PDA

View Full Version : another Tuna sandwich question

shinomaster
10-18-2005, 01:32 PM
So it's lunch time and I want to make a lovely sandwich, and for quite a while I have had a can or Trader Joe's tuna in my cupboard. I just don't know if it's a year or two old...How long does tuna keep in a can? I want to eat lunch but I don't want to kill myself either.

Ray
10-18-2005, 01:44 PM
Depends, if you spend $8,000 for that can of tuna, it should last a while. Or at least taste really really good. Yer typical $0.79 can o' tuna should still be good for a year, but probably not as long as the really pricey stuff. Trader Joe's should be good for quite a while :)

-Ray

bluesea
10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
So it's lunch time and I want to make a lovely sandwich, and for quite a while I have had a can or Trader Joe's tuna in my cupboard. I just don't know if it's a year or two old...How long does tuna keep in a can? I want to eat lunch but I don't want to kill myself either.

Conneisseurs of canned sardines age the cans for years. 2 or 3 years should be no probs.

shinomaster
10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
Conneisseurs of canned sardines age the cans for years. 2 or 3 years should be no probs.

Really??? Are there conneisseurs of canned sardines??? Wow..
The best sardine I ever ate was huge, spit open and grilled at Olives' in Boston...What a great restaurant.

Kevan
10-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Test it out on the cat first.

If the can is in good order and hasn't been brewing in a hot storage area for this long while, this guy is guessing you'll be just fine (If you'll please sign the attached contract please.).

Now how old is the mayo?

William
10-18-2005, 02:11 PM
I just don't know if it's a year or two old...How long does tuna keep in a can? I want to eat lunch but I don't want to kill myself either.

Hold it your hands and push on the top and bottom of the can with your fingers. If you can make the lid/bottom of the can "pop"....throw it out!! I learned that the (...three day blowing chunks and other things coming out the other side not able to eat anything even water....) hard way. :crap:

William

jimh
10-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Forget about it. Throw the can out. Go out to lunch and get a tuna sandiwch. :beer:

CNY rider
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
Isn't the stem on that can a little short?

Kevan
10-18-2005, 02:45 PM
of when I consumed a Power Gel this summer that was due to expire, circa 1997. Somehow this one packet bounced around in my cycling supply area without being squeezed earlier and lucky me, I got to chaw strawberry-vanilla tar. The stomach got more exercise than the legs that day.

You'll be glad to know I've since taken inventory and have switched to a more reliable FIFO system.

shinomaster
10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
well, I opened tha can...It still smelled good so I mixed it with mayo, fresh lemon, tarragon, onion, black pepper and cayanne and sea salt. Smeared it on the best ciabata roll in town, added romain, and havarti. Yum. Grated carrot, and almonds are good if you have it.
I'll let you know if I puke on my bike ride..

bcm119
10-18-2005, 03:12 PM
I imagine that if you wash it down with an Old Rasputin, you'll be fine. And don't forget to take the empty can out back and shoot it with your pellet gun.

Jeff N.
10-18-2005, 03:14 PM
If it's no good, and you eat it, first you'll get tremors lasting 2-3minutes. Then cold sweats. Then, a grand mal seizure....then coma, and then..... death. Just depends on how hungry you are, if you wanna take the chance. Jeff n.

shinomaster
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I imagine that if you wash it down with an Old Rasputin, you'll be fine. And don't forget to take the empty can out back and shoot it with your pellet gun.

Dude...I wore out my BB gun in high schooll...both of em.. H aha ha hah a

Ozz
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
Skip the mayo.

Pick up a jar of the the Trader Joe's sun dried tomatoes in olive oil. Take about 2 tbs of the tomatoes, don't drain the oil, chop them up and mix with the tuna. Add some capers or tarrgon if you like...basil is good too, but everyone uses basil.

toast the bread.

yummy and better for you.

shinomaster
10-21-2005, 01:10 AM
I'm not dead yet.

Serpico
10-21-2005, 01:41 AM
try the pouches, I've been a convert for awhile (not interested in the flavored ones though)

warning though--once you try you can't go back to the can

shinomaster
10-21-2005, 01:55 AM
try the pouches, I've been a convert for awhile (not interested in the flavored ones though)

warning though--once you try you can't go back to the can

YOU mean like a cliff shot? Never seen tuna shots before...yuk..