PDA

View Full Version : best chainring bolts?

Tpayne
11-16-2012, 02:29 PM
Was tightening the bolts on my sram force compact crank and one of em broke, thinking of just replacing the whole set.

Will steel shimano ones fit? Or do I need some certain brand to maintain the correct spacing? I switched my inner ring recently from Sram to FSA, hope that didnt create weird spacing.

Also how tight should you do chainring bolts? I greased em but do not have a torque wrench

oldpotatoe
11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Was tightening the bolts on my sram force compact crank and one of em broke, thinking of just replacing the whole set.

Will steel shimano ones fit? Or do I need some certain brand to maintain the correct spacing? I switched my inner ring recently from Sram to FSA, hope that didnt create weird spacing.

Also how tight should you do chainring bolts? I greased em but do not have a torque wrench

Get some steel ones, like Sugino..grease threads, wee bit on the flats where the CRs live also..make 'em tight.

fogrider
11-16-2012, 03:41 PM
yeah, pretty much any steel ones should be fine...but I like campy. since these bolts don't have any washers they can come loose after some miles. I put blue loctight on it and let it dry before installing with grease.

Tpayne
11-16-2012, 03:45 PM
what size bolts (depth) for sram force crank? I think Sugino doubles come in 9mm?

pcxmbfj
11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
what size bolts (depth) for sram force crank? I think Sugino doubles come in 9mm?

Chainbolts are all 9mm in my experience but differ in length for single, doubles and triple cranksets.

You can use a washer or carefully grind down a triple to fit the other cranksets.

AgilisMerlin
11-17-2012, 06:56 AM
steel with it's sidekick grease