PDA

View Full Version : Thanksgiving in Montreal

Fixed
11-20-2012, 06:09 AM
I am spending the holidays with fixed jr this week , beautiful city .his birthday this week and a piano recital from the budding pianist , yoga in a new city and swimming in an underground pool , visits to the museums .I am looking forward to a wonderful week
Cheers :)

nighthawk
11-20-2012, 06:13 AM
Get out of town. My gf and I will be up there too. Planning a visit to the museum of fine arts and the biodome. What museums do you plan to see?

AngryScientist
11-20-2012, 06:23 AM
very cool fixed. enjoy yourself and your holiday.

Fixed
11-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Get out of town. My gf and I will be up there too. Planning a visit to the museum of fine arts and the biodome. What museums do you plan to see?

Museum of fine arts on Sherbrooke . Two blocks away from fixed jr's apartment
Magnifacent morning today already seen a few cyclist out and about
Recital is at McGill

henrypretz
11-20-2012, 07:34 AM
Sounds like it will be a fantastic week. Always fun to practice yoga in a different locale. Enjoy the time with your family, fixed!

Henry

witcombusa
11-20-2012, 08:49 AM
Too bad you can't catch a game @ Centre Bell....

Go Habs (maybe this year?) :banana:

Also one of my favorite restaurants down by the water in old Montreal
http://www.gibbys.com/index.php

zennmotion
11-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Museum of fine arts on Sherbrooke . Two blocks away from fixed jr's apartment
Magnifacent morning today already seen a few cyclist out and about
Recital is at McGill

I played a cello recital in my last year at McGill- nice to hear about some spark for real music- wish I could hear, what's on the piano recital program? If you have some time, one little off the beaten path gem is the building and tiny little museum for McGill's Northern Studies program. It's at the base of Mt. Royal, sort of on the way if you're going on a nice walk up the carriage rd into the parc, and it's a cool little place with displays of Inuit art and culture, along with arctic exploration. I don't know what it looks like now, but it was one of my favorite places to get away from the library to study- felt like an old explorer's club (no cigars or brandy snifters allowed, alas). Redpath (natural history) museum in the center of campus is pretty cool too.

PS, don't miss Ben's Deli on Maisonneauve for amazing smoked meat (pastrami) and latkes- best done late at night for the full cultural experience, plus I was convinced the (already enormous) portions got even bigger after 11pm- major plus on all fronts for a university kid.

achurch
11-20-2012, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately headed the other way tomorrow (going to see family in boston). Would have been fun to meet for a coffee.
Glad your son is enjoying Mcgill. If he every needs a local contact, give him my name.

schwa86
11-20-2012, 10:30 AM
I have only three words for you: smoked meat sandwich.

merlinmurph
11-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Hey, my wife and I are going to be up there, too! We haven't quite figured out what we're doing, yet, but we're looking forward to it. Last time I was there was for a batchelor party, so I really didn't see much....
Enjoy your stay,
Murph

Fixed
11-20-2012, 10:58 AM
I played a cello recital in my last year at McGill- nice to hear about some spark for real music- wish I could hear, what's on the piano recital program? If you have some time, one little off the beaten path gem is the building and tiny little museum for McGill's Northern Studies program. It's at the base of Mt. Royal, sort of on the way if you're going on a nice walk up the carriage rd into the parc, and it's a cool little place with displays of Inuit art and culture, along with arctic exploration. I don't know what it looks like now, but it was one of my favorite places to get away from the library to study- felt like an old explorer's club (no cigars or brandy snifters allowed, alas). Redpath (natural history) museum in the center of campus is pretty cool too.

PS, don't miss Ben's Deli on Maisonneauve for amazing smoked meat (pastrami) and latkes- best done late at night for the full cultural experience, plus I was convinced the (already enormous) portions got even bigger after 11pm- major plus on all fronts for a university kid.
Thanks. He is playing a sonata by Schubert and Schumann's The Forest Scenes
I will look for those treats
thank you
Cheers.

tv_vt
11-20-2012, 11:46 AM
I'm jealous, Fixed. My wife and I are long overdue to the big city to the north.

Hope you have some good weather.

Cheers,

T in VT next door

Point Grey
11-20-2012, 11:54 AM

Sorry to tell you but Bens closed in 2006. I would suggest Schwartz's which is still open on St Laurent boulevard.

zennmotion
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
Sorry to tell you but Bens closed in 2006. I would suggest Schwartz's which is still open on St Laurent boulevard.

Schwart's was always fantastic too, the windows always completely steamed over in cold weather after a march up (what was, but now surely gentrified) the windy frozen concrete wasteland of Boul. St. Laurent. Big pile of smoked pastrami on a plate, another pile of sliced rye on another, big jar of brown mustard for the tourists. And an extra pickle if you asked. I always asked. Bummer about Bens, clearly time for me to go back and fix everything, including the demise of the Olympic Velodrome.

zennmotion
11-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Thanks. He is playing a sonata by Schubert and Schumann's The Forest Scenes
I will look for those treats
thank you
Cheers.

Good taste, two of my favorite composers for piano. Too bad the McGill music scene is mostly known for Men Without Hats (a one-hit embarrassment from my day) and later (and better, I guess) Arcade Fire.

Listen, and cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iOUnO-EssI

Fixed
11-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Good taste, two of my favorite composers for piano. Too bad the McGill music scene is mostly known for Men Without Hats (a one-hit embarrassment from my day) and later (and better, I guess) Arcade Fire.

Listen, and cringe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iOUnO-EssI

McGill is home to Marina Mdivani one the worlds greatest and student of Emile Giles ,that is why fixed jr is going there . She is in her seventies but has worked magic on him . He loves her dearly
Cheers ,

ultraman6970
11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
Montreal... hmm... are you guys going to "rue st Catherine"? :D not asking because of the titties bars ok? :P Just because like 2 streets down the road crossing from the univ. and towards old town you have IMO the bests chinese restaurants ever.

ps: go to the titties bars afterwards :P

Polyglot
11-20-2012, 06:44 PM
You do realize that thanksgiving was last month in Montreal.

zennmotion
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
McGill is home to Marina Mdivani one the worlds greatest and student of Emile Giles ,that is why fixed jr is going there . She is in her seventies but has worked magic on him . He loves her dearly
Cheers ,

I like stories like that, he's lucky that she's still teaching. I had a brilliant and very elderly husband-wife team of crystal physics professors there that had founded an entire branch of the science that was the basis of lcd displays in electronics. Collaborated during WWII between their labs in France and Germany and married after the war and immigrated to Canada as refugees. I hope, unlike me he isn't too star struck and makes an effort to keep in touch with her after graduation.

ultraman6970
11-20-2012, 06:47 PM
So the canadians actually bought the land before then? :D

Fixed
11-20-2012, 07:11 PM
Montreal... hmm... are you guys going to "rue st Catherine"? :D not asking because of the titties bars ok? :P Just because like 2 streets down the road crossing from the univ. and towards old town you have IMO the bests chinese restaurants ever.

ps: go to the titties bars afterwards :P
Wouldn't miss it , and A trip to Montreal for mrs fixed and me always includes a shopping spree in Montreal's Chinatown .

Cheers

witcombusa
11-20-2012, 07:12 PM

Oddly enough corresponding with the end of the growing season and the harvest full moon....

I've often wondered how it got put in November in the US...
They can screw anything up here..I think Lincoln got it wrong

Ken Robb
11-20-2012, 07:42 PM
FDR moved it ahead a week at the request of merchants so the "shopping season" between Thanksgiving and Xmas would be longer.

ckamp
11-20-2012, 08:34 PM
Have fun, go buy a Marinoni for Fixed Jr.

deechee
11-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Samurai exhibition still going on at Pointe-à-Callières (http://pacmusee.qc.ca/en/exhibitions/temporary) (although its just a guy's private collection). There is a better exhibition (http://www.mcq.org/en/mcq/expositions.php?idEx=w3387)in Quebec city but I haven't had a chance to check them out yet.

Since the demise of our local rag the Mirror, some of the writers have been keeping tabs on local events at CultMtl (http://cultmontreal.com/). Check it out.

Fixed
11-21-2012, 05:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up the samurai show sounds cool
Cheers :) 28 degrees and lots of cyclist riding they grow them hardy up here imho

akelman
11-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Have a wonderful trip, Butch. If you have a moment, this (http://www.ducdelorraine.ca/) is among my favorite bakeries in the world. Their croissants are unbelievably good. Also, they're located near McGill and only a short walk from St. Joseph's Oratory (http://www.saint-joseph.org/), which is worth a look.

Fixed
11-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Wow I am staying with my son until his last day of school before Christmas break , I am flying back with him on the 14 th of December mrs fixed goes back this Sunday , we changed my flight so I would be coming home with fixed jr ,this is a once in a lifetime opportunity for some father son bonding .i am excited and a little nervous being away from mrs fixed for so long the longest by far in 26 years of marriage .

Fixed
11-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Oops double post. Sorry
Cheers

nova
11-22-2012, 07:32 AM
my suggestion would be to leave the general downtown area. http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/67/Montreal-restaurants.html never really let's me down, and for chinese- i'd actually skip chinatown and get dumplings. Qing Hua on Lincoln is probably the best in montreal(they actually have a new location in chinatown, but i've heard it's not the same).