PDA

View Full Version : Is thee a Clean Chain Lube?

TT Tandem
11-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I there such a thing as a clean chain lube? I have been using ProLink chain lube and have been satisfied with it. But I was wondering if there is a lube that is a bit drier and does not go black?
I am really a nut when it comes to keeping my chains ,on all the bikes , clean and would like to get some advice.
Thanks!

phcollard
11-18-2012, 04:04 PM
Finish Line Dry is OK. I've tried the Wet version and it's totally awfull, the chain turns blacks and looks full of goo after just one ride!

toaster
11-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Black is the color of all the dust and road micro-bits that stick to the oily surface of your chain.

You can't avoid it but you can minimize it by having the cleanest chain with the least amount of lubricant inside the rolling parts of the chain and little to no oil on the outside of the chain.

Chains moving on the bicycle are said to almost magnetically attract dust so unless you contain it inside a cover getting black oiliness will certainly be a fact of life.

Clean chain at least every couple hundred miles in the best of conditions.

Ken Robb
11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
Lubes that dry to a waxy state have less grit stick to them but some people think "wet" products lubricate better.

As usual there is no one answer to the "best" chain lube.

cfox
11-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Trying to keep a bike chain surgically clean is a fools errand, assuming you actually ride. The second you leave you garage, dust and dirt are sticking to your chain. Pro gold is amongst the cleanest stuff that actually lubricates your chain. I used to use it but switched to Chain-L; it's a little more work but keeps the chain whisper quiet forever. And it's pretty clean if you apply it right.

Don49
11-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Years ago I used to lube new mtb chains with paraffin, like this:http://www.instructables.com/id/Lubricating-a-Bicycle-Chain-using-Paraffin/ The key to lubing with paraffin was getting the chain hot enough for the paraffin to flow into the chain without solidifying.

I do remember the chains appearing to stay clean but not sure how well it actually lubed.

monkeybanana86
11-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I agree with toaster. to keep it black free you must clean it more often no way around that. I used T9 but i'd get too many dry squeaky chains mid long rides and after stretching a chain in only some months i don't think it's worth it. Now i'm going back to wet lube

Cat3roadracer
11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
I swear by White Lightning, in the blue bottle. Start with a clean drivetrain, give it a shot.

monkeybanana86
11-18-2012, 04:34 PM
Trying to keep a bike chain surgically clean is a fools errand, assuming you actually ride. The second you leave you garage, dust and dirt are sticking to your chain. Pro gold is amongst the cleanest stuff that actually lubricates your chain. I used to use it but switched to Chain-L; it's a little more work but keeps the chain whisper quiet forever. And it's pretty clean if you apply it right.

I too switched to chain l. now i just let my drivetrain get a little black before I clean it. it's more work and the bike ain't as pretty but no more squeak

biker72
11-18-2012, 04:37 PM
I there such a thing as a clean chain lube? I have been using ProLink chain lube and have been satisfied with it. But I was wondering if there is a lube that is a bit drier and does not go black?
I am really a nut when it comes to keeping my chains ,on all the bikes , clean and would like to get some advice.
Thanks!

Ask 5 bike mechanics this question and you'll get 4 different answers.

toaster
11-18-2012, 05:49 PM
The main thing you want to avoid is what an old riding buddy would do and he went through chains, cassettes and chainrings faster than anybody I've ever seen.

His procedure was simply oiling a chain, any chain, and leaving it fairly wet. (His background was motocross bikes). Then, he would oil it again maybe every other ride. He never really wiped it completely dry, nor did he have a method of flushing it either. After many, many rides it looked like grease was applied. He created an awesome grinding compound that probably would have polished diamonds. Also, didn't matter what lube du jour he used they all were used in the same manner.

A chain that can be cleaned by mechanical brushing and washing, or soaking in a solvent/cleaner and re-lubed to the dry, clean metal of the chain and then wiped so the outside surface is non-oily is best. Regular intervals according to your taste will be the best you can do.

Chain lubes and brands get people talking about best or better, but it's all in the maintenance that matters.

Seramount
11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Chain-L fan here...

lube by putting the smallest possible drop on each link. then rotate cranks thru about 15-20 revolutions. let sit overnite.

wipe down chain with old t-shirt...ride for 500-800 miles and repeat.

tiretrax
11-18-2012, 08:47 PM
Lube the pins only, roll it through the gears, wipe it down, then, wipe it down again. After you ride, rinse it lightly with a hose, wipe it down, lube it, and wipe it down. The key is to keep the lube in the pins and rollers, not on the links. I am very diligent about this the first 500 miles after putting on a new chain. Then, I get lazy and it gets black until I get after it with some degreaser.

By the way, I sprayed a 1:1 solution of Simple Green and water on a dirty cassette. The grease melted away. If you use that on your chain, you probably want it more dilute in order to not strip all the lube out of the pins and rollers.

don compton
11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Pro Gold "Pro Link"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banana:

rustychisel
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM

Yeah, but it's the cleaning off regime which does the business, mostly. I ran out of Pro Link and ran out of money so used some old 3 in 1 oil I found lying around. Bike's still silent, been using it for 9 months.

Louis
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
It's a bike chain! It's supposed to get dirty.

If you don't want it to get dirty, then don't ride it.

Sorry, that sounds harsher than I intended, but it's the truth. I suppose you could, after every ride, run the chain through a paper towel, but that's way more than I would bother to do.

Riding's more fun than wrenching, so I try to maximize the former and minimize the later (within reason, of course - no maintenance at all is a bad idea and loud chains are terribly annoying).

ctcyclistbob
11-18-2012, 09:48 PM

That's what the OP uses currently but is looking for an alternative.

I use ProLink and like it - the key is wiping down the chain after and between applications.

don compton
11-18-2012, 09:52 PM
Yeah, but it's the cleaning off regime which does the business, mostly. I ran out of Pro Link and ran out of money so used some old 3 in 1 oil I found lying around. Bike's still silent, been using it for 9 months.
I live in Nor Cal and rarely ride in the rain or offroad. My very favorable experience probably will not be helpful to those that ride in a lot of inclement weather or salted roads.:cool:

merckx
11-19-2012, 05:19 AM
I've tried them all. Finish Line Dry is the best of the lot.

victoryfactory
11-19-2012, 06:50 AM
Don't apply lube to a wet chain, either wet with degreaser, water or
solvent. That creates a dirt attracting slurry on the chain.
Make sure the cassette and chainrings are dry and clean too.
Also apply lube sparingly and wipe chain off as stated above.

After washing bike,
If you have compressed air, blow dry the whole drivetrain before lubing.
Although expensive and probably not PC, you can use canned air for this.

VF

William
11-19-2012, 06:55 AM
I've tried them all. Finish Line Dry is the best of the lot.

I used that for a long time and it is good, but I use ATB now. Awesome stuff. I use it sparingly and wipe off the excess. Chain stays pretty clean but nothing will keep them pristine other than constant cleaning.

William

dekindy
11-19-2012, 07:09 AM
Use Chain-L No. 5 and you will have to lube rarely. Take 5 seconds and wipe down your chain after every ride and it will stay clean enough.

Hartlin
11-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Finish Line Dry, apply to links, run chain through thumb and index fingers spreading the lube, wipe excess shortly after.

rePhil
11-19-2012, 07:16 AM
This, but I use forum lube instead.

Use Chain-L No. 5 and you will have to lube rarely. Take 5 seconds and wipe down your chain after every ride and it will stay clean enough.

oldpotatoe
11-19-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks!

If ya use Prolink at night, wipe off really well, it won't turn black.

We will be having the national kick off of this right after Thanksgiving at Vecchio's.

http://www.wd40bike.com/

If yer in Boulder, come on by. Info will be on Facebook

Been postponed, the WD-40 thing. WD-40 did a test on the security of their bottles in the hands of children. Failed so a redesign of the bottle is in works. Good for them, they did something few other bike product companies would have done.

rice rocket
11-19-2012, 07:27 AM
Belt drive.

William
11-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Belt drive.

Nice!:cool:

William

yakstone
11-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Belt Drive - I switched to the Gates Belt Drive on my single speed a couple of weeks back. No lube required and whisper quiet.

bart998
11-19-2012, 11:01 AM
I have yet to find a commercial chain lube that doesn't collect dirt like magic. I have used WD40 on my chains for 30 years with excellent results. Collects a lot less dirt and lubes just fine. Spray it on, wipe off the excess. Once a week, you're all set. Clean the chain at the end of the season.

Gummee
11-19-2012, 11:09 AM
Tri-Flow in the spray bottle. Apply liberally. Wipe off. Let dry overnite if you can. Ride. Repeat.

Been working (with a few experiments with other lubes) for me for darn near 20 years now.

YMMV

M

bennie222
11-22-2012, 10:03 PM
Tri-Flow in the spray bottle. Apply liberally. Wipe off. Let dry overnite if you can. Ride. Repeat.

Been working (with a few experiments with other lubes) for me for darn near 20 years now.

YMMV

M

Spray bottle? genius. i've been putting tri flow on one drop per link and it takes forever... didn't know it even came in a spray bottle.

zap
11-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Years ago I used to lube new mtb chains with paraffin, like this:http://www.instructables.com/id/Lubricating-a-Bicycle-Chain-using-Paraffin/ The key to lubing with paraffin was getting the chain hot enough for the paraffin to flow into the chain without solidifying.

I do remember the chains appearing to stay clean but not sure how well it actually lubed.

Did that years ago........cooked chains in paraffin. Last about 100 miles then squeaked.

Now I lube chains with whatever I have in the house (finish line dry currently) when the chain talks to me.

Dirty chain = riding.

mmtmatrix
11-23-2012, 11:22 AM
I am sold on the WD40 bike products on the smell alone, its pretty amazing, almost like pie. Waiting to see how the samples I have hold up to use, but if it works like T9/prolink, Im sold. Delicious.

bart998
11-23-2012, 03:04 PM
I am sold on the WD40 bike products on the smell alone, its pretty amazing, almost like pie. Waiting to see how the samples I have hold up to use, but if it works like T9/prolink, Im sold. Delicious.

You'll have to use it a lot more often, but it doesn't cost $9 a can and your chain will stay a lot cleaner.

wc1934
11-23-2012, 10:05 PM
slick willie - if you can find it.

dave thompson
11-23-2012, 10:13 PM
slick willie - if you can find it.

Didn't he get voted out in 2000?

Tandem Rider
11-24-2012, 07:30 AM
It's a bike chain! It's supposed to get dirty.

Riding's more fun than wrenching, so I try to maximize the former and minimize the later (within reason, of course - no maintenance at all is a bad idea and loud chains are terribly annoying).

I just ride it until something starts "talking", but not squeeking. This can happen in one ride if it's wet gravel, might be 2 weeks in the summer under ideal conditions. Then I wash entire bike thoroughly, let it dry, inspect and lube, usually Triflow since I have it on hand, run through all of the gears a few times, wipe off any lube I can. Ride. I can do 2 bikes and 2 tandems in about an hour.

jr59
11-24-2012, 07:50 AM
I used that for a long time and it is good, but I use ATB now. Awesome stuff. I use it sparingly and wipe off the excess. Chain stays pretty clean but nothing will keep them pristine other than constant cleaning.

William

Don't listen to William.... He breaks to many new chains! :p

:banana::banana: