PDA

View Full Version : Full Moon

jimh
10-19-2005, 09:08 AM
:crap: I need help!! How many of you notice changes in co-workers, friends, family, Patients etc. a few days prior to and after a full moon? Here in the East a full moon is approaching. My patients, family and friends are all acting strange. My last patient came in complaining of something in her eye for the past week. After spending 20 minutes looking, I found NOTHING. Once I told her this, she said "oh, it feels fine today" :crap: This is just one simple example of how everyone around me the last several days is behaving.

Do any of you experience this? If so any suggestions to help me with my sanity during these times? :beer: I already tried drinking. It didn't work so I stopped.

PanTerra
10-19-2005, 09:13 AM
:crap: I need help!! How many of you notice changes in co-workers, friends, family, Patients etc. a few days prior to and after a full moon? Here in the East a full moon is approaching. My patients, family and friends are all acting strange. My last patient came in complaining of something in her eye for the past week. After spending 20 minutes looking, I found NOTHING. Once I told her this, she said "oh, it feels fine today" :crap: This is just one simple example of how everyone around me the last several days is behaving.

Do any of you experience this? If so any suggestions to help me with my sanity during these times? :beer: I already tried drinking. It didn't work so I stopped.

Last night after the ride, we went to our usual pizza place. We normally get a pitcher of Shiner Bock. This time someone also got a pitcher of Guinness. It is a good substitute for Rock & Roll Chain Cleaner and Lube. :D

jimh
10-19-2005, 09:30 AM
So you are suggesting that I am not drinking the correct beer, and need to try something different. Hmmm, I think your onto something. I have always like Labatt blue, Stout seems good. Any other suggestions?

PanTerra
10-19-2005, 09:37 AM
So you are suggesting that I am not drinking the correct beer, and need to try something different. Hmmm, I think your onto something. I have always like Labatt blue, Stout seems good. Any other suggestions?

If you ever get over to Montana, Glacier Nat'l Park area, Trout Slayer was pretty good, similar to Fat Tire Ale. Also, since you like Stout, try the Moose Drool.

http://www.beerpal.com/Bayern-Trout-Slayer-Ale-Beer/15786/
http://www.beerpal.com/Big-Sky-Moose-Drool-Ale-Beer/1633/

Kevan
10-19-2005, 09:55 AM
the next full moon after the Harvest Moon; deer be worried. After nearly two weeks of cloudy and rainy skies here it's good to see the moon glow. Giving the pugs their evening walk has been a pleasure these past couple evenings and there hanging low in the sky, as the moon climbs the sky, is Mars keeping company. Anyway, the ol' man never looked better.

jimh
10-19-2005, 10:03 AM
Kevan:
I agree last night when my son and I were on our way home from Ice Hockey practice, The moon was just hanging there beautifully in the sky. You could see all the definition. Amazing!!

ti_boi
10-19-2005, 10:11 AM

Well, I like a brand out of Vermont called Magic Hat, it is a lager....Number 9 is the name...like the Beatles Song.

German beer is also nice but for the life of my I cannot remember the favorite brand. It has the blue and white checks on the tap and the label.... :rolleyes:

JohnS
10-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Well, I like a brand out of Vermont called Magic Hat, it is a lager....Number 9 is the name...like the Beatles Song.

German beer is also nice but for the life of my I cannot remember the favorite brand. It has the blue and white checks on the tap and the label.... :rolleyes:
Hofbrau?

ti_boi
10-19-2005, 10:25 AM
No, I honestly have a 'mental block' whenever I try to remember this name.

If I saw it I would remember. I think it begins with an 'S'.... :confused:

PanTerra
10-19-2005, 10:35 AM
St. Pauli Girl?

Sandy
10-19-2005, 10:40 AM

SANDY'S SIMPLY SUPERIOR SATISFYING SUDS??

Sandy :banana:

sspielman
10-19-2005, 10:50 AM

There is no mistake about it, alot of people are made nutty by the full moon. We have certain clients that I can expect to see come into the office within a couple of days of the full moon. The secretary laughs about it, but I make sure that I predict their appearance before they show. I also have certain coworkers that I avoid during the same period because of their nuttiness. I have also observed that the effect seems to be more powerful on some full moons than others. Do we have a staff psychologist on the Forum to weigh in on this?

JohnS
10-19-2005, 11:09 AM

Spaaten?

Ken Lehner
10-19-2005, 11:12 AM

First of all the moon was full on 10/17 (two days ago), not approaching. Second, the full moon occurs at the same time all over the world: it's not different in the East of the US. Third, there is no correlation:

"Despite these many assertions, scientists who have investigated the matter have come up empty-handed. University of Sydney researchers found no link to the moon's cycle in two separate studies, one of violent or aggressive behavior, the other of dog bites that required human hospitalization.

And in an analysis that ought to put to rest any lingering doubts, Ivan Kelly, a psychologist at the University of Saskatchewan, found in a review of over 100 studies of lunar cycles and behavior -- including emergency room admissions and suicide attempts -- nothing to suggest that humans are affected by Earth's satellite.

So why do 81 percent of mental health professionals, according to a University of New Orleans study, believe that lunar cycles affect human behavior? Part of the reason is historical: The illuminated moon played a more prominent role for our ancestors as both a calendar and a night-light. Before electric lighting became ubiquitous, a bright moon was more likely to disrupt sleep, producing widespread grouchiness.

Kelly also cites what psychologists call confirmation bias, selective thinking whereby we seek out information that confirms our beliefs and ignore evidence that challenges them. Says Kelly, "Some beliefs are just exciting to hold, whatever the evidence."

saab2000
10-19-2005, 11:46 AM
Schlitz

Kevan
10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
"Despite these many assertions, scientists who have investigated the matter have come up empty-handed. University of Sydney researchers found no link to the moon's cycle in two separate studies, one of violent or aggressive behavior"

I think the aggressive aspects of a full moon on human nature are directly related to improved nighttime visability, hence easier to sneak about and getting into trouble, and alcohol consumption being typically an evening pastime that lubricates and relaxes aggressive inhibitions.

jimh
10-19-2005, 11:59 AM
Ken:

Sorry I was not accurate. I am not an Astronomer. I have just been observing patients and friends behavior. Thanks for the corrections and info.

PanTerra
10-19-2005, 12:00 PM
Schlitz
It sure sounds German. i am not sure that it was as good as the brew from England - Falstaff.

jimh
10-19-2005, 12:03 PM
John S

Spaaten is good. Also Licher Pils

shoe
10-19-2005, 12:17 PM
i agree that the full moon is affecting things ....even if it has passed....the reason i say this is a possessed sqirrel ran out in front of our bikes today....and no ordinary squirrel...when looking down at this wild beast it really looked quite distrurbed....so there it must be the full moon or its after affects...here is my theory on the moon and its affects. growing up near the water the full moon always affects the tides thus the human body being made up of so much water it affects the pressure of the bodies water...thus the full moon weirdness...i'll admit i can't scientifically prove it but that is my story and i'm sticking to it...dave

ClutchCargo
10-19-2005, 12:23 PM

terrific stuff ! I'm not too fond of #9, but their Humble Patience -- an Irish red -- is great. They crafted a nice stout too (called "Heart of Darkness"), but I think it is discontinued. Try Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout. It is the real deal.

ride on! (but not after drinking) 8->

spiderlake
10-19-2005, 12:25 PM
Mmmmmm, Shiner Bock........ If only we could get it in Michigan at retail locations. I have a friend who is a pilot and two or three times a year I can convince him to pick up a couple of cases when he flys through Dallas. If I can't get Shiner than I usually opt for a Guinness or Founders Ale Breakfast Stout.......

Last night after the ride, we went to our usual pizza place. We normally get a pitcher of Shiner Bock. This time someone also got a pitcher of Guinness. It is a good substitute for Rock & Roll Chain Cleaner and Lube. :D

Kevan
10-19-2005, 12:35 PM
together:

http://www.cbc.ca/story/business/national/2005/05/05/molson-050505.html

Andreu
10-19-2005, 03:00 PM
There is anecdotal evidence that there are more births during a full moon.
Not sure if it is true or not.
Does the moon appear upside down to those in Australia?
A

csm
10-19-2005, 05:56 PM
I once knew a guy who tracked his wife's moods by the phases of the moon. and he was dead on. she was crazy.