PDA

View Full Version : OT maybe: What are you watching for on Black Friday?

roguedog
11-20-2012, 02:00 PM
Anyone doing any Black Friday chasing?

I'm not going to line up at Target @ 11pm Thurs night but I will be watchign for some things and if they come up then maybe I'll buy.

Things I'm sorta watching for are:

Asus Tablet (my bro is looking for one)
Cycling Wind or Rain Jacket
Dryer

What are you on the look out for? And are you going to sit out in front of whatever store to do it?

BumbleBeeDave
11-20-2012, 02:06 PM
. . . is a nice weather forecast so I can go ride!*

BBD

*but not anywhere near the mall! ;)

54ny77
11-20-2012, 02:15 PM
zombies.

Joel
11-20-2012, 02:18 PM
A light northwesterly wind and clear skies so I can do a 100 miler with a little tailwind on the way home on my favorite course.

You couldn't pay me to go near a mall - no way - no how!

zennmotion
11-20-2012, 02:19 PM

BBD

Yep what he said. I'm watching my azz for the inebriated locked and loaded Elmer Fudds in orange vests during the busiest day of hunting season in Upstate NY as I chase dust goblins down gravel roads back home in the Finger Lakes. I'd return my flat screen TV back to avoid a shopping mall that day. In our family, we separate Christmas from the consumer spending, agree to modest and silly New Year's secular gift giving instead, take advantage of the post-christmas sales and celebrate the holiday for what it is/was before it became a cornerstone to the US economy.

Ken Robb
11-20-2012, 02:33 PM
distracted drivers going shopping.

AngryScientist
11-20-2012, 02:54 PM
In our family, we separate Christmas from the consumer spending, agree to modest and silly New Year's secular gift giving instead, take advantage of the post-christmas sales and celebrate the holiday for what it is/was before it became a cornerstone to the US economy.

thats cool zen.

jr59
11-20-2012, 03:12 PM
I get to work:(

pinkshogun
11-20-2012, 03:40 PM
the closest bike shop to me is having their first annual Black Friday ride.

zap
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
Interesting critters as I ride.

johnniecakes
11-20-2012, 03:44 PM
40" or so TV for trainer riding for the next 3 months.

jmoore
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
50% off a custom K.Bedford frame.

Somehow I think I'll be looking for a LONG time for that one :D

Johnny P
11-20-2012, 04:26 PM

BBD

And it looks like it will be nice. +1

parris
11-20-2012, 05:57 PM
I was in my LBS this afternoon and they got a call from someone asking if they were opening at 4am for black Friday. the counterman to his credit told the caller that he was welcome to come down to the shop but that they wouldn't be there till 1100:hello:

MattTuck
11-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Hoping I might be able to score some rollers or a mechanic repair stand sometime this winter.

As for non bike goodies, I recently got turned onto this website: http://thewirecutter.com/ Seems like a pretty good collection of 'worth it' products.

zennmotion
11-20-2012, 06:35 PM
Yep what he said. I'm watching my azz for the inebriated locked and loaded Elmer Fudds in orange vests during the busiest day of hunting season in Upstate NY as I chase dust goblins down gravel roads back home in the Finger Lakes. I'd return my flat screen TV back to avoid a shopping mall that day.

I may have been mistaken, I think the deer may be on to something that I should know about. No Rudolph jokes please, it's demeaning and animist.

http://www.salon.com/2012/11/19/weird_news_three_deer_use_automatic_doors_to_enter _iowa_store/

Liv2RideHard
11-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Black Friday is for the birds. In our neck of the woods people have been camping out in front of best buy for a week already. What the hell is wrong with these people? These knuckleheads can waste away on a sidewalk, buy whatever it is they want, go home and hook it up and continue to waste away. I have an idea...instead of wasting your time camped out in the name of consumerism how about volunteering some time in your community. Do something productive and deliver or serve a Thanksgiving meal to someone less fortunate. Buy some gifts and donate them to Toys for Tots. Find and Angel tree and put a smile on a child's face on Christmas morning. They can camp out on a sidewalk for a gadget though. Those hours spent in a tent could go a long way towards bettering the local community. Just had to get that off my chest.

cat6
11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
The album was originally going to be called "The Invisible Men", but three weeks before the release, according to Roger Taylor, they decided to change the name to The Miracle. The striking cover art utilised the Quantel Paintbox, then state of the art image-manipulation technology, to combine photographs of the familiar faces of the four band members into one morphed Gestalt image, in line with their decision to dispense with individual credits and simply present their music as the product of Queen; the back cover went a step further with a seamless regiment of the bands' eyes. Derek Riggs, best known for illustrating Iron Maiden covers, claims that Queen "stole" the idea for this album cover from his cover for the single The Clairvoyant.

sjbraun
11-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I'll be working, serving the taxpayer and America's Veterans.

But before I head to work, I'll be looking for a deal on a front headlight. I need something for 24 Hours in the Old Pueblo.

Thinking about the Lezyne Mega Drive, a Niterider, or something from Cygolite.

eddief
11-20-2012, 08:01 PM
I'd like to see what effect some folks getting together can have on low prices vs wages. Not sure what wages a retail clerk should earn, but I am blown away by these stats:

Collectively, the Waltons control over 48% of the company, and are worth a combined total of $102.7 billion (as of 2012).[2]

In 2011 six members of the Walton family have the same net worth as the bottom 30% of American families combined.

93legendti
11-20-2012, 08:25 PM
Black Friday is for the birds. In our neck of the woods people have been camping out in front of best buy for a week already. What the hell is wrong with these people? These knuckleheads can waste away on a sidewalk, buy whatever it is they want, go home and hook it up and continue to waste away. I have an idea...instead of wasting your time camped out in the name of consumerism how about volunteering some time in your community. Do something productive and deliver or serve a Thanksgiving meal to someone less fortunate. Buy some gifts and donate them to Toys for Tots. Find and Angel tree and put a smile on a child's face on Christmas morning. They can camp out on a sidewalk for a gadget though. Those hours spent in a tent could go a long way towards bettering the local community. Just had to get that off my chest.

How do you know they aren't "productive" the other 51 weeks of the year?

ORMojo
11-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Unless I'm buying something local from a small business I'm not buying anything at all.

Yes! Let's change this thread to who will be supporting Small Business Saturday the following day.

Liv2RideHard
11-20-2012, 09:01 PM
How do you know they aren't "productive" the other 51 weeks of the year?

A generalization I know. Yes it is possible but rather unlikely based upon the interviews they gave. Just calling it how I see it, not how everyone sees it.

1centaur
11-20-2012, 09:25 PM
Not sure what wages a retail clerk should earn..

"Should" is a very problematical word, and in many more ways than when "earn" follows. Freedom of contract seems preferable to the alternatives to me, but I recognize that free does not mean easy or convenient or guaranteed.

tuxbailey
11-20-2012, 09:36 PM
I already got the thing I wanted this past weekend.

JeffS
11-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Yes! Let's change this thread to who will be supporting Small Business Saturday the following day.

consumerism by any other name...

572cv
11-21-2012, 06:26 AM
I'm going to be watching for my Dad to start doing better. I'm on that now.....

Elefantino
11-21-2012, 06:44 AM
A) I don't understand Black Friday, either. But then I hate crowds.

B) I have never, ever had the Friday after Thanksgiving off. Never. No different this year.

Aaron O
11-21-2012, 09:08 AM
I'm not trying to sound zen or anything, but there really isn't anything that I especially want and nothing that I need. I have nicer bikes than I could have imagined, I have the electronic toys I want (thanks wife for the new iPad!) and I feel sated in life. If someone gave me the new electronic Campy, I wouldn't complain...but it's not something I go to bed dreaming about either.

I want more time to ride and I want my leg to recover more quickly, but they aren't selling that at Target.

boxerboxer
11-21-2012, 09:46 AM
I'm going to be doing some cycling with my week-old baby boy, and by cycling I mean the endless 3-hour cycle of eat-sleep-dump. Haven't been this excited for black Friday since black Friday was a thing :)

Mr Cabletwitch
11-21-2012, 10:05 AM
I'm going to be dealing with a couple hundred people avoiding the shopping malls by playing a round of golf, and I couldn't be happier. This time of year a packed day on my course helps pay the bills for a couple weeks. My wife however has to go into work at 10pm thursday night until 4am Friday and then back into work at 3pm :eek: