c-record
11-13-2012, 07:34 PM
18" Surly Moonlander. Fatbike newbie. That is all. :banana:

AngryScientist
11-13-2012, 07:38 PM
lets see some pics - and that bike better not be clean...:p

Fishbike
11-13-2012, 07:40 PM
Pictures? Ride report? Planned excursions? Expectations of freezing your butt in miserable weather? No, that is not all.:banana:

Cat3roadracer
11-13-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm seeing them everywhere. Pictures please. The look to be quite cool.

spiderman
11-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Hope you ride it with as big a smile
On your face...as I have right now
Knowing what a blast you'll have!
...Iowa Great Lakes riding in your future?!?
I think if this as very close to the heart
Of the wide Wild West!

Bruce K
11-13-2012, 08:20 PM
They look like they would be a ton of fun.

2 guy from our local group have them and ride them everywhere - woods, beaches, mud, sand, and they are just waiting for snow.

BK

93legendti
11-13-2012, 08:33 PM
I talked to QBP about one today....no Mukluks, but maybe a Pugsley...

JAGI410
11-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Atta boy. Fatbikes rule. I love my Pugsley, so much damn fun!

Llewellyn
11-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Just had a look at the website. Wouldn't the tyres be a complete b***h to change (serious question)?

spiderman
11-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Just had a look at the website. Wouldn't the tyres be a complete b***h to change (serious question)?

A bit easier if the tire sidewalls are squeezed to center...

A1CKot
11-13-2012, 11:09 PM
Nice! I'm in the market for a fat bike. Road a Mukluk around town and was pleasantly surprised. Would love to hear your initial thought.

charliedid
11-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Better than a fat A$$...have fun

srice
11-14-2012, 08:40 AM
I talked to QBP about one today....no Mukluks, but maybe a Pugsley...

If you are serious about getting a Mukluk - PM me - I know where some are in stock depending on which model and size you are looking for.

Nooch
11-14-2012, 08:43 AM
I love the look of the fatbikes, love the idea of em, but just don't know if I'd love riding one, and don't necessarily know if it'd do anything for me..

though snowy commutes could be a lot of fun, i suppose..

srice
11-14-2012, 08:44 AM
Fat bikes rock! I just got cleared by the doc to get back on the road after having a plate installed - first bike I grabbed was my Pug. The Sachs, Speedvagen and Strong all stayed on the wall while I rode around like an idiot on the Pug. There isn't a bike which will put a smile on your face faster than a fat bike! Go get some experience this winter and sign up for the Arrowhead next year - best fun you can have in northern Minnesota at the end of January.

FierteTi52
11-14-2012, 09:01 AM
If you are considering a fat bike, look at 9 zero 7 bikes. They do a 170mm rear triangle elminating many of the drivetrain rubbing problems with the 135mm spaced Pugsley.
http://fatbikes.com/

srice
11-14-2012, 09:19 AM
If you are considering a fat bike, look at 9 zero 7 bikes. They do a 170mm rear triangle elminating many of the drivetrain rubbing problems with the 135mm spaced Pugsley.

Salsa, Fat Back and 9 zero 7 all use the 170mm rear end to get away from some of the weirdness of the 135mm offset rear wheel of the Pug.

9 zero 7 also makes offset frames - easy to upgrade from your current Pug - just buy a new frame and seat post and move the rest of your stuff over.

JAGI410
11-14-2012, 09:24 AM
The 135mm offset isn't goofy when you're on the bike. It's worth riding a Pugsley/Moonlander in comparison to Mukluks/907's. The Surly bikes have a more traditional MTB geometry, whereas the others are a bit more upright. The new Orange color on the Muk is gorgeous, looks different in person as it has a metallic sheen to it that pics can't pick up.

(Shameless plug for the upper Midwest people: Muks and Pugs are in stock at Paramount Sports in Fargo)

JAGI410
11-14-2012, 09:28 AM

There are no rubbing problems with any of the 135mm frames (I even ran the Big Fat Larry 4.7's on my Pugsley, no issues). The 170mm Mukluks had problems last year that required modification. This year that has been resolved with a new crankset.

FierteTi52
11-14-2012, 01:44 PM
The 135mm offset isn't goofy when you're on the bike. It's worth riding a Pugsley/Moonlander in comparison to Mukluks/907's. The Surly bikes have a more traditional MTB geometry, whereas the others are a bit more upright. The new Orange color on the Muk is gorgeous, looks different in person as it has a metallic sheen to it that pics can't pick up.

(Shameless plug for the upper Midwest people: Muks and Pugs are in stock at Paramount Sports in Fargo)

Interesting info. I actually heard that the 907's ride like a cross country mountain bike.

srice
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
There are no rubbing problems with any of the 135mm frames (I even ran the Big Fat Larry 4.7's on my Pugsley, no issues). The 170mm Mukluks had problems last year that required modification. This year that has been resolved with a new crankset.

Yes, I was happy when I added a BFL to the rear of my Pug with no chain rub. I even upped the size when I added Rolling Darryl rims. I did add a MWOD crankset at the same time though. The MWOD is great - when I am in the small ring in front and the large cog in the back, my chain is over the chainstay when it passes the tire - so if I can squeeze a tire/rim combo into the frame, I won't have chain rub.

gavingould
11-14-2012, 05:33 PM
fat bikes are really really really fun to ride when it's crappy out. shop i sometimes work at built one up last winter as the lunch-getter and demo. took it out for a couple hours when we had some good snow, real hoot.

c-record
11-21-2012, 09:30 AM
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/BikeJunkie/Bike%20Stuff/20121120_164637-1.jpg

Ok, that's not all. I just got my first real ride-the first ride was in a muddy field behind my house and didn't count. This ride is in Phoenix. Here for the weekend and rode Desert Classic at South Mountain.

It's a blast! I was having a great time and flew by a couple of full-sus 29ers. People love to talk about the bike and ask questions. Just makes you smile while riding it.

David Kirk
11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
http://i643.photobucket.com/albums/uu160/BikeJunkie/Bike%20Stuff/20121120_164637-1.jpg

Ok, that's not all. I just got my first real ride-the first ride was in a muddy field behind my house and didn't count. This ride is in Phoenix. Here for the weekend and rode Desert Classic at South Mountain.

It's a blast! I was having a great time and flew by a couple of full-sus 29ers. People love to talk about the bike and ask questions. Just makes you smile while riding it.

That looks like a lot of fun. How versatile do you feel it is? In other words is it best on snow and sand or is it still fun and appropriate on hard packed dirt trails?

dave

c-record
11-21-2012, 10:53 AM
Dave,

Haven't really ridden one on hardpack yet. They are a blast in the snow and just open up the riding that becomes possible in the winter. I'd guess it would be really slow and such on hardpack.

I'll be riding it on the beach tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes! :banana:

K

c-record
11-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Based on my experience riding a buff and sandy trail in Phoenix I think a bike like the new Surly Krampus may be amazingly fast. I did order one and am really looking forward to that! :)

witcombusa
11-21-2012, 12:17 PM
There was a guy that rode the LONG D2R2 this year on a FAT bike....:eek: