PDA

View Full Version : Tire sealant--learn me

flydhest
11-19-2012, 10:21 PM
So, I just put some new tubies on tonight and was thinking about people's references to Stan's or Vittoria pit stop. Does it work on any tire or do some not have removable stem cores? If I have some flatted tires, can I just squirt and bring them back to life?

Help, I am ignorant.

93legendti
11-19-2012, 10:32 PM
I can only speak to Stan's in tubeless tire setups- we have a wheel set up for tubeless demos at the shop. My kids alone have stabbed it at least 20 times with a sharpened spoke. Even sidewall holes have sealed. Still going strong 2 months later.

fogrider
11-19-2012, 10:34 PM
start here:
http://www.tufo.com/technology-2/
http://www.tufo.com/data/files/tmel-standard-en.pdf

flydhest
11-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Sorry, should have been more clear. I have been gluing and riding tubulars for decades. Just ignorant about sealants.

Thanks for the info on the tubeless Adam.

93legendti
11-19-2012, 11:21 PM
Sorry, should have been more clear. I have been gluing and riding tubulars for decades. Just ignorant about sealants.

Thanks for the info on the tubeless Adam.

I understand. My point is that Stan's Sealant works. I install it in my tubeless by removing the Stan's valve core. If your tubbies have removable cores, you could pre-install it in yours.

Good info here:

http://windinmyface.diglloyd.com/gear-tires-StansNoTubes.html

Peter B
11-20-2012, 12:39 AM
The Stans and Tufo sealants are applied as a prophylactic. The Pit Stop is a combo sealant/inflator to be used after you flat. Thorns, small punctures, either should work. Bigger holes, not so well.

oliver1850
11-20-2012, 01:09 AM
I had a can of the Espresso sealant/inflator (similar to Pit Stop) with me when I last flatted and nothing else. It got me about 3/4 of a mile. If I'd had 15 cans I might have made it home on the bike.

firerescuefin
11-20-2012, 02:04 AM
The Stans and Tufo sealants are applied as a prophylactic. The Pit Stop is a combo sealant/inflator to be used after you flat. Thorns, small punctures, either should work. Bigger holes, not so well.

After experiencing a flat on the road...Remove the valve core...add the stans...inflate. Has worked for me numerous times without fail.

Bruce K
11-20-2012, 02:52 AM
FWIW - I just got a Kenda indoor tire for my trainer wheel and the tag had a warning in big, bold letters that sealants void all Kenda tire warranties.

First, I didn't know Kenda tires had warranties. Second, it's an indoor trainer tire, why would I put sealant in it and how would I get a flat to want sealant?

It just seemed weird.

BK

oldpotatoe
11-20-2012, 07:16 AM
So, I just put some new tubies on tonight and was thinking about people's references to Stan's or Vittoria pit stop. Does it work on any tire or do some not have removable stem cores? If I have some flatted tires, can I just squirt and bring them back to life?

Help, I am ignorant.

With Stan's yep, remove valve core, 1/2 bottle, good to go. Ant tube, as long as it has a removable valve core. I use it on my tubies and clincher tubes, works great, haven't had a flat for a long(knock on wood), time.

djg
11-20-2012, 07:19 AM

What he said about pit stop. No need to remove the valve core -- just open the valve, as if to pump up the tire, shove the pit stop on and hold it there, give it a minute and you'll be fine IF you have a small puncture. It's pretty good stuff within its limits, and no help at all if you've got a big hole or a sidewall tear.

There's also the cafe latex stuff, which can be either preventive or therapeutic.

flydhest
11-20-2012, 07:37 AM
Thanks, everyone.

So, do I have this right?

Stan's . . . use it on a new tire, but only if you have a removable valve core.

Pit Stop . . . take it with you on the road to fix a flat. Any valve

Caffelatex . . . use it before or after. Any valve.

I may be gearing up for some experiments.

wooly
11-20-2012, 07:42 AM
Thanks, everyone.

So, do I have this right?

Stan's . . . use it on a new tire, but only if you have a removable valve core.

Pit Stop . . . take it with you on the road to fix a flat. Any valve

Caffelatex . . . use it before or after. Any valve.

I may be gearing up for some experiments.

I use the cafe latex stuff. I believe you need a removable valve core to get the stuff in. At least I did. I use it as a preventative measure and carry a small bottle with me on rides along with a pump. Knock on wood - I've had good luck.

johnniecakes
11-20-2012, 03:56 PM
I thought Stans eroded aluminum rims and that is why Calfee was recommended and Stans was not by Shimano for the road

teleguy57
11-26-2012, 08:53 AM
For those running sealant in tubulars, how do you deal with the off season? I have some wheels that don't get ridden at all during the winter and am concerned about sealant pooling and hardening. Do you drain the tires and add new sealant in the spring?

nooneline
11-26-2012, 08:57 AM
I'd only put sealant in a tubular after a flat, not before.

If I trained on tubulars, I suppose I'd consider putting some in as a prophylactic.

But I flat tubulars infrequently as it is, so it's easy enough just to drip sealant in as an occasional tire-repair necessity.