PDA

View Full Version : This makes me furious

fiamme red
11-19-2012, 09:21 AM
http://www.sj-r.com/top-stories/x871170927/Cyclist-killed-on-highway-loved-to-ride

The crash that killed Everett occurred just east of Hunley Road. Everett was westbound on the shoulder of Illinois 104.

A car driven by Willem D. Cohen, 22, of Pawnee, drifted onto the shoulder and struck Everett’s bicycle, Illinois State Police said.

Cohen was cited for improper lane usage, state police said. No additional charges are expected.Here's (https://maps.google.com/maps?q=hunley+road+%26+route+104&hl=en&ll=39.588294,-89.786543&spn=0.000033,0.013711&hnear=Illinois+104+%26+Hunley+Rd,+Auburn,+Sangamon ,+Illinois+62615&gl=us&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=39.588294,-89.786543&panoid=JbmVi0QWtG-xMWsqQ5PbLQ&cbp=12,114.27,,0,0) the Google Maps Street View of the location. Morning, perfectly straight road, ample shoulder. It's pretty obvious that the driver was texting or was distracted in come other way. :mad:

William
11-19-2012, 09:40 AM
He "drifted onto the shoulder" death resulting, and was cited for "Improper lane change"???? What the frak?

It seems like the prevailing attitude is that if you're on a bike, you go on the road... your rolling the dice and you get what you get.

William

cfox
11-19-2012, 09:52 AM
What happens if you drift out of your lane and hit another car and you kill someone? Or a pedestrian? I ask because I don't know. It seems there are so many of these stories about cyclists getting killed and the drivers walking away without any punishment. Is it just cyclists or does it just seem that way?

Elefantino
11-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Long, straight, rural roads are like crack for texting. I won't ride them alone anymore for that reason.

jimcav
11-19-2012, 10:14 AM
I have to admire the fact that whoever cared about him will likley abide by this inappropriate response of the justice system. Not hard at all to understand, a family member or best friend, going "dexter" on that driver in some fashion.

not sure a system where cutting off a hand for stealing is the answer, but somewhere between that and improper lane use is the answer.

thwart
11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
This appears to be an example of bias against cyclists. Even though he was a retired corrections officer...

If this guy hits and kills a pedestrian, I would bet the charges would be greater than that.

fiamme red
11-19-2012, 10:27 AM
A friend whom I rode with yesterday did a 300km brevet in St. Louis with the deceased a few months ago. The heat was terrible that day, and my friend and Grover Everett were the only two finishers. RIP.

bart998
11-19-2012, 10:38 AM
I have to admire the fact that whoever cared about him will likley abide by this inappropriate response of the justice system. Not hard at all to understand, a family member or best friend, going "dexter" on that driver in some fashion.

not sure a system where cutting off a hand for stealing is the answer, but somewhere between that and improper lane use is the answer.

I know many would disagree, but I'm afraid at times like this there would be no choice but to take action on your own.... This is a complete failure of the justice system.

cmg
11-19-2012, 10:39 AM
send your outrage to the Springfield attorney general/District attorney or to whatever judicial system has jurisdiction. yep, bias against cyclists is the term. what good are safe passing laws if they're are not enforced.

Liv2RideHard
11-19-2012, 10:49 AM
Long, straight, rural roads are like crack for texting. I won't ride them alone anymore for that reason.

Yes to this. However lately, it doesn't matter where these knuckleheads are. Rural or metro. I live near UCF. My commute takes me from East Orlando to NASA/CCAFS everyday. It really amazes me how freakin' STUPID people are. 9 times out of 10 if the car ahead of me is weaving, driving erratically etc...they are on their damn phone texting or surfing whatever it is they are surfing while driving. I have resorted to blasting my horn at them as I pass them. Idiots. Thing about it is...like in this case...cyclist dead...scumbag driver gets off.

Feel for the fella and his family. Sad.

majorpat
11-19-2012, 11:39 AM
So what is considered an "accident" in these situations? Broad daylight, ample shoulder, reasonable traffic do not in themselves add to conditions that produce an accident. Driver inattention (for any number of reasons) could have been what caused this tragedy.

Why don't we hold people accountable for their actions while driving 2 tons of metal?

malcolm
11-19-2012, 11:53 AM
So what is considered an "accident" in these situations? Broad daylight, ample shoulder, reasonable traffic do not in themselves add to conditions that produce an accident. Driver inattention (for any number of reasons) could have been what caused this tragedy.

Why don't we hold people accountable for their actions while driving 2 tons of metal?

Accident is a term that I feel really shouldn't be used, it may not be the definition but it carries a connotation of lack of fault when at least some fault certaily applies. In emergency medicine we stopped referring to motor vehicle collisions as accidents years ago.

Louis
11-19-2012, 11:55 AM

1) Because the cyclist shouldn't have been there in the first place - roads are for cars, not bikes.

2) Because most folks want to be able to talk and text on their phones while driving.

slidey
11-19-2012, 12:27 PM
taking this one step further, how do you all feel about starting an online petition about this? I mean, its now easier than ever...and I sure would like to sign an online petition that meant something to me personally. Any serious thoughts on this?

1centaur
11-19-2012, 12:37 PM
Happy to sign an online petition, but I think the real answer to this national problem is targeting prosecutors who don't prosecute (and police that do not arrest) with publicity that names and shames them with consistent branding so the next guy knows it's coming.

"A cyclist is somebody's child, somebody's father, somebody's husband, somebody's wife. When is it OK to run them over and just say 'Whoops!' ?"

"Somebody died and DA Joe Smith does not care. Tell him what you think of him. Tell his boss. Remember this at the next election. Here are phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Stop shrugging shoulders at bodies on the road. Hold drivers, police and prosecutors accountable."

Basically, we need a MADD-equivalent on this cause, or it will continue to be a problem.

Ti Designs
11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
This thread has pointed out that making better drivers makes everything safer while increased safety standards for cars only works for those in the car.

Mark McM
11-19-2012, 01:10 PM
This thread has pointed out that making better drivers makes everything safer while increased safety standards for cars only works for those in the car.

Despite the increase in mileage driven by automobiles, road fatalities (including cyclists and pedestrians) continues to decrease, decade after decade.

From The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety:

Although the U.S. population has been growing steadily since 1975, the rate of motor vehicle crash deaths per 100,000 population has declined by 48 percent. During the 36 years in which national fatal crash data have been collected, the death rate per 100,000 population for passenger vehicle occupants and the overall crash death rate in 2010 were all time lows.

http://www.iihs.org/Renderers/ShowMedia.ashx?i=MediaArchive:eefa74b6-c816-442b-865e-079b0fb12d31

A total of 616 bicyclists were killed in crashes with motor vehicles in 2010, a two percent decrease from 2009. Bicyclist deaths were down 39 percent since 1975. The decline since 1975 among female bicyclists (55 percent) was larger than the decline among male bicyclists (35 percent). In every year since 1975, many more male than female bicyclists were killed in motor vehicle crashes.

http://www.iihs.org/Renderers/ShowMedia.ashx?i=MediaArchive:7d886288-fd28-4e55-9a4a-13e72c845fe2

A total of 4,280 pedestrian deaths occurred in 2010, down 43 percent from 1975. Since 1975 pedestrian deaths have declined from 17 percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths to 13 percent in 2010. Pedestrian deaths increased by 4 percent from 2009 to 2010, compared to a decline of 4 percent for all other crash deaths.

http://www.iihs.org/Renderers/ShowMedia.ashx?i=MediaArchive:16802f12-7894-4b2f-9a87-0c30152b42ec

The actual chance of death for most road users (including bicyclists) is lower than it ever has been.

The one exception is motorcyclists, whose death rate is increasing:

A total of 4,309 motorcyclists died in crashes in 2010. Motorcyclist deaths had been declining since the early 1980s but began to increase in 1998 and continued to increase through 2008. Motorcyclist deaths decreased by 16 percent in 2009 compared to 2008 and increased slightly in 2010. Motorcycle deaths accounted for 13 percent of all motor vehicle crash deaths in 2010 and were more than double the number of motorcyclist deaths in 1997. In contrast, at 22,263, fewer passenger vehicle occupants died in crashes in 2010 than in any year since the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration began collecting fatal crash data in 1975.

http://www.iihs.org/Renderers/ShowMedia.ashx?i=MediaArchive:a8e4cecf-37bd-432c-995a-99fc9f41ab69

merlinmurph
11-19-2012, 01:22 PM
Whenever something like this happens, I always wonder what would happen to the driver if it was a pedestrian that was hit? Or, how about a mother walking a baby carriage? Do you think there would be a different reaction?

I do.

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2012, 02:04 PM
Whenever something like this happens, I always wonder what would happen to the driver if it was a pedestrian that was hit? Or, how about a mother walking a baby carriage? Do you think there would be a different reaction?

I do.

. . . I have to agree with you.

But to try to keep it in perspective, when the DA's decide what to prosecute, they also have to keep in mind who they might end up with as jurors and what they feel they can get a conviction on. It's not going to be hard to find average Joe Juror who will convict if victim is a lady pushing a baby carriage. It might be a lot harder to get compliant jurors if it's a cyclist riding where a substantial minority think "those damn cyclers shouldn't be riding anyway."

BBD

gone
11-19-2012, 02:46 PM
I've thought about this a lot since Grover's death. Grover logged miles on the same web site I do and I've enjoyed reading his posts for years so I felt I "knew" him, at least as well or better than I know some of the people here.

The sister of a friend that lives in central Illinois knows the kid that hit Grover. By all accounts he's a good kid. It was likely he was on his way to class at a local college when he hit Grover. I imagine he's quite devastated by it all.

But having said that, Grover left behind a wife of 44 years and a family who are also having to cope with his loss.

As a cyclist it's natural for me to want "the chair" for anyone who hits a fellow cyclist. I've given a lot of thought to this prior to Grover's death and certainly after it - what would I want if my own wife of nearly 40 years who is also a cyclist didn't come home from a ride because someone "improperly used the lane"? Certainly more than a moving violation.

It seems to me that a more serious charge resulting in a court hearing is definitely warranted. At that hearing, the judge can take into account the persons age, remorse, etc., and mete out an appropriate punishment.

Were I judge, jury and executioner I don't know that I'd want to extract the last pound of flesh or destroy the life of a 22 year old who made a stupid mistake but certainly a prolonged stint of community service seems warranted.

The system failed, badly, in this case.

God speed Grover.

BumbleBeeDave
11-19-2012, 02:50 PM
A whole lot depends on all the contextual information that we almost never get in the local news story.

BBD

Don49
11-19-2012, 03:10 PM
This maybe a situation where only a wrongful death civil lawsuit could begin to bring justice.

Hawker
11-19-2012, 03:41 PM
taking this one step further, how do you all feel about starting an online petition about this? I mean, its now easier than ever...and I sure would like to sign an online petition that meant something to me personally. Any serious thoughts on this?

Would be happy to sign one. Not in the interest in ruining someone's life...but an "accident" is one thing and this appears to be much more like "negligence" and someone died for goodness sake. How about 30 days in jail and community service for 12 months....or something.

malcolm
11-19-2012, 04:11 PM
I've thought about this a lot since Grover's death. Grover logged miles on the same web site I do and I've enjoyed reading his posts for years so I felt I "knew" him, at least as well or better than I know some of the people here.

The sister of a friend that lives in central Illinois knows the kid that hit Grover. By all accounts he's a good kid. It was likely he was on his way to class at a local college when he hit Grover. I imagine he's quite devastated by it all.

But having said that, Grover left behind a wife of 44 years and a family who are also having to cope with his loss.

As a cyclist it's natural for me to want "the chair" for anyone who hits a fellow cyclist. I've given a lot of thought to this prior to Grover's death and certainly after it - what would I want if my own wife of nearly 40 years who is also a cyclist didn't come home from a ride because someone "improperly used the lane"? Certainly more than a moving violation.

It seems to me that a more serious charge resulting in a court hearing is definitely warranted. At that hearing, the judge can take into account the persons age, remorse, etc., and mete out an appropriate punishment.

Were I judge, jury and executioner I don't know that I'd want to extract the last pound of flesh or destroy the life of a 22 year old who made a stupid mistake but certainly a prolonged stint of community service seems warranted.

The system failed, badly, in this case.

God speed Grover.

How often have we been similarly distracted? I do not text and drive, but I am guilty of driving while sleepy and wandering off onto the shoulder a time or two fortunately for me no bicyclists were there.

Fact is in most of these scenarios we have all done similar and just didn't have a bad outcome. If you want to effect change you have to effect behavior and one way, who knows maybe not the right way is a stiff punishment. If that is the choice the occasionally good people will have done something stupid and need to pay the price. You can base a law or punishment on a study of one it has to be based on the larger society. I feel if you are negeligent and kill someone with your car it shouldn't matter if they are walking or on a bike the punishment should be the same. I do think a kid on his way to school is different than a repeat offender.

gone
11-19-2012, 05:02 PM
I feel if you are negeligent and kill someone with your car it shouldn't matter if they are walking or on a bike the punishment should be the same. I do think a kid on his way to school is different than a repeat offender.

We're in agreement, I think. What upsets me the most about this is that there is essentially no venue (a trial, a hearing, etc) where mitigating circumstances such as the persons driving history, remorse and other factors can be considered because the driver wasn't even charged.

I also think that stiff penalties, hell, make it some penalties might at least get people to think a little about potential consequences to them of their behavior. If all you get is a hand slap, why not go ahead and text and drive. If you kill someone, especially if it's a "freebie" like a cyclist who deserves it anyway for being on the road, no big deal.

It does seem the only recourse a family has when the system lets them down like this is a civil suit but it seems to me that only prolongs their agony in exchange for the opportunity to punish. I don't know that I personally would want to continue to relive a loved ones death while a civil suit were pursued.

As I said, the system failed.

slidey
11-19-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm past the point of anger...these are just unnecessary deaths, which are caused by careless human behaviour which can be easily curbed with no ill-feeling (unlike the present middle-east hell). I believe creating an online petition will at least create awareness of this issue, which might lead to something more concrete. I think this issue is similar to getting poisoned water at random in one's supply, or as some have called it a side-effect of fracking.

Would be happy to sign one. Not in the interest in ruining someone's life...but an "accident" is one thing and this appears to be much more like "negligence" and someone died for goodness sake. How about 30 days in jail and community service for 12 months....or something.

As for the statistics, I tend to think of them as a brothel - you'll always find one to go along with anything you might dream of.

Honey
11-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I vote BADD. Bicyclists against distracted driving. It isn't great but I think piggybacking off madd as much as possible is a plus. I also think setting up a network is a quality idea and this forum could be a great starter for it. I'll ruminate on it and post something over the weekend if no one beats me to it to start getting a bit organized. I'm thinking something along the lines of a few people in each city.

Happy to sign an online petition, but I think the real answer to this national problem is targeting prosecutors who don't prosecute (and police that do not arrest) with publicity that names and shames them with consistent branding so the next guy knows it's coming.

"A cyclist is somebody's child, somebody's father, somebody's husband, somebody's wife. When is it OK to run them over and just say 'Whoops!' ?"

"Somebody died and DA Joe Smith does not care. Tell him what you think of him. Tell his boss. Remember this at the next election. Here are phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Stop shrugging shoulders at bodies on the road. Hold drivers, police and prosecutors accountable."

Basically, we need a MADD-equivalent on this cause, or it will continue to be a problem.

oldpotatoe
11-20-2012, 08:10 AM
I vote BADD. Bicyclists against distracted driving. It isn't great but I think piggybacking off madd as much as possible is a plus. I also think setting up a network is a quality idea and this forum could be a great starter for it. I'll ruminate on it and post something over the weekend if no one beats me to it to start getting a bit organized. I'm thinking something along the lines of a few people in each city.

As a guy who got hit from behind in 2002, by a lady that fell asleep at 10:30 on a Saturday morning, I am outraged as well BUT

How many members of MADD 'occasionally' drink and drive. I'll bet zero.

How many members of BADD 'occasionally' run red lights when riding?

The conversation has to include cyclists doing the right thing when riding as well. Meaning, following the law as much as car drivers 'should'.

There is more than a little conflict between car drivers and cyclists here in the 'republic' but sometimes we shoot ourselves in the foot, when it comes to seemingly intentionally doing things that piss drivers off.

Andrewlcox
11-20-2012, 08:37 AM
This hits me really close to home, literally. I grew up in Taylorville. My Uncle Jim lived in Jacksonville and would come visit us in Taylorville via bicycle on this same stretch of Rt. 104. I always wanted to try it because it seemed so far and impossible. Grover Everett made it look easy.

William
11-20-2012, 08:50 AM
I'm not saying burn the kid. But a ticket for an illegal lane change? That isn't much different than a parking ticket. Sure, he may get a point or two on his insurance......What the eff is that???:rolleyes: That doesn't even acknowledge that a life was taken.

William

BumbleBeeDave
11-20-2012, 08:59 AM
. . . of whether he's a good kid at heart, the mentioned charges and whatever meagre punishment results are not appropriate for a life having been taken, even unintentionally.

It's unfortunate that rarely, if ever, do we get the total nuanced story of any of these incidents. We also don't get a broad view of any kind of objective comparison of relative charges and outcomes from car-car, car-ped, or car-bike collisions. Is there truly a disparity? We get the incomplete story and it's almost impossible to tell for sure. I'm sure there are many, many car-car and car-ped collisions where the charges and sentences are also ridiculously inadequate, but we see it all only through the lens of this forum.

I'm not be ANY means trying to minimize this incident. I just try to keep in mind whenever I read these that I don't get the whole story.

BBD

bikinchris
11-20-2012, 09:42 AM
Accident is a term that I feel really shouldn't be used, it may not be the definition but it carries a connotation of lack of fault when at least some fault certaily applies. In emergency medicine we stopped referring to motor vehicle collisions as accidents years ago.

+1
I quit calling them 'accidents' before I became a League Cycling Instructor. I call them crashes. When any two road users touch, SOMEONE has broken a traffic law. It is almost never a pure accident.

I like the BADD idea. I have had to wuit doing group rides because I follow traffic law.

Driver training in this country needs to begin with a cycling course in 4th or 5th grade. Better drivers with fewer bad habits is the answer.