PDA

View Full Version : Learn me on long reach brakes

rosss
11-14-2012, 09:08 AM
need a pair of long reach brakes to accommodate fenders for an upcoming build

never had a pair or know anyone who has

whats considered good?
any lightweight long reach brakes out there?

mister
11-14-2012, 09:30 AM
calipers?
http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f2/shimano-br-600-vs-shimano-br-650-a-12237.html

i'm happy with shimano r600 on my bike. but i haven't run anything larger than a 25-28mm tire.
had to bend a 43mm honjo a bit to get it to fit under it well...

Cat3roadracer
11-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Check out Paul Racer. I'm setting up a bike with them, they have tons of clearance and look cool.

rosss
11-14-2012, 09:33 AM
yes calipers
and thanks for the link

keevon
11-14-2012, 09:43 AM
I have experience with long reach centerpulls and single pivots (but not any of the aforementioned dual pivots).

The Gran Compe 610 centerpulls are great. Slightly longer reach - these go to 62mm. Power and modulation are excellent. Only downside is that the pads wear at an angle... I think this is common for centerpulls.

Older Dia Compe single pivots are great too. Look for the NGC-500 or RGC-500 models. Plenty of stopping power with salmon pads in a lightweight package.

EricEstlund
11-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Just to make sure all the boxes are checked- is your frame and fork designed for longer reach brakes?

LegendRider
11-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I'm drifting off-topic here, but I have a set of standard reach Ultegra brakes that I want to give to a friend. It turns out his frame is designed for long-reach and they won't fit. However, I've seen some custom-made offset brake pad holders. Anyone know where to get them?

BobbyJones
11-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Shimano BR600's, SKS P45 Fenders and Vittoria Randonneur 32c Tires.

Details here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=81519&referrerid=26480

Ken Robb
11-14-2012, 10:10 AM
Just to make sure all the boxes are checked- is your frame and fork designed for longer reach brakes?

Just what I was wondering.

rosss
11-14-2012, 10:13 AM

its going to be a fendered road bike, so fork will be your standard single mount caliper, not paul racer style
but yes long reach will be part of the equation

rosss
11-14-2012, 10:16 AM
well I guess I should say a caliper that goes around fenders will be in mind

Doug Fattic
11-14-2012, 10:16 AM
When you say "build" are you referring to having a new frame made that will accommodate long reach brakes? Or were you wanting to put long reach brakes on your present frame? Today's standard brake reach is 39mm to 49mm (or 40-50 if they are Campy's). They were often referred to as "short" reach brakes. A modern performance frame has its fork length and rear brake bridge height at that mm range above the center of a rim (when the wheel is in the dropouts). Older side pull brakes - like the original Campys - had 47 to 57mms of reach. They used to be called "standard" reach. Now because the standard has become short reach they are sometimes referred to as "long" reach. Centerpull brakes in the past had even more reach. So if you are building up a frame you already have, we need to know how many mms the brake holes are above the rim. If you are having a new frame built, then we need to know what tires and fenders you are going to use.

mister
11-14-2012, 10:47 AM
sounds like he's having a frame built
in that case the builder should be able to advise on what will work...and make it all work...

keevon
11-14-2012, 10:58 AM
I'm drifting off-topic here, but I have a set of standard reach Ultegra brakes that I want to give to a friend. It turns out his frame is designed for long-reach and they won't fit. However, I've seen some custom-made offset brake pad holders. Anyone know where to get them?
I've researched this. There are several possible sources:

1) BDop Binders: http://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Binders.ASP#OFFSETHOLDERS This is the only place I know of where you can order offset pad holders. Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment.

2) Vuelta (Gigantex?) had a carbon wheelset with lowered brake tracks a couple of years back. They shipped with "Equinox" lowered pad holders, which were available on eBay for a while.

3) Deda announced a carbon wheelset with lowered brake tracks at Eurobike, that will ship with lowered pad holders too. No word on if they'll be available separately...

shovelhd
11-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Does anybody make a drop bolt anymore?

LegendRider
11-14-2012, 11:17 AM
Thanks. I've traded emails with the BDOp Cycling folks. There are out-of-stock and currently don't have a supplier. However, they are working on having some manufactured, but it will likely be 2013 when and if they become available.

I've researched this. There are several possible sources:

1) BDop Binders: http://www.bdopcycling.com/BDop%20Binders.ASP#OFFSETHOLDERS This is the only place I know of where you can order offset pad holders. Unfortunately, they're out of stock at the moment.

2) Vuelta (Gigantex?) had a carbon wheelset with lowered brake tracks a couple of years back. They shipped with "Equinox" lowered pad holders, which were available on eBay for a while.

3) Deda announced a carbon wheelset with lowered brake tracks at Eurobike, that will ship with lowered pad holders too. No word on if they'll be available separately...

rosss
11-14-2012, 12:16 PM
showing my inexperience on the matter here, i assumed you just needed a long reach brake to work with fenders, didnt know the brake bridge needed to be adjusted

jds108
11-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Thanks. I've traded emails with the BDOp Cycling folks. There are out-of-stock and currently don't have a supplier. However, they are working on having some manufactured, but it will likely be 2013 when and if they become available.

The company "pro-lite" makes the same kind of dropped-shoe, but I don't know if there is a reseller that carries them. I asked pro-lite about this a couple of years ago and back then Chain Reaction in the UK carried them. But it looks like they no longer sell those shoes.

keevon
11-14-2012, 01:07 PM
showing my inexperience on the matter here, i assumed you just needed a long reach brake to work with fenders, didnt know the brake bridge needed to be adjusted

Depends on what size tires you want to use. I've found that 23mm tires and fenders can fit under short reach (39-49mm) calipers just fine - provided the brake pads are positioned near the bottom of the slot. Obviously this is determined by the frame and fork.

If you want to use 28mm tires (or bigger) and fenders, you'll need long reach (47-57mm) calipers. Again, your frame and fork have to be designed to take the long reach brakes.

It all comes down to how much space you have between the tire and the fork, brake bridge, and chainstays. If you're getting a frame built, it might be a good idea to maximize the amount of space in these locations to permit the use of bigger tires and/or fenders.

rosss
11-14-2012, 01:14 PM
going to be using 28cc tires mainly, but i want to be able to race the bike on weekends and throw 23cc's on,

mister
11-14-2012, 01:39 PM
are you having a frame built or trying to fit brakes to an already built frame?

basically the distance from the center of the brake bolt hole to the center of the axle has to be longer to run long reach brakes
this allows the brake pad to hit the rim
just swapping on long reach brakes...you'll have to move the pad way up in the slot basically netting to same clearance as with a short reach brake

you can still run a 23mm tire with long reach brakes, you'll just have alot of space between the fork crown and the tire...that space can be filled up with larger diameter tires, or a fender or both...