PDA

View Full Version : losing keys mtn. biking

jvp
11-18-2012, 05:31 PM
2nd time for me - first time both cell phone and keys dropped out of my unsecured saddlebag. Found the keys right away but had to return the next day with a friends phone redialing my # to find the phone. Then again yesterday afternoon, just the keys this time. Found them at dusk after re-riding 3/4rths of the trails. Funny the scenarios that play out in your head...."ride home, break into my house, find/retrieve spare car key, ride back"...

AngryScientist
11-18-2012, 05:34 PM
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/BLD/BLD1189/PLA.jpg

jvp
11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
well I have plenty of those!

gemship
11-18-2012, 05:41 PM
http://www.backcountry.com/images/items/large/BLD/BLD1189/PLA.jpg

I see those and bungees on the road all the time, kinda makes you wonder how well they really work, just say'in.

My best advise is a saddle back the bigger the better and learn to be more careful fitting your keys and phone in there and making sure it's zipped and strapped to the bike proper, getting a little neurotic about your stuff goes a long ways to avoiding this scenario.

btl68
11-18-2012, 05:45 PM
I use a Camelbak and have my keys secured to a clip inside one of the pockets.

That doesn't keep me from being paranoid, though...

gemship
11-18-2012, 05:47 PM

I met that in a figuratively speaking way of course. It's like the old saying measure twice, cut once. Kabeesh?:rolleyes:

and then there's the other wise guy saying that goes like this...you know what they say about ASSUME, it makes a ass out of you and me.

fourflys
11-18-2012, 05:48 PM

that's what I do as well... if you don't use a backpack, how about a "hide-a-key" that you leave at the car? doesn't heap the cell phone as much, but at least you'd be able to get home...

DRietz
11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
This has always been a fear of mine. Yet, in 5years of cross country racing and training it has yet to happen. Knock on wood.

I don't drive to the trailhead unless it's a race, and typically then I leave my car keys in the wheel well so they're out of sight. A lot of my buddies that do drive to the trailhead do the same.

Liv2RideHard
11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
Just ditch the posterior man satchel. Carry only what you need in your jersey pockets. Get efficient tools...lezyne tools are minimal and work. Never lost anything out of jerseys and have raced the mtb this way for years. Also you could just carry a valet key so you dont take the chance and lose your key fob and chipped key. Just a thought.

henry14
11-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Maybe in a 2nd empty water bottle.

maunahaole
11-18-2012, 06:36 PM
I see a lot of these (or silmilar) hooked on to cars here. Most likely for going surfing, where you really cant take your keys into the water. Take 20 minutes or so and figure out where to attach. Lock your other keys into the car. Lock your car access key or fob into the lock box.

http://www.masterlock.com/product_details/StorageSecurity/5400D

monkeybanana86
11-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Maybe in a 2nd empty water bottle.

this is my favorite way of storing stuff!

christian
11-18-2012, 06:43 PM
For those who don't want to cut-and-fit two bottles to make a spare tube/keys/phone container, I can recommend a Jif jar. Fits as if made for the purpose.

btl68
11-18-2012, 06:47 PM
I met that in a figuratively speaking way of course. It's like the old saying measure twice, cut once. Kabeesh?:rolleyes:

and then there's the other wise guy saying that goes like this...you know what they say about ASSUME, it makes a ass out of you and me.:confused:

I didn't quote you, so I wasn't responding to your post or basing what I posted on anything you had to say.

I just made a genreal response as to what I use to keep my keys with me.

Ken Robb
11-18-2012, 07:20 PM
that's what I do as well... if you don't use a backpack, how about a "hide-a-key" that you leave at the car? doesn't heap the cell phone as much, but at least you'd be able to get home...

The thieves who watch people "Hide" their keys at parking areas at the beach and trail heads LOVE hide-a-keys almost as much as the folks who put them on top of their tire under a fender. :)

AngryScientist
11-18-2012, 07:25 PM
I've never been much of a ford fan, but wow- what a useful feature to have a combination lock on the door for the car. Wonder why this isnt used more, especially in adventure marketed cars like the xterra, element, fj cruiser, etc...

mgm777
11-18-2012, 07:34 PM
The thieves who watch people "Hide" their keys at parking areas at the beach and trail heads LOVE hide-a-keys almost as much as the folks who put them on top of their tire under a fender. :)

This is true. A couple of weeks ago, I put my my key fob in the wheel well of my vehicle in the parkling lot of my favorite Trail Run. When I returned the fob was gone. Thankfully, my vehicle was still there and all the interior contents still intact. Won't do that again.

gemship
11-18-2012, 07:47 PM
:confused:

I didn't quote you, so I wasn't responding to your post or basing what I posted on anything you had to say.

I just made a genreal response as to what I use to keep my keys with me.
Sorry if I come across as wise but...
Correct quote you did not but I did because a.) it was the timing of your post and b.) the association of what you stated about not being paranoid to what I stated as being purposely neurotic in a effect to not miss the details... if that makes sense. No hard feelings OK. At least the OP admits he didn't properly secure the saddle bag. Hey I just use a Novara saddle bag that is made really well and seems to fit keys, cellphone, a tire patch kit with levers, co2 and a spare tube, suits me fine and I have left it unzippered but fortunately never lost anything. I really think being more careful is the best advice although I like the idea of a second water bottle but then you have stuff bouncing around in it. No real magic bullet answer for this.

btl68
11-18-2012, 08:06 PM
I'll bet that water bottle trick would be nice with a little camera case foam in there to keep the keys/phone from rattling. Shouldn't weigh too much.

gemship
11-18-2012, 08:07 PM
I like that idea I'd try it out. :)

pdmtong
11-18-2012, 10:47 PM
get a jersey with a zippered pocket else use a camelbak

monkeybanana86
11-18-2012, 10:53 PM
I'll bet that water bottle trick would be nice with a little camera case foam in there to keep the keys/phone from rattling. Shouldn't weigh too much.

my inner tube keeps everything from moving in the bottle. you guys could always stuff a sock in there.

Don49
11-18-2012, 11:05 PM
An alternative to the water bottle is a tennis ball container, fits perfectly in the cage, straight sides, lightweight, plastic top. I pick them up out of the trash at my gym when I need one.

Also, I lock my keys and fob into the car, carrying only a door key on the ride. The door key is just a flat metal copy that won't work the ignition (not being a smart key) but just opens the car door and is compact to carry.

Under the car seat I use one of these Gun Vaults for wallet, house keys, cell phone, etc. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00384755S/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

Louis
11-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Do folks no longer use saddlebags? I use relatively small ones, and put my spare tube, tire levers, insta-patches, and if necessary, car key, in there.

tiretrax
11-18-2012, 11:23 PM
Just ditch the posterior man satchel. Carry only what you need in your jersey pockets.

I lost my license, credit card, insurance card and $20 recently. The license showed up in the mail. I guess the $20 was kept as a reward. As far as I know, no one has tried to use the card or checked into a hospital as me, yet. I cancelled the cc - cost me $10.

$30 lesson - from now on, only buy jerseys with a zippered pocket! Well, I already broke that by buying a Red Hook Post-Hurricane Sandy fundraising jersey last week.

monkeybanana86
11-18-2012, 11:25 PM
Do folks no longer use saddlebags? I use relatively small ones, and put my spare tube, tire levers, insta-patches, and if necessary, car key, in there.

I use both. I'm in the market for a larger saddle bag so that i don't have to use three bottles on hot/long days. currently doing research :)

fogrider
11-19-2012, 12:25 AM
I don't use saddlebags! jersey is fine for keys, wallet, phone, and food bar. I use tubulars and stuff a multi tool into a spare. for long rides I slap on a top tube bag. I can see the bag and even access it while riding.

eippo1
11-19-2012, 12:32 AM
I often put a key in my Soul Run jersey wallet w my phone. Stays pretty secure in my pocket, but most of the time I carry a hydro pack on trails. And so throw it in there

bambam
11-19-2012, 10:14 AM
You could get one of those passport carriers/event pass lanyards that hang aroung you neck. you could add the use of a baggie if you need to keep things dry.

Just a suggestion.

jvp
11-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I think I'm going to stick w/ the small saddlebag, but provide a provision to clip the keys in the interior w/ a mini-biner.

redir
11-19-2012, 10:43 AM
Just ditch the posterior man satchel. Carry only what you need in your jersey pockets. Get efficient tools...lezyne tools are minimal and work. Never lost anything out of jerseys and have raced the mtb this way for years. Also you could just carry a valet key so you dont take the chance and lose your key fob and chipped key. Just a thought.

Me too I just throw the key in my right jersey pocket and never had a problem even after crashing.