PDA

View Full Version : OT: NHL Lockout does anyone even care?

Louis
11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
I'm not much of a fan, but it is a shame that the entire season may be lost.

And did I hear properly that the TV contracts are written such that the owners get paid by the networks whether hockey is played or not? If so, that's insane, and incredibly stupid on the part of the TV lawyers.

Any big fans out there? Your thoughts on the latest debacle?

From what I've heard thus far, NHL owners seem to be particularly inept.

As a reminder, from Wikipedia:

The NHL lockout may refer to any of the four labour actions in the history of the National Hockey League:

The 1992 NHL strike, which postponed 30 games of the 1991–92 season

The 1994–95 NHL lockout, which cancelled many of the games of the 1994–95 season and shortened the regular season to 48 games per team with no inter-conference games

The 2004–05 NHL lockout, which cancelled all of the games of the 2004–05 season

The ongoing 2012–present NHL lockout, which began on September 15, 2012

choke
11-15-2012, 09:58 PM
I didn't even know there was a lockout. :confused:

Other than the rare motorcycle race, I stopped watching all pro sports in 1992 (no cable or dish so no bicycle racing). I then stopped watching TV period in 2007. I don't miss it at all.

dave thompson
11-15-2012, 10:00 PM
What's an NHL?

(oooooh, I'm gonna get flamed for that one!)

beercan
11-15-2012, 10:38 PM
Nope

thegunner
11-15-2012, 10:39 PM
i do... :( but i've given up hope on this season

dancinkozmo
11-15-2012, 10:41 PM
...on the upside, this is the best start the leafs have had in years !!!

LJohnny
11-15-2012, 10:48 PM
The only reason I know is because I was listening to the radio the other day when they were commenting on the fact that they were recruiting amateurs to cover. There was this dude who is a bank clerk, but was coving as a goalie. Pretty funny.

cnighbor1
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
NHL Stands for NO HOPE LEFT
season is now on ICE
I feel they could lose a lot of fan base. why because many fans have never played Hockey. You need ICE to play and many areas in USA have no winter. Just Ice Areas which limits exposure to Hockey. If fan base leaves it take in USA a long time to rebuild For baseball, football and basket ball nearly every one has played some sports some. therefore the fan base exists already
I played San lot Hockey in Detroit so I am a fan. but don't miss San Jose Sharks and their never doing much in playoffs

that guy
11-15-2012, 10:53 PM
I love hockey. I couldn't care less about the other "major" sports.

I haz a sad.

thegunner
11-15-2012, 10:57 PM
...on the upside, this is the best start the leafs have had in years !!!

Same can be said about Columbus... THIS IS THEIR YEAR TO BE AVERAGE

BumbleBeeDave
11-16-2012, 05:51 AM
They're gonna kill their sport, doing this crap until nobody even cares about it. Squabbling over money and what are obviously petty personal vendettas.

Pat and Hein alone are . . . wait, we're talking about HOCKEY?

Oh, sorry . . .

BBD

witcombusa
11-16-2012, 06:06 AM
When they cancelled the Winter Classic we knew the entire season was in trouble. While hockey is the only sport I actually watch, they are no less or more stupid than any of the others when it comes to greed and disregard for the sport as a whole. I'd love to see most of the top tier players "play and stay" in europe for a season or two.....many are there now.

rbtmcardle
11-16-2012, 06:40 AM
Huge hockey fan, Flyers season ticket holder for several years .. I prefer it over football and baseball.. I don't watch pro basketball, so I just watch more soccer.

The owners seem to be the bigger fools on this one..

dancinkozmo
11-16-2012, 06:51 AM
...the only pure sport left, no doping, no greedy owners and unions, super exciting , action packed, the hottest ladies.....

Curling

Whos up for some curling chat ??

67-59
11-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Had no clue there was a lockout, so I guess you could count me as someone who doesn't care.

Oh, and I live in Minnesota. The fact that I haven't even heard about on the local news - which I watch most nights, but not all - can't be a good sign for the sport.

jr59
11-16-2012, 08:17 AM
They're gonna kill their sport, doing this crap until nobody even cares about it. Squabbling over money and what are obviously petty personal vendettas.

Pat and Hein alone are . . . wait, we're talking about HOCKEY?

Oh, sorry . . .

BBD

Nailed it!

...the only pure sport left, no doping, no greedy owners and unions, super exciting , action packed, the hottest ladies.....

Curling

Whos up for some curling chat ??

Just wait until those curling stars start signing multi-million dollar deals.
Then the greed will follow and thr PEDs will start!

FlashUNC
11-16-2012, 08:18 AM
Just more ridiculously greedy owners.

Nothing like losing two full seasons of the sport in the last 8 years.

CNY rider
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
Blame whomever you like, but the NHL is NOT thriving.
The quality of play is often mediocre at best.
TV viewership and the money that goes with it is poor.
And they are only going to make it worse with play stoppages.
They all seem intent on blowing their own feet off.

eippo1
11-16-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm pretty pissy about it, but then again we have great college hockey coverage here in New England. Plus games are cheap and exciting with good players that are willing to put a lot of heart into it. I'll take a Beanpot game over an NHL playoff game any day (okay that might be going a bit far).

54ny77
11-16-2012, 09:17 AM
You know what lockout really matters? The union lockout that just cost 18,000+ jobs directly (disregarding spillover impact on the economy), the end of the storied Hostess brands, and the loss of Twinkies.

Twinkies, man. No more! Gone!

witcombusa
11-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm pretty pissy about it, but then again we have great college hockey coverage here in New England. Plus games are cheap and exciting with good players that are willing to put a lot of heart into it. I'll take a Beanpot game over an NHL playoff game any day (okay that might be going a bit far).

I went to school in Boston. Loved the Beanpot every year but hate the Bruins, so it was a wash! :eek:

witcombusa
11-16-2012, 10:11 AM
You know what lockout really matters? The union lockout that just cost 18,000+ jobs directly (disregarding spillover impact on the economy), the end of the storied Hostess brands, and the loss of Twinkies.

Twinkies, man. No more! Gone!

Yeah, I'll take a Hostess cupcake or three over a powerbar any day :banana:

rice rocket
11-16-2012, 10:20 AM
I like hockey, it's really the only sport I have a desire to watch (I'll flip on football games and the world series though, out of boredom).

I hope nothing but the best for the sport, but I hope both parties realize how dumb this is and take a huge hit because of it.

redir
11-16-2012, 10:25 AM
I love hockey. I couldn't care less about the other "major" sports.

I haz a sad.

Me too. I'm actually not a big fan but it's the only pro sport I ever sit down to watch. I grew up with my dad taking me to see the Hartford Whalers and a lot of minor league games. And of course in New England when the ponds froze over there was hockey every day after school.

witcombusa
11-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Me too. I'm actually not a big fan but it's the only pro sport I ever sit down to watch. I grew up with my dad taking me to see the Hartford Whalers and a lot of minor league games. And of course in New England when the ponds froze over there was hockey every day after school.

To be fair, we went to see the Whalers because of the teams they played ;)

Once Ron "franchise" Francis was shipped over to the Pens (w/Ulf) there really was no team left.....worked out pretty well for Pittsburgh though....

zap
11-16-2012, 11:22 AM
(I'll flip on football games and the world series though, out of boredom).

Otherwise known as nap time after a good ride, great lunch, decent beers & a not so small bag of chips. :banana:

Yes, I miss hockey.......not to smart that games got canceled this year.

Mr. Squirrel
11-16-2012, 11:37 AM
they were recruiting amateurs to cover. There was this dude who is a bank clerk, but was coving as a goalie. Pretty funny.

i think i shall stick to bikes. much safer.

mr. squirrel
http://the4thstar.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/squirrel_cast.jpg?w=700

redir
11-16-2012, 11:45 AM
To be fair, we went to see the Whalers because of the teams they played ;)

Once Ron "franchise" Francis was shipped over to the Pens (w/Ulf) there really was no team left.....worked out pretty well for Pittsburgh though....

Haha yes true but I was a Zarley Zalapski fan because I liked his name :D

jeduardo
11-16-2012, 01:11 PM
...Gunner, it's understood that the hapless Jackasses can't even get out of their own way, BUT lest us not forget the rink-tomfoolery that is the NY ISLANDERS! No NHL season is probably just fine w/the Isle & their fans (which I'm not of course)!
IMHO when NHL does come back, it may be just as nationally irrelevant, here in USA, as it was during the late 80's/early 90s. So puck-heads unite because for better or worse looks like our sport is going back to being celebrated by only those banging the glass on the far-fringes of sports-fan "normalcy".

Same can be said about Columbus... THIS IS THEIR YEAR TO BE AVERAGE

dancinkozmo
11-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Haha yes true but I was a Zarley Zalapski fan because I liked his name :D

Anyone remember sheldon kannegeiser ?

redir
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Anyone remember sheldon kannegeiser ?

Yes. I know who you are talking about but that was before my time. He once scored a goal from behind his own net.

Seramount
11-16-2012, 02:37 PM
NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA...

you'd have to pay me to watch any of those.

they can all wither and die, don't really care.

Brucer
11-16-2012, 03:22 PM
For 85 years, until 2004, NHL teams competed every year for the Stanley Cup. The only reason they didn't compete in 1919 was because of a Spanish flu epidemic that killed one player and laid out a few others for weeks. Now the boneheads who run the league, and the dimwits who represent the players, seem to be suffering from greed-induced cerebral influenza. By the time they get over it, no one will care if the NHL even exists.

SuperColnago
11-16-2012, 03:23 PM
Go Habs Go:banana:

Brucer
11-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Habs fans never die.

learningtoride
11-16-2012, 03:26 PM

rice rocket
11-16-2012, 03:38 PM
From Oct-Apr my aggression is non existant because I get it out during the games lol- I miss my Henrik and my Rangers very very badly. Being without my hockey is like our forum without Lance as an occassional (very) topic :p

Henrik and the Rangers? Henrik is the Rangers.

witcombusa
11-16-2012, 03:51 PM
NHL, NFL, NBA, MLB, PGA...

you'd have to pay me to watch any of those.

they can all wither and die, don't really care.

Kinda how I feel about pro cycling

witcombusa
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
Go Habs Go:banana:

How are you Quebeckers doing up there with all this?

dancinkozmo
11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
How are you Quebeckers doing up there with all this?

I think they'll be ok , so long as they have adequate supplies of beer and poutine

johnniecakes
11-16-2012, 09:10 PM
The longer the lockout the less I care. I can go to a ECHL game for $15 and 10 minute drive

d_douglas
11-18-2012, 10:57 PM
Kinda how I feel about pro cycling

Like pro cycling, I would be happy to see the hockey season go down the toilet. It is what is needed to kickstart both sports to recover from what I imagine is a low point in their respective histories.

Though I grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada's heartland and hotbed for pro players, I never played and never liked hockey. It is a pretty cool sport that requires great skill, but it has gone so far downhill that it is pretty much WWF on ice. When was the last time a game passed without a single punch being thrown? It is demanded by fans, so players and owners give in - and it has ruined the sport.

Cycling is a joke now. I think it is beautiful to watch, but knowing that virtually everyone is cheating just makes me depressed. Why? I live in Ryder Hjesdal's home town and I want to believe, but I just can't do it.

btl68
11-19-2012, 12:01 AM
They lost a whole season in the mid-00's, so it looks as if they learn no lessons...

witcombusa
11-19-2012, 04:47 AM
[QUOTE=d_douglas;1243900]Like pro cycling, I would be happy to see the hockey season go down the toilet. It is what is needed to kickstart both sports to recover from what I imagine is a low point in their respective histories.

Though I grew up in Saskatchewan, Canada's heartland and hotbed for pro players, I never played and never liked hockey. It is a pretty cool sport that requires great skill, but it has gone so far downhill that it is pretty much WWF on ice. When was the last time a game passed without a single punch being thrown? It is demanded by fans, so players and owners give in - and it has ruined the sport.

QUOTE]

Happens all the time, in the "second" season, a.k.a. Playoffs. It's called self policing. Perhaps if you had played you'd better understand. It's NOT like it was in the 80's and before.
Disagree with you about the sport but that's what makes the world go 'round...

Ray
11-19-2012, 06:43 AM
I'm not a hockey fan, so I don't much care, but if I was, I'd care a LOT. If baseball or basketball has a strike or lockout, I really bum out on it.

Football is another story. I grew up playing it through high school and I'm a lifelong addict, but its an addiction I've come to hate and despise and wish I could kick it. I'd like it to cease to be - I think the NFL should no longer exist. But as long as its there, I can't seem to keep myself from watching it. Those guys are just too damn big, strong, and fast to be allowed to damn near kill each other the way they're doing and its true even in the upper echelon of the college game now too. And given what we now know about head injuries that we didn't up until the last several years, I just don't think there's any justification for the sport, for bringing kids up to want to play in high school and beyond. I'd be more than OK with an NFL strike that essentially killed the game. I don't see it happening in my lifetime, but I'd like to see it.

Baseball and basketball, though - don't eff with those, those are the lifeblood of me being a sports fan at all anymore...

-Ray

jmagruder10
11-20-2012, 08:08 PM
I just went and watched my first CHL Hockey game last Saturday . The Missouri Mavericks. Central Hockey league is a minor league. I enjoyed it as much as a NHL game.

johnniecakes
11-20-2012, 08:22 PM
Not any more

jeduardo
11-20-2012, 08:42 PM
I agree, we have the Hartford Whale (AHL) here and for under $24 I can tip-back a lager and watch a damn entertaining game. SCREW YOU BETTMAN & the slew of jackwagon, semi-conscious automaton owners. You are arrogant SOBS and I'll just spend my "puck-cash" elsewhere

I just went and watched my first CHL Hockey game last Saturday . The Missouri Mavericks. Central Hockey league is a minor league. I enjoyed it as much as a NHL game.

witcombusa
11-21-2012, 04:31 AM
I agree, we have the Hartford Whale (AHL) here and for under $24 I can tip-back a lager and watch a damn entertaining game. SCREW YOU BETTMAN & the slew of jackwagon, semi-conscious automaton owners. You are arrogant SOBS and I'll just spend my "puck-cash" elsewhere

The problem with the Whale is that they are the NYR farm team.....enough said.

At least they used to play the Hamilton Bulldogs @ home once a year, so I'd go to watch them, but they are no longer on the schedule :confused:

oldpotatoe
11-21-2012, 08:11 AM
What's an NHL?

(oooooh, I'm gonna get flamed for that one!)

What the hell is icing???

onekgguy
11-21-2012, 08:16 AM
My neighbor cares...he's a ref :-(

Kevin g

witcombusa
11-21-2012, 08:40 AM
What the hell is icing???

It's the stuff on top... :banana: