PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the Rapha Cycle Club in San Fran

FlashUNC
11-16-2012, 08:36 PM
Was out in San Fran for work earlier this week. Made a point to swing by the Rapha Cycle Club. Had a couple items I wanted to try on from their site, and they allegedly had some good pastry and coffee.

Very cool place all around with some great photos and other old race bits around the place.

They also had Garrett Chow's Specialized frame exhibit on the display. Despite the rather, um, divide on their clothing and business strategy, I'd definitely recommend checking out the shop.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8338/8189956871_90508f3d06_b.jpg

Louis
11-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Personally, I doubt they would even let me in the door. I'm just not hip enough.

http://satelliteradioplayground.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Studio54sign.jpg

FlashUNC
11-16-2012, 09:12 PM
Door was wide open when we walked up.

Folks behind the coffee bar and working the shop were all friendly. Really nothing to complain about.

Louis
11-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Door was wide open when we walked up.

Folks behind the coffee bar and working the shop were all friendly. Really nothing to complain about.

I don't doubt it, but what's a Rapha thread without someone complaining about how epic they are? ;)

nighthawk
11-16-2012, 09:15 PM
As long as you don't need chamois cream to drink their espresso, they're all good in my book.

coylifut
11-16-2012, 09:23 PM
i walked in during the Olympics and watched the track events. nice location, shop and people.

Yes. Rapha is run by people and I like to ride with everyone of them I've met.

FlashUNC
11-16-2012, 09:51 PM
I don't doubt it, but what's a Rapha thread without someone complaining about how epic they are? ;)

As my friend said who is totally unaware of anything cycling related: "why are all the quotes painted on the wall about suffering? That's weird."

oldpotatoe
11-17-2012, 08:46 AM
Was out in San Fran for work earlier this week. Made a point to swing by the Rapha Cycle Club. Had a couple items I wanted to try on from their site, and they allegedly had some good pastry and coffee.

Very cool place all around with some great photos and other old race bits around the place.

They also had Garrett Chow's Specialized frame exhibit on the display. Despite the rather, um, divide on their clothing and business strategy, I'd definitely recommend checking out the shop.

What's not to like. Places like this that exude class, thought and frankly, the $ to make it work are great places.

Wish there was one in Boulder, maybe I ought to call 'em.

67-59
11-17-2012, 08:54 AM
Never been to one, but they look awesome. Definitely will go when in SF or any other place they have one (NYC, London I think?). Good coffee and bike stuff together - it's all good!

nighthawk
11-17-2012, 09:26 AM
As long as you don't need chamois cream to drink their espresso, they're all good in my book.

One too many Shed brown ales last night. This doesn't make any sense. :confused:

rwsaunders
11-17-2012, 10:08 AM
I was just in SF for a few days and I didn't know of the store. Oh well, next time.

DRietz
11-17-2012, 10:26 AM
One too many Shed brown ales last night. This doesn't make any sense. :confused:

Best string of posts ever. Besides the ones that devolve around me.

:beer:

nighthawk
11-17-2012, 10:35 AM
Best string of posts ever. Besides the ones that devolve around me.

:beer:

Thanks for the encouragement ;)

It's been a long couple of weeks. 3 exams in 5 days. And somebody abruptly resigned at my office, so I've been tasked with teaching myself a new position, with little to no guidance. Fun times.

But seriously, man... don't be so stingy with the tracking numbers. :p

DRietz
11-17-2012, 10:38 AM
But seriously, man... don't be so stingy with the tracking numbers. :p

But...

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2009/1/11/128761754213776229.jpg

On another note, I live right across the bay from the Rapha club in SF and still have yet to go. All that $25 shaving cream gives me an inferiority complex.

bluesea
11-17-2012, 11:07 AM

Can't the barrista make a bicycle wheel? They've just lost my "cool" vote. :D

FlashUNC
11-17-2012, 04:32 PM
Can't the barrista make a bicycle wheel? They've just lost my "cool" vote. :D

Flower hater. I thought it was pretty and made me feel special.

tiretrax
11-17-2012, 04:55 PM
I went to the Cycle Clu last year when I was in SF with my daughter. Although the TDF was on the tv, we only had a few minutes to visit before we had to get on the road, but I would love to hang out there and watch a race. They couldn't have been nicer to her or to me, even though I am anti-hip.

For all the Rapha-haters, get over it. Visit a cycle club and talk to the people. Ride with them. I bet you'll find they're all right.

Louis
11-17-2012, 05:25 PM
For all the Rapha-haters, get over it. Visit a cycle club and talk to the people. Ride with them. I bet you'll find they're all right.

Not sure if this was addressed to me or not, but I'll take the time to reply.

I don't consider myself a "hater" in the sense that I despise them, and hope that they fail. Quite the opposite - I wish them very best. If they can find a way to make it in this economy, if they offer products and a vibe that folks are willing to spend premium money to have, more power to them.

However, I think I know myself well enough and have seen enough by and about Rapha to know that they aren't my sort of scene. But because some folks do take them so seriously, it's easy to take humorous shots at their "epic" style and their yak skin shoes.

Louis

fourflys
11-17-2012, 07:44 PM
As I said in my thread a couple weeks ago, I doubt many of us would turn down a chance to do a Rapha Ride if asked... they seem to have a lot of fun on their rides... I'll have to check it out next time I'm down at the in-laws...