PDA

View Full Version : rims - who is the ideal candidate for these?

AngryScientist
11-14-2012, 06:39 AM
there are a few deep(er) profile aluminum rims on the market lately, H + SON, among others. they are relatively heavy, but have more of an aero profile. I'm curious - when would you choose to use a wheel with a rim like this over something quite a bit lighter?

http://hplusson.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_full/public/sl42_full2.jpg

cfox
11-14-2012, 06:44 AM
They're fixie hipster wheels. Those H+Son deep rims seem to be the rim of choice for those guys. I would never consider alu (for a deep rim) over a carbon rim for a road bike.

ultraman6970
11-14-2012, 06:50 AM
H-son has something like that big in chromed... they look sick in fix gears.

jr59
11-14-2012, 06:51 AM
I ride deep Vs, they are bad enough!

rugbysecondrow
11-14-2012, 06:58 AM
there are a few deep(er) profile aluminum rims on the market lately, H + SON, among others. they are relatively heavy, but have more of an aero profile. I'm curious - when would you choose to use a wheel with a rim like this over something quite a bit lighter?

http://hplusson.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_full/public/sl42_full2.jpg

If memory serves me right, aren't you about 135 pounds? At that weight, do you really have to sacrifice weight or aero to get a rim/wheel you want?

For myself and Jr (both bigger guys), I suspect strength is always a consideration over something lighter.

keevon
11-14-2012, 07:34 AM
I am the ideal candidate, which is why I use them. :)

I bought them with the intention of using them for crit racing and time trials. True, carbon rims are lighter and more aero. But they're also expensive and fragile. I can't afford carbon and I need my stuff to last.

The rims pictured above (H+Son SL42) are great. They built up very well and have stayed true and round. I laced them 20 radial front, 24 2-cross rear with fairly light hubs. Couldn't tell you the wheelset weight, but I honestly don't notice a "weight penalty". For reference, I'm 6'-5" 190 pounds.

The ride is nice and solid. The front gets batted around in crosswinds a bit, but nothing scary. I doubt there's much of a measurable aero advantage, but they certainly feel faster. I'll happily take the placebo effect!

Obviously these aren't for everybody. But I applaud the small selection of 40mm+ aluminum rims that have emerged over the last few years. They're not just for fashion junkies...

William
11-14-2012, 07:35 AM
For myself and Jr (both bigger guys), I suspect strength is always a consideration over something lighter.

"Light weight" is not in a Clydesdale's vocabulary.

William

jr59
11-14-2012, 07:54 AM

William

What are you 2 guys trying to say????:rolleyes:

William
11-14-2012, 08:02 AM
What are you 2 guys trying to say????:rolleyes:

http://www.millenniumfalcon.com/phpbb/images/smiles/mf_emoticon_buttertroll.gif Nothing. http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs28/f/2008/102/d/8/fat_emoticon_by_madoguy.gif

;););):D
William

boxerboxer
11-14-2012, 08:14 AM
I might be wrong but I thought a deeper rim can provide more stiffness.

Charles M
11-14-2012, 08:19 AM

William

It's in everyone's vocabulary... as is denial :banana:

Nooch
11-14-2012, 08:23 AM
I am the ideal candidate, which is why I use them. :)

I bought them with the intention of using them for crit racing and time trials. True, carbon rims are lighter and more aero. But they're also expensive and fragile. I can't afford carbon and I need my stuff to last.

The rims pictured above (H+Son SL42) are great. They built up very well and have stayed true and round. I laced them 20 radial front, 24 2-cross rear with fairly light hubs. Couldn't tell you the wheelset weight, but I honestly don't notice a "weight penalty". For reference, I'm 6'-5" 190 pounds.

The ride is nice and solid. The front gets batted around in crosswinds a bit, but nothing scary. I doubt there's much of a measurable aero advantage, but they certainly feel faster. I'll happily take the placebo effect!

Obviously these aren't for everybody. But I applaud the small selection of 40mm+ aluminum rims that have emerged over the last few years. They're not just for fashion junkies...

I definately looked at them when I was thinking of building something up for my TT bike.. I'm with ya, I can't afford carbon (not even the taiwanese ebay stuff, really) and figured once you get em moving, they should stay moving..

thinking about them again, now, after building up the archetypes and being pretty impressed with the quality..

AgilisMerlin
11-14-2012, 08:28 AM
bombproof.

painted or anodized, ok

but require a machined sidewall. just me

go for it

Nooch
11-14-2012, 08:32 AM
bombproof.

painted or anodized, ok

but require a machined sidewall. just me

go for it

the sl42 has the machined sidewall -- the formation face is their 'fixie' version of it, with no msw.

AgilisMerlin
11-14-2012, 08:52 AM
deep dish photo's make me feel warm and fuzzy :banana:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-eaA1aM0rnvs/Tk4_vX-ywqI/AAAAAAAABPo/aKkzSovXKjk/s1600/photo.JPG

zap
11-14-2012, 09:23 AM
I'm curious - when would you choose to use a wheel with a rim like this over something quite a bit lighter?

The original (not gen 2 with 12 spokes) Campy Shamals had deep al rims. The rims were heavy at around 600g (700) but the wheels were fast, just not going up longer steep climbs.

christian
11-14-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm curious - when would you choose to use a wheel with a rim like this over something quite a bit lighter?Never.

Gummee
11-14-2012, 10:38 AM
The original (not gen 2 with 12 spokes) Campy Shamals had deep al rims. The rims were heavy at around 600g (700) but the wheels were fast, just not going up longer steep climbs.

Still some of the fastest wheels I've ridden. ...once you got em up to speed! Certainly good for circuit races more so than crits.

M

oldpotatoe
11-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Never.

Not never. When the 24H wheelouttaabox, rim went south, manufacturer wouldn't warranty it(imagine that) but needed a wheel. Deep 24h rim, new spokes, new wheel, same hub..w/o paying a zillion$, and having a reliable wheel.

If the rim was uber light, for that deep, it wouldn't have been reliable with 24 spokes for the /1 offa ton, rider.

Jaq
11-14-2012, 11:16 AM

Um... when the cost of deep-V carbons is ~10 times that of deep-V alloys.

christian
11-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Not never. When the 24H wheelouttaabox, rim went south, manufacturer wouldn't warranty it(imagine that) but needed a wheel. Deep 24h rim, new spokes, new wheel, same hub..w/o paying a zillion$, and having a reliable wheel.

If the rim was uber light, for that deep, it wouldn't have been reliable with 24 spokes for the /1 offa ton, rider.

He asked, "when would you choose to use a wheel with a rim like this over something quite a bit lighter?" and I answered. I wouldn't. Because, well, I wouldn't ride the box wheel to cause the initial problem. I don't mind that the product exists, but it doesn't solve any problem for me. Like carbon clinchers.

Jaq
11-14-2012, 11:40 AM
Are composite rims really that much lighter? A trip to the Wheelbuilder weight calculator (http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weight-calculator.html) shows that a Reynolds Thirty-two carbon clincher, Chris King hub, 20 bladed aero spokes & alloy nipples, comes in at about 630 grams.

A Velocity A-23, with the same hub, same spokes - but 8 more (for a 28-spoke wheel) - comes in at 680 grams. 50 grams more.

I'm sure there are better/lighter carbons that would push the difference to 100 grams per wheel (or more), but I don't know that the weight gain is so significant that it's worth the expense & trouble unless you're amongst the 1% of the 1% of pro riders. Or have enough money to simply want the latest/lightest/coolest.

Nooch
11-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Are composite rims really that much lighter? A trip to the Wheelbuilder weight calculator (http://www.wheelbuilder.com/wheel-weight-calculator.html) shows that a Reynolds Thirty-two carbon clincher, Chris King hub, 20 bladed aero spokes & alloy nipples, comes in at about 630 grams.

A Velocity A-23, with the same hub, same spokes - but 8 more (for a 28-spoke wheel) - comes in at 680 grams. 50 grams more.

I'm sure there are better/lighter carbons that would push the difference to 100 grams per wheel (or more), but I don't know that the weight gain is so significant that it's worth the expense & trouble unless you're amongst the 1% of the 1% of pro riders. Or have enough money to simply want the latest/lightest/coolest.

Yeah, but carbon rims are typically lighter than their aluminum counterparts, especially at this depth -- this rim alone is about 650 grams.

brando
11-15-2012, 12:39 AM
They're heavy but also heavy duty. Racer stuff gets messed up riding busted streets, potholes, curbs, stairs...

illuminaught
11-15-2012, 09:27 AM
I just built a pair of the SL42 to be the rugged training wheel complement to my similarly profiled carbon tubies (race day). They weigh 1817g with tape - I think the few extra grams are a boon for training too...

Nooch
11-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I just built a pair of the SL42 to be the rugged training wheel complement to my similarly profiled carbon tubies (race day). They weigh 1817g with tape - I think the few extra grams are a boon for training too...

what hubs/spokes are you running with those?

illuminaught
12-15-2012, 10:12 AM
what hubs/spokes are you running with those?

I got a BHS front hub - ritchey wcs (dtswiss 240s) rear hub. The spokes are wheelsmith double butted with brass nipples 24h (2x rear, 1x front).
Pm me if you want more specifics. I've been using them a lot as a build my base an they are beastly. I was concerned the 24h front an rear would suffer on the opposite-of-smooth roads in the East Bay (near SF)... I weigh 155 an I'm training with a 15lb pack right now.

Chance
12-15-2012, 11:32 AM
Never.

+1

And in my case weight, stiffness, and or strength has nothing to do with it. Just don't like rims that deep.