PDA

View Full Version : Usps

vav
11-17-2012, 08:23 AM
No wonder they are where they are.

Shipped a wheelset from Providence, RI to CT. Barely 120 mi away. It took 18 days and tracking shows them at some point in North Carolina. :confused:

oldpotatoe
11-17-2012, 08:26 AM

Shipped a wheelset from Providence, RI to CT. Barely 120 mi away. It took 18 days and tracking shows them at some point in North Carolina. :confused:

I pay bills via the USPS...I have had more than a few 'get lost', and more than a few take up to 2 weeks to get from here to there...

VERY inefficient operation.

AgilisMerlin
11-17-2012, 08:38 AM
fedex

mossman
11-17-2012, 10:12 AM
pay bills via mail? I havent done that in a decade. There's this thing called the internet that works well.

DRietz
11-17-2012, 10:23 AM
pay bills via mail? I havent done that in a decade. There's this thing called the internet that works well.

Wow, uncalled for? Maybe just a teeny little?

USPS has their bad days. Sometimes those days tend to draw out into weeks, and then months...

There was a time when I sent a package and it never got scanned at my post office and never got received by the buyer. I raised some hell with the manager at the local office and they searched the building, found my package in a sorter's locker.

Mail theft. How often does THAT happen?!

mossman
11-17-2012, 10:53 AM
should I have used a smiley face to denote sarcasm?
its cool man.

DRietz
11-17-2012, 10:54 AM
should I have used a smiley face to denote sarcasm?
its cool man.

Figured as much. Figured I'd call you on it, though. Seems to be our pattern these days. ;)

bluesea
11-17-2012, 11:10 AM

By what shipping service?

I Want Sachs?
11-17-2012, 12:28 PM

I think Lance and his boys are paying back for USPS days by brining the wheelset down to NC and coming back up with Hincapie.

ultraman6970
11-17-2012, 12:33 PM
Hmm... sometimes for some reason boxes do not get off the trucks when they suppose to. and then returned back to the starting point. Got two like that last year, just stupid and nobody knew why the boxes did that.

GuyGadois
11-17-2012, 12:39 PM
For shipping wheels and bikes I have found FedEx ground to be faster and cheaper than USPS and UPS.

slidey
11-17-2012, 01:10 PM
Will keep this in mind for the future, thanks!

For shipping wheels and bikes I have found FedEx ground to be faster and cheaper than USPS and UPS.

AngryScientist
11-17-2012, 01:14 PM
as the counter point: i've had nothing but good service from the USPS. whenever that is an option for me to use to have something shipped to me, i choose it. usps has been very reliable for me anyway.

PQJ
11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
My experience is the same as nick's and I've actually been pleasantly surprised with USPS on more than a few occasions (as long as I don't have to actually go in to a store and deal with a live person).

vav
11-17-2012, 01:40 PM

The same here. Didn't do it that way for the wheels because I dropped other stuff via USPS Priority Mail (usually very good service) and didn't feel like making another stop at FedEx.

Service I used I think it was USPS Parcel? Can't recall, it seems so long ago :p

SolidSnake03
11-17-2012, 02:14 PM
My dad has been a letter carrier with USPS for 30+ years now and he said if whatever your shipping really matters and you care about it DO NOT USE USPS.

He pretty much told me word for word, don't use USPS if its important. I need to learn things the hard way it seems and sadly my own personal experiences mirror this, I'm now a UPS/FedEx sort of guy

AngryScientist
11-17-2012, 02:17 PM
My dad has been a letter carrier with USPS for 30+ years now and he said if whatever your shipping really matters and you care about it DO NOT USE USPS.

He pretty much told me word for word, don't use USPS if its important. I need to learn things the hard way it seems and sadly my own personal experiences mirror this, I'm now a UPS/FedEx sort of guy

how terrible it must be to devote your entire working career for an institution that you dont believe in.

mossman
11-17-2012, 05:03 PM
for large packages, ups/fedex is way the go.

for smaller packages and letters, usps always. the priority flat rate boxes are excellent.

I know a guy that works for ups. they throw boxes around like gorillas. I guess that happens anywhere.

Never had a problem with usps other than a few hiccups. The same can be said with my experiences with fedex/ups.

craptacular
11-17-2012, 08:16 PM
I have a bike that was shipped from Switzerland mid October that arrived in the US on the 24th of Oct that I still don't have. In the mean time, I shipped an SRM to the same town my bike was shipped from, and it arrived about 4 days ago. Ridiculous how poorly our postal system works.

SolidSnake03
11-17-2012, 09:06 PM
how terrible it must be to devote your entire working career for an institution that you dont believe in.

It's largely the result of spending an entire career there that he doesn't believe in it. He didn't walk in on day 1 with that outlook, it was cultivated over decades of experience with the institution.

Also, I have the utmost respect for his dedication to working a job that he might not like or believe in anymore because financially it was one of the best options for him. He barely made it through high school and had a growing family to support. The job offered decent pay and more hours than a human being should ever make themselves work for 20+ years.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2012, 08:22 AM

Geee, thanks-that thing called the internet, which is wireless in my shop, cannot be hardwired, can be hacked very easily.

I'll take the few lost bills and long delivery vs opening up my bank account(online) and see the balance is zero-thanks.

mossman
11-18-2012, 11:32 AM
I have a bike that was shipped from Switzerland mid October that arrived in the US on the 24th of Oct that I still don't have. In the mean time, I shipped an SRM to the same town my bike was shipped from, and it arrived about 4 days ago. Ridiculous how poorly our postal system works.

some things pass quickly through customs, others get inspected and take time.
and factor in the hurricane.

mossman
11-18-2012, 11:33 AM
Geee, thanks-that thing called the internet, which is wireless in my shop, cannot be hardwired, can be hacked very easily.

I'll take the few lost bills and long delivery vs opening up my bank account(online) and see the balance is zero-thanks.

autopay? works well for me, no problems.

Jeff N.
11-18-2012, 11:50 AM
There was this little rain storm called Sandy recently on the east coast...might have a little something to do with the slow service in that neck'o'the woods.

corky
11-18-2012, 05:48 PM
October 12th ship an item from Japan to me here in US land.... 13th October left Osaka

USPS shows 'originating post is preparing shipment'

...... and it's been like that for over 5 effing weeks now!

EMS connects with USPS .

Their tracking system sucks a big one. When you call them they can only tell you what the tracking system tells you... ie. Nadir Nothing.

does USPS have it? does US customs have it? has someone stolen it.

Who the F knows????????

$5000 out.........p

Yes my Piss is well and truly boiled!!!!!!!

corky
11-18-2012, 05:50 PM
There was this little rain storm called Sandy recently on the east coast...might have a little something to do with the slow service in that neck'o'the woods.

Bollox .... they are just truly utterly hopeless.... see post above, they lost it even before Sandy hit and now use that as an excuse....

btl68
11-18-2012, 05:58 PM
All shippers have sucky days. I worked for UPS for a few years. Amazing that ANYTHING makes it anywhere, especially undamaged. I have used them all, and have had problems with all. Thankfully, not too many problems.

Avoid Christmastime shipping.

corky
11-18-2012, 06:04 PM
Thing is i've lived all over Europe and nobody lost a package 'til i came to the US and experienced USPS......

SteveV0983
11-18-2012, 10:18 PM
I find a lot of it seems to be regional and oddly enough, I'm originally from RI and always found Providence exceptional. But that was 20 years ago and I know things change. Last year I shipped a set of wheels and ruled out USPS due to lack of true tracking (delivery confirmation is a joke). I found that FedEx was one third the price of UPS and has been flawless for me. I now live in S. Florida and I would say that at least 20% of the packages I receive UPS show up damaged. My experience is that they are the worst.
Unfortunately, I think some people will not appreciate USPS until they are gone, which seems to be the way many in DC would prefer it to be. In my opinion, one of the best deals in the world is sticking an envelope in a box in Miami and having it show up in San Francisco for 44 cents. Over the past several years, I find that if you don't care about tracking, go postal; if it is fragile or you care about it at all, go FedEx; if you don't care about how it shows up on the other end (maybe you are returning a shirt or some soft goods), UPS is an option, but I still prefer FedEx. Plus, FedEx is the "greenest" of them all and has a cool frog with a mushroom on it's head as it's current mascot. And I love frogs.

oldpotatoe
11-19-2012, 08:23 AM
Thing is i've lived all over Europe and nobody lost a package 'til i came to the US and experienced USPS......

Send a Feedback bike stand to a guy I know in the Netherlands...tracking(at least there WAS tracking) showed it was in..............

Saudi Arabia..yep...but eventually it got to him...