PDA

View Full Version : 11 speed Campy front derailleur on 28.6 clamp

nighthawk
11-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I'm putting Campy 11 speed on a bike with a 28.6 seat tube. I currently have a braze-on FD and was going to get the Problem Solvers clamp... but was wondering if anyone had any luck using an older campy 28.6 clamp and swapping the 11 FD onto it. Can this work?

Thanks!

Tonger
11-17-2012, 03:23 PM
I am in the process of doing the exact same thing and have a 11s 32mm derailleur that I would like to convert to a braze on. The pre-11s fd's can be converted by removing a single allen bolt and moving it onto either a clamp or braze on fd base.

The 11s does not have this allen screw and I cannot figure out how to remove the business workings of the fd from the derailleur base.

>>>Does anyone know how to do this? There are two hollow pins attaching the record fd to the derailleur body that I cannot figure out how to remove. I've tried both allen and torx wrenches but wonder if they are somehow press fit?

FWIW, it seems to be a general consensus that a 10s FD will work fine in a 11s group.

oldpotatoe
11-17-2012, 03:39 PM
I'm putting Campy 11 speed on a bike with a 28.6 seat tube. I currently have a braze-on FD and was going to get the Problem Solvers clamp... but was wondering if anyone had any luck using an older campy 28.6 clamp and swapping the 11 FD onto it. Can this work?

Thanks!

Cannot do this starting in 2008...You can use a 2003 or older FD...find a 28.6 clamp FD, last made 2003 or so.

handsomerob
11-17-2012, 04:33 PM
Cannot do this starting in 2008...You can use a 2003 or older FD...find a 28.6 clamp FD, last made 2003 or so.

Do you think Campy will ever restart making 28.6mm clamp FD's? It seems that there is a pretty decent market for them. 3 out of 4 of my bikes use them.. And 2 of those frames are modern (Soma Saga and Salsa Casseroll).

jamaris
11-17-2012, 04:35 PM
I am in the process of doing the exact same thing and have a 11s 32mm derailleur that I would like to convert to a braze on. The pre-11s fd's can be converted by removing a single allen bolt and moving it onto either a clamp or braze on fd base.

The 11s does not have this allen screw and I cannot figure out how to remove the business workings of the fd from the derailleur base.

>>>Does anyone know how to do this? There are two hollow pins attaching the record fd to the derailleur body that I cannot figure out how to remove. I've tried both allen and torx wrenches but wonder if they are somehow press fit?

FWIW, it seems to be a general consensus that a 10s FD will work fine in a 11s group.

Yeah 10 s front derailleurs for me as well. It's annoying they cant be swapped. I have some perfectly good clamps that have to be swapped only on 10 speed. I love campagnolo, but that sort of switch always bothers me.

thwart
11-17-2012, 05:15 PM
As an acceptable work around, you an buy a nylon spacer that goes under a 31.8 FD to make it fit a 28.6 seat tube. Branford Bike has carried them. I've used this in the past on a couple of bikes and it is barely noticeable.

Added benefit: no paint scuffing (or worse) from an over-tightened aluminum FD band on your fancy finish...

Here 'tis: http://branfordbike.com/product/le-tour-front-derailleur-clamp-shim-878.htm

Ralph
11-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I also use a nylon shim under a 31.8 M clamp on my bike with 28.6 tube size. Sure saves the paint. Works fine also. Got them on E bay as I recall. Look under front derailleur shims.

Tonger
11-17-2012, 10:50 PM

So is it possible to separate the pivoting part of the fd from the base for a post 2008 fd? They had to attach the two sections when they produced the part, I just can't seem to figure out how? Maybe if I were to drill our the hollow connecting pins could I then mount it using the screw on a pre 2008 fd base?

Thanks for any suggestions -

oldpotatoe
11-18-2012, 07:23 AM
Do you think Campy will ever restart making 28.6mm clamp FD's? It seems that there is a pretty decent market for them. 3 out of 4 of my bikes use them.. And 2 of those frames are modern (Soma Saga and Salsa Casseroll).

No. They think that steel frames are gone for some strange reason. They are a very small part of the bicycle frame market tho, those with 28.6 seat tubes.

For sku sake, I stock brazeons and the 3 clamps..fine idea, clamps and brazeons work fine.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2012, 07:24 AM
So is it possible to separate the pivoting part of the fd from the base for a post 2008 fd? They had to attach the two sections when they produced the part, I just can't seem to figure out how? Maybe if I were to drill our the hollow connecting pins could I then mount it using the screw on a pre 2008 fd base?

Thanks for any suggestions -

No, cannot swap the clamps on 2008 and later. i guess you could take out your drill and such but...just use a brazeon and clamp, IMHO.

nighthawk
11-18-2012, 08:53 AM
Since I already have a braze on FD... I'll probably just pick up the 28.6 clamp. Problem Solver, indeed.

PacNW2Ford
11-18-2012, 09:36 AM
Here's my setup:

Chorus 11 FD on Problem Solvers 28.6 clamp with a K-Edge chain catcher