PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Covers & leg warmers

cmbicycles
11-17-2012, 10:34 PM
Hello all,
Any recommendations for shoe covers. I have been getting out late a few days in 50 and below weather and my feet start to get cold from the wind. (can't fit thicker socks in my sidi 48 shoes) I don't know that I need the real heavy neoprene booties, so I was thinking about just some lighter wind/shoe covers. Anyone have thoughts as to whether wind/shoe covers help much or not?

Any thoughts for knee warmers vs. leg warmers? Personal preference I am sure, but just looking for some opinions on that as well. I overheat a little when I wear tights over my shorts on similar days.

kramnnim
11-17-2012, 11:43 PM
The little toe covers help quite a bit, and aren't much hassle.

cat6
11-17-2012, 11:54 PM
The album was originally going to be called "The Invisible Men", but three weeks before the release, according to Roger Taylor, they decided to change the name to The Miracle. The striking cover art utilised the Quantel Paintbox, then state of the art image-manipulation technology, to combine photographs of the familiar faces of the four band members into one morphed Gestalt image, in line with their decision to dispense with individual credits and simply present their music as the product of Queen; the back cover went a step further with a seamless regiment of the bands' eyes. Derek Riggs, best known for illustrating Iron Maiden covers, claims that Queen "stole" the idea for this album cover from his cover for the single The Clairvoyant.

bikemoore
11-18-2012, 02:01 AM
This is probably bit beyond the question you are asking, but I'll make the recommendation anyway. Don't wear booties, get a pair of cold weather shoes (like Lake CX140 or Sidi Hydro) and skip the booties. I also wear size 48 shoes and finally got sick of dealing with booties. They are hard to get over the big shoes, lining up the cleat hole is a pain, the extra layer of material rubs your crank arms, you destroy the sole of the bootie with just a little bit of walking, the rear zipper blows out, and they look goofy. I've also tried toe covers and can never get them to fit over size 48 shoes without a major tug-of-war, and even they don't really fit right. I finally bought of pair of cold weather shoes and have never regretted it. More expensive initial cost than a pair of booties, but I have never regretted buying them. I used to get very frustrated with booties every cold season. Now I just put on wool or fleece socks under the cold/all weather boots and head on out in the cold.

pcxmbfj
11-18-2012, 05:45 AM
This is probably bit beyond the question you are asking, but I'll make the recommendation anyway. Don't wear booties, get a pair of cold weather shoes (like Lake CX140 or Sidi Hydro) and skip the booties. I also wear size 48 shoes and finally got sick of dealing with booties. They are hard to get over the big shoes, lining up the cleat hole is a pain, the extra layer of material rubs your crank arms, you destroy the sole of the bootie with just a little bit of walking, the rear zipper blows out, and they look goofy. I've also tried toe covers and can never get them to fit over size 48 shoes without a major tug-of-war, and even they don't really fit right. I finally bought of pair of cold weather shoes and have never regretted it. More expensive initial cost than a pair of booties, but I have never regretted buying them. I used to get very frustrated with booties every cold season. Now I just put on wool or fleece socks under the cold/all weather boots and head on out in the cold.

+1
They also make financial sense also because they are meant for bad riding conditions and prolong the life of your regular riding shoes.

Get the toe booties and you extend your feets comfort zone, handle days that start or end cool.

dekindy
11-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Hello all,
Any recommendations for shoe covers. I have been getting out late a few days in 50 and below weather and my feet start to get cold from the wind. (can't fit thicker socks in my sidi 48 shoes) I don't know that I need the real heavy neoprene booties, so I was thinking about just some lighter wind/shoe covers. Anyone have thoughts as to whether wind/shoe covers help much or not?

Any thoughts for knee warmers vs. leg warmers? Personal preference I am sure, but just looking for some opinions on that as well. I overheat a little when I wear tights over my shorts on similar days.

Judging from your questions, I am going to assume that you are a cool/cold weather riding novice.

A pair of woolie boolie http://www.defeet.com/60305/Cycling-Socks.html or wooleator high tops might be enough for me unless there was a strong wind. Next level would be to add toe covers http://www.rei.com/product/803548/pearl-izumi-elite-thermal-bike-shoe-toe-covers,-black,-small/m?preferredSku=8035480014&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-pla-_-product-_-8035480014&mr:trackingCode=A13A9C1C-F6CB-DF11-98FF-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&{copy:s_kwcid}=&gclid=CObphZ282LMCFQpgMgodC2wAAQ or slipstream shoe covers http://www.defeet.com/60663/Slipstreams.html. They all work, just have to determine from trial and error how cold natured you are and I can tell you from experience it varies greatly among individuals.

Defeet's kneekers http://www.defeet.com/60210/Knee-Warmers.html are great; they do the two things that you need which are to keep you warm and stay put. If you need full leg warmers then do a review and make sure the ones you are considering stay put also.

You might also consider http://www.weatherwarrior.com/ and arm warmers http://www.defeet.com/60209/Arm-Coverings.html and gloves http://www.defeet.com/60211/Gloves.html.

Also get something for your ears.

There are also heavier duty shoe covers. I would discourage Winter shoes unless you are extremely cold natured or are going to ride into 30 degree Fahrenheit temperatures. Get a lot of cool weather experience to determine this and also ride a fair amount in cooler/cold weather before spending a lot of money because when it comes down to it the vast majority of people don't like it. Just adding the simple items already discussed will greatly expand the range of cooler temps that you can ride comfortably and will give you flexibility to start in cool weather and remove items as the day warms.

You absolutely want to have your knees covered below 65 degrees Fahrenheit whether they feel cold or not. Knees can get damaged from cool weather riding and will sneek up on you before you know it.

jlwdm
11-18-2012, 06:50 AM
Booties are fantastic and work in a wide range of temperatures for me. You just need to find some that are the right size. I wear a 46.5 Mega and they are easy to put on, easy to line up and are starting their 5th season. I only ride down to about 34 degrees and they are good to that temperature.

Knee warmers are another essential piece of winter clothing. Again they work in a broad range of temperatures for me.

I use Capo for both.

Jeff

Gummee
11-18-2012, 08:17 AM
IME once you get to where you want to put on leg warmers, you may as well put on tights.

If the temps are in between, I'll do knee warmers.

Like anything else, you 'need' a few different weights of warmers.

AFA toe warmers: same as the above: you need different weights. From the Belgian style 'sock' style to the insulated everything proof for when its really cold. Ride in the ones that keep yer feet warm. I have toe warmers, Belgian style oversocks, Tarmac booties, and Gore insulated booties for different weather conditions.

M

carpediemracing
11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
I can't speak for size 48 experiences but I like my bike gear and I've bought and tried everything for feet. I have 3-4 sets of booties, knit shoe covers, lycra, windproof, and have tried toe warmers. The most significant factor is how warm I keep the rest of my body - I tend to keep my hands/feet/torso warm. Legs take less precedence. I'm not a kid either so none of that "wait until you get older" business. I will admit that I am very protective of my Achilles tendon so I wear booties by the time the temps drop into the mid 50s.

At 55 deg my preference is to run shorts, heat rub, and shoes with booties (with my torso bundled up). At 45-50 deg I "upgrade" the shorts to knickers. I don't have thermal shorts (yet) but I think that would let me run shorts down to 50 easily.

I love the SideTrak booties (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-sidetrak-booties.html). I discovered them about 20 years ago, maybe a bit more, and although I've wanted to use more sophisticated booties (and have bought $50+ booties, as recently as last winter), I find myself returning to the SideTraks. I have some PI Amphib booties, some others, and I skip those to use the SideTraks. The SideTraks' biggest advantage is the super soft ankle area - no abrading like every other bootie I've tried. It's also very easy to readjust and there's nothing to break so no broken zippers and such.

I have lycra shoe covers. They're so ineffective at heat retention I wear them in the summer for looks (team shoe covers).

I have knit shoe covers (think oversize gym socks). They're specifically made for cycling (Bontrager brand). They're also pretty ineffective at heat retention. I might wear them at 55-60 deg, when it's just a bit warm for my booties.

I have wind covers (think rubbery looking aero shoe covers) but they also have virtually no effect on warmth. Because they're a pain to put on I rarely use them.

shovelhd
11-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I can't say enough good things about the Lusso brand from Ribble. I have a pretty complete package from them. Bib tights, leg, knee, and arm warmers, and booties. The type I have are the Max Repel, which are a roubaix lined lycra fabric with a water repellent. I use the booties with my racing shoes. For the commuter bike, I use MTB shoes, and have a set of PI Barrier covers for them. They work OK. Not thrilled about the fit, but they do help.

I am also a big DeFeet socks fan. I have three types, the thin Wooleator, the thicker Woolie Boolie, and the super thick Blaze. I can only use the Blaze with the MTB shoes, but they allow me to ride in 30 degree weather without booties. The other two I can use with the racing shoes. I pick up a few sets whenever they are on sale.

Tony T
11-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Pearl Izumi soft shell, about $30.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51LdDZkOOsL._AA160_.jpg
Good for < 50°. I also use just the toe covers, but find these better (and covers my white socks :))

AgilisMerlin
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
have some leg warmers and knee warmers from some reputable companies that suck big time (SBT")

If they do not have some kind of rubber strip (stitching) at tops - they slide, and therefore my suck's comment above.

i have a box full of good and bad. My wife knows which i am wearing, due to the cursory ramblings flowing from my mouth, while dressing :eek:

tiretrax
11-18-2012, 12:15 PM
Just remember whatever warmers you go with (arm, knee, leg), be sure to wear them UNDER your jersey and shorts. Only tights go over them.

Gummee
11-18-2012, 06:48 PM
just remember whatever warmers you go with (arm, knee, leg), be sure to wear them under your jersey and shorts. Only tights go over them.

+1

m

AgilisMerlin
11-19-2012, 06:49 AM
bontrager rxl booties, http://bontrager.com/model/07876

weird rubber/waxy/leather outer. kinda' sexy description

with fleece on the inside. best booties i have ever owned. waterproof zipper/velcro top closure.

unbelievable actually

http://s7d4.scene7.com/is/image/TrekBicycleProducts/45936?wid=390&hei=390&fit=fit,1&fmt=jpg&qlt=85,1&op_usm=0,0,0,0&iccEmbed=0

these are also extremely soft and pliable. as mentioned below.

William
11-19-2012, 06:51 AM
I can't speak for size 48 experiences but I like my bike gear and I've bought and tried everything for feet. I have 3-4 sets of booties, knit shoe covers, lycra, windproof, and have tried toe warmers. The most significant factor is how warm I keep the rest of my body - I tend to keep my hands/feet/torso warm. Legs take less precedence. I'm not a kid either so none of that "wait until you get older" business. I will admit that I am very protective of my Achilles tendon so I wear booties by the time the temps drop into the mid 50s.

At 55 deg my preference is to run shorts, heat rub, and shoes with booties (with my torso bundled up). At 45-50 deg I "upgrade" the shorts to knickers. I don't have thermal shorts (yet) but I think that would let me run shorts down to 50 easily.

I love the SideTrak booties (http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2009/12/review-sidetrak-booties.html). I discovered them about 20 years ago, maybe a bit more, and although I've wanted to use more sophisticated booties (and have bought $50+ booties, as recently as last winter), I find myself returning to the SideTraks. I have some PI Amphib booties, some others, and I skip those to use the SideTraks. The SideTraks' biggest advantage is the super soft ankle area - no abrading like every other bootie I've tried. It's also very easy to readjust and there's nothing to break so no broken zippers and such...

Back in the day they were the only booties I could find to fit over my canoes.

William