PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for input on selling frames!

Frank
10-18-2005, 09:38 PM
You all really put a lot of thought into this issue! I appreciate the thoughts and, even more, that you took the time to put them down in the postings.

I have donated a dozen or so frames over the past year to a bike project that builds bikes up for folks who have no other means of transportation. They have used some of them, sold some to raise money for parts, and have a few for sale now on eBay. I found that it made more sense for me to donate a lower priced frame I wasn't going to build up than to try and resell it, especially with the shipping, listing, PayPal, etc. fees I mentioned in my original note. I am a bargain buyer, and these "too good to pass up low priced frames" never got built, just bought. Now they have a good home and are being used in a good cause.

I bought the recent six NOS Colnagos because I like how they look, find nice older lugged steel frames harder and harder to come by, wanted a couple for myself, and because there was such strong interest last time I bought some that I thought I could sell a few of them and make a bit too. I have sold three and will build one of the remaining three up for me (SLX Super Conic). I am holding on to the other two also for now.

I am looking over my bike frame sales and am finding that my frame sales are generating money not so much for my riding bike hobby, but to buy more frames. No real net gain (although by shopping pretty carefully I have done okay) to show because it all seems to go back to buying more frames. Kind of like a broker churning stocks for you...lots of turnover in product and cash comes in and goes out, but with fees and charges and such no real gains to show.

I also spend a great deal of time dealing in these bikes. I spend lots of time looking over bike sites and with e-mails. It takes me approximately an hour to pack a frameset from the time I start on it in the garage until I get the shipping label printed. It is a labor of love, but it is also time consuming and I am meticulous about the details. I am never completely at ease with the sale until the frame arrives safely and the buyer is happy with what he got. Working full time and having my daughter living with me, time is more of a premium than ever and more of a consideration in this frame selling stuff.

Someone mentioned that I need to decide if this is a hobby or a business for me. Great point! I spend the time and energy on it like it was a business, and try to pack the frames and take card of buyers like it was a business, but am content to make enough money to just get some more stuff to sell again. I spoke with a dealer in old lugged steel frames and he says he doesn't have much turnover in his stock because he doesn't come down on his prices. He says they aren't making anymore of the vintage frames he sells, so he keeps the prices high and when someone wants one bad enogh they will pay the asking price. I like to see new stuff too much to hold on to frames for very long, nor do I have a big storage area, so that wouldn't work for me.

A couple of folks said I sold too cheap and they would have paid more for what they got from me. Please relieve yourself of this guilt and repression and feel free to send me some more money...you know who you are ;)

I sold the most recent NOS Colnago for about $40 less than what I belive it would have brought on eBay, but I saved the listing and final sales fees and it will go to a good person. I may try more of these sales if I continue to buy and sell...lower the price until it has to go to eBay to reach that huge audience and then make the price cover the fees.

It is hard not to want to buy at this time of the year. Fall and winter are good times for buying and storing until spring when a rider's fancy turns to a new road companion. I think I will try...try mind you...to not go on the buying sprees of the past few years' cooler months.

I also like the buying and selling process. Bargaining on price, discussing details, communicating with folks who also share a passion for bikes, getting stuff in, satisfied buyers, etc. Sometimes it seems to me like the action of this is a big part of the reason I participate.

I think I will continue to look, but will be slower to buy. I have the bike I love to ride (Tommasini SLX Super Prestige) and the frame I wanted to build up (Colnago SLX Super Conic). If I find one I can't live without and will build up (54 or 55cm Merckx MXL, Ciocc SLX, and maybe a few others) I will probably not be able to resist. If it is just a good buy, or I think I can make a little money reselling it, I will pass. Let's see how this works for a while. As to your part in this...please don't tempt me :no:

Serotta PETE
10-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Sounds like alot of fun >>> wish I had the knowledge. You and SPOKES should meet some time. He rides a 55cm and has MANY bikes and is always looking also.

Old saying is "an item is worth what someone is willing to pay for it". Don't beat yourself up on price. What you sold was at the price you wanted and the price it would have sold at (for it did sell).

"Could have" -- "Would have" - - "Should have" are good points of conversation BUT they are just that.

sc53
10-19-2005, 03:48 PM
Frank, I enjoyed reading the thread about your experience selling frames too. I have bought and sold a lot on eBay but nothing approaching a business. Just spare gear I bought and didn't use or need. I like the interaction and the gratitude of the buyer who gets a great item at a great price. I have a question for you though--where do you find your "bargain" frames?? Did you get those Colnagos from Italy? That must be fun!
ps I'm a 50/51 if you ever want to branch out sizewise.

Fixed
10-19-2005, 04:02 PM
bro thanks for being Frank now I know there are others that love those old classic frames cheers :beer:

Keith A
10-19-2005, 05:41 PM
I just wanted to add as a buyer of one of Frank's frames that he is one of the greatest guys to deal with. He went the extra mile in making sure that I was fully aware of the condition of the frameset and that I would be satisfied with the condition...and his packing job was 1st rate. On top of that, he was great to deal with and enjoyed my interation with him.

There ought to be more Franks in this world :banana: