PDA

View Full Version : Sourcing Serotta S-bend Ti chainstays?

sashae
11-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Does anyone know of a source where I might be able to source a pair of Serotta S-bend Ti chainstays? I'm working on a new build and would love to source the chainstays as part of it if possible...

bicycletricycle
11-19-2012, 09:28 AM
i bet they make them in house, seven makes their s bend stays in house, i have seen them do it.

David Kirk
11-19-2012, 09:29 AM
Serotta has them made for them. back in the day we used to take straight stays and bend them in-house but I think they are now supplied to Serotta bent. Serotta owns the tools used to make them so they are the only ones that get the final product.

I think it's time to learn the black-art of tube bending.

dave

palincss
11-19-2012, 09:33 AM
Other than aesthetics, is there any genuine benefit to those bent stays? If so, what might it be?

David Kirk
11-19-2012, 09:46 AM
Other than aesthetics, is there any genuine benefit to those bent stays? If so, what might it be?

Chainring and cassette/chain clearance.

Dave

sashae
11-19-2012, 09:57 AM
David do you have any idea if Serotta is willing to sell the stays alone? The clearance reasons are exactly why I'm looking for a pair (29er build.)

I suppose the other solution would be to do something Lynskey/Titus-like with the flattened piece near the bottom bracket for chainring clearance:

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/r/fr-pro29vf-m-1.jpg

David Kirk
11-19-2012, 10:17 AM
David do you have any idea if Serotta is willing to sell the stays alone? The clearance reasons are exactly why I'm looking for a pair (29er build.)

I suppose the other solution would be to do something Lynskey/Titus-like with the flattened piece near the bottom bracket for chainring clearance:

http://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/f/r/fr-pro29vf-m-1.jpg

I don't think they would work out as you'd like.

In their 'normal' orientation they of course provide little tire room. If you flipped them you'll get more tire room but at the expense of cassette room.

Serotta will not sell them - or least they never have in the past. You need to make a bender I think.

Dave

rustylion
11-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Hey, bill here from Serotta.

We do outsource the raw material (we don't own a titanium mine....yet - just kidding) but once the titanium is here, then, in-house we swage, bend and finish our S-bend Ti chainstays.

I have asked Patrick if it could be something we could sell seperately. Based on his current shop load (launching new SG Pronto/Fondo bikes), it is not something he could offer at this time.

Sorry the news was not more positive but I at least wanted you to know what we could/could not do at this time.

ride hard, be well, have fun.
bill
518-584-8100x313
bill.watkins@serotta.com
www.rustylion.com
Does anyone know of a source where I might be able to source a pair of Serotta S-bend Ti chainstays? I'm working on a new build and would love to source the chainstays as part of it if possible...

ctcyclistbob
11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Chainring and cassette/chain clearance.

Dave

Dave,

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you're a proponent of strong/stiff chainstays for improved power transfer. Is there a difference in strength/stiffness between S-bend and straight chainstays, and therefore an advantage either way (or is it too small to even be a factor)?

I do think they're cool looking in addition to the chainring and cassette/chain clearance advantage you stated.