PDA

View Full Version : Slipping handlebar - could grease between the stem and bar be the problem?

Llewellyn
11-13-2012, 09:24 PM
When I re-assembled my bike recently I put a thin layer of grease between the steel stem and aluminium handlebar to prevent any reaction between the different metals. But ever since then the handlebar has gradually slipped a couple of times, requiring me to loosen the bolt, adjust the bars and re-tighten (it seems to need to be very tight). The stem only uses a single bolt so I'm assuming that this needs a bit more torque compared to a stem that uses 4 bolts.

I have some Tacx carbon paste which can be used on metal (according to the directions on the tube). Would it be better to use this paste instead of grease or should I leave out any type of grease or paste altogether?

pdmtong
11-13-2012, 10:42 PM
use the paste. that's what it is designed for. do not use grease for stem/bar.

i had a al bar slip a bit with a thomson X2....put the paste on. have ridden it plus some very lumpy CX races - no issues.

Llewellyn
11-13-2012, 10:47 PM
use the paste. that's what it is designed for. do not use grease for stem/bar.

i had a al bar slip a bit with a thomson X2....put the paste on. have ridden it plus some very lumpy CX races - no issues.

Cheers for that

fogrider
11-14-2012, 01:00 AM
I have always used a small piece of sandpaper and the grip has always been rock solid.

welcomdmat
11-14-2012, 07:10 PM
I really like the tacx carbon stuff for any stem-bar or seatpost application. I have never run into any problems.

I have had trouble with X2s also. Tacx paste cleaned it right up.

johnniecakes
11-14-2012, 07:14 PM
I use the paste on stems and seat pins, I reapply every 6 months or so.

dancinkozmo
11-14-2012, 08:03 PM
Sorry...dumb question...what specifically is "the paste" ??

Steve in SLO
11-14-2012, 08:13 PM
It sounds like you are dealing with a quill stem (only 1 bolt). If so, perhaps the quill is designed for a larger diameter bar than you have. There are some odd diameter bars out there.
http://sheldonbrown.com/cribsheet-handlebars.html
If the diameter of the bar is such that 'the paste' will not stop rotation, then some very fine sandpaper can be used as a friction shim, as fogrider suggested.

thegunner
11-14-2012, 08:27 PM

i thought they were referring to carbon paste, but the talk of quill stems makes that seem unlikely

Llewellyn
11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
"The paste" is some Tacx carbon paste I bought to use for the carbon seatpost I have for my bike.

The stem that has been referred to is not a quill stem but a custom threadless stem that was made for me but it only uses one bolt underneath to tighten it up against the handlebars.

It sounds like using the Tacx paste is the way to go. Thanks for all the replies

pdmtong
11-15-2012, 12:17 AM
note you do not need to smear it everwhere and coat the entirety of the contact area. i woul just run four small beads at 12-3-5-9 o'clock and then smear...thats it.

dlui
11-15-2012, 12:47 AM
i thought they were referring to carbon paste, but the talk of quill stems makes that seem unlikely

the paste contains grease with micro-abrasive, (glass beads?), to prevent movement between the parts

jvp
11-15-2012, 05:26 AM
Another advantage of using paste is you don't have to torque the bolt(s) as much to hold the part(s).

dancinkozmo
11-15-2012, 05:32 AM
"The paste" is some Tacx carbon paste I bought to use for the carbon seatpost I have for my bike.

The stem that has been referred to is not a quill stem but a custom threadless stem that was made for me but it only uses one bolt underneath to tighten it up against the handlebars.

It sounds like using the Tacx paste is the way to go. Thanks for all the replies

Thanks

Hawker
11-15-2012, 08:38 AM

Never ask this in public. Expect a call from "the team doctor".