PDA

View Full Version : Getting SRAM stuff repaired/replaced under warranty?

schwa86
11-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Out for a metric this AM in the middle of nowhere and my right Force shifter paddle snapped off -- it actually was an internal part to the shifter (basically the part the paddle is attached to). Cycled the remaining 45 miles basically with a single speed (more accurately a duo-speed -- I've never used the FD so much in my life).

These don't have a huge amount of use (maybe 2500-3500 miles over 2 or 3 seasons). SRAM does not seem to sell the part that broke as a replacement part. SRAM site suggests warranty coverage for 2 years -- I doubt I have any record of the purchase (from Lickton's Bikes) though.

Thoughts? (Don't ride SRAM is not that useful under the circumstances, though if I have to buy replacement may go back to DA/Ultegra).

thegunner
11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
as long as a shop puts in the request, i've found SRAM to be incredibly good at replacing this stuff (especially the broken shift paddle -- that was a known issue pre-2011 stuff).

just see if you can get a shop to advocate on your behalf would be my suggestion...

camchris1
11-18-2012, 07:23 PM
I feel like this has become a real problem with Force. I'm aware of quite a few of these braking. Good to know that SRAM is good at getting repair/replacement parts to folks. I hope they get this fixed soon.

thegunner
11-18-2012, 07:24 PM
I feel like this has become a real problem with Force. I'm aware of quite a few of these braking. Good to know that SRAM is good at getting repair/replacement parts to folks. I hope they get this fixed soon.

did this happen on the silver paddle version or the one with the graphics? i had this happen on the previous gen

schwa86
11-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Mine happened on graphics version -- the semi-circle at the right is supposed to go around a pin -- one of the tabs (there are two parallel pieces of metal semi-circles, each with two tabs) has broken off. See attached photos -- the first shows how it should look, the second shows the broken tab (hopefully). Seems kinda cheesy...

merlincustom1
11-18-2012, 10:34 PM
I've heard around this grapevine that Sram is good with warranty replacement. They'd better be, since the stuff breaks alot. Cheap to make, so cheap to replace is the business model I guess. Just throw a 1 or 2 year old part in a landfill since no replacement parts are available. Unlike with Campy, where I put a g spring in a shifter body for a few bucks when it failed after 11 years.

oldpotatoe
11-19-2012, 07:25 AM
Out for a metric this AM in the middle of nowhere and my right Force shifter paddle snapped off -- it actually was an internal part to the shifter (basically the part the paddle is attached to). Cycled the remaining 45 miles basically with a single speed (more accurately a duo-speed -- I've never used the FD so much in my life).

These don't have a huge amount of use (maybe 2500-3500 miles over 2 or 3 seasons). SRAM does not seem to sell the part that broke as a replacement part. SRAM site suggests warranty coverage for 2 years -- I doubt I have any record of the purchase (from Lickton's Bikes) though.

Thoughts? (Don't ride SRAM is not that useful under the circumstances, though if I have to buy replacement may go back to DA/Ultegra).

Take it to a bike shop that deals with sram, has an account, and have it warrantied. sram will warranty anything for any reason at any time. If you don't have a bike shop to do this, send it to me and I'll send it in. They send a new one, often 2, if the graphics changed, with an addressed bag for the busted one, so they can putitinthetrash.

Cheaper to warranty than make more robust, I guess. What's amazing to me is that they could have replacement parts but the 'big boy' at sram said they were concerned about counterfeit levers coming out..rival guts with red levers or some such nonsense. I think it's just to save $. They DO throw the busted ones away, according to the person on the phone.

weaponsgrade
11-19-2012, 10:19 AM
OP, very nice of you to offer help.

schwa86
11-19-2012, 02:03 PM
OP -- thanks for the offer. I took it in to the REI (which is in my building) and they said they'd do it. They also said its the second one with this precise break they have seen this month -- YEESH!

As an aside -- I think this is just my Pegoretti letting me know it really needs Campy components...

nightfend
11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
SRAM is great to deal with, BUT you have to use a local bike shop for the warranty. If you try and do it yourself, you will get terrible customer service from SRAM. They are definitely a huge local bike shop supporter.

schwa86
12-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Per OP's advice, the shop sent in my broken shifter and back came a complete set of Red (originals were force). They appear to be old model (maybe 2010). Installed yesterday and ready to go.

Peter P.
12-09-2012, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the update. It's always good to hear about the outcomes in these situations.

By the way, how long was the turnaround?

schwa86
12-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Sorry -- missed this. Took about 10 days all told but that is because it went from REI (in building where I work) to original dealer and back to REI. Separate moral of story is both REI and Lickton's Bikes (where I purchased original Force group) in Chicago were very helpful in all this.