeduardo
11-22-2012, 12:18 AM
After I disassemble FH in order to assess the situation. For those who may be curious, I will post pics of the operation even if it looks as if the "patient" may not make it.
Axle vise...check, Cone wrenches...check, Phil Wood Grease...check... Screwdriver...yes please! ;)

retrofit
11-22-2012, 04:33 PM
I have a set of these hanging from the garage. As I recall they have sealed cartridge bearings. Just need a cone wrench to remove the free hub body.

retrofit
11-22-2012, 04:42 PM
Just pulled the FH body...FWIW the sealed bearing reads Japan EZO 6901RS

oldpotatoe
11-23-2012, 07:29 AM
Just pulled the FH body...FWIW the sealed bearing reads Japan EZO 6901RS

Probably 6901 in the hub as well. Easy out/in..make sure you replace any wee shims, spacers, 'maybe' between the FH and bearing in the hub body, under the FH body.

retrofit
11-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Probably 6901 in the hub as well. Easy out/in..make sure you replace any wee shims, spacers, 'maybe' between the FH and bearing in the hub body, under the FH body.

Yep, 6901. After gently lifting a rubber seal, the sealed bearing is visible.

jeduardo, it appears that some king of bearing press would be required to remove/replace the bearing the the FH. OP would know best.