View Full Version : Doof vs. Laws of Physics

Dr. Doofus
10-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Doof sees SUV about 25 feet in front in the opposing lane

Doof going 25 mph

Doof sees SUV start to make left hand turn, without signaling

Doof sees this is going to get interesting

Doof has four choices:

A) Hard right, jump the ditch while popping a wheelie and tear up the cotton field like Steve McQueen in The Great Escape

B) Hard right, slam into the right side of the SUV with Doof's left side

C) Zig hard left, then try to pull off the hard off-camber zag right (road sloped for drainage) over wavy-gravy chip seal.

D) Hard zig left, then try A on the other side of the road.

Doof goes with C

Doof doesn't pull off the hard off-camber zag over the wavy-gravy chip seal. Doof hits pavement like that Sanders cat hit Denver's tight end. Pavement wins.

Doof's Sunday Discoveries:

1) the Hospital really treats you nicely when they're afriad you're going to sue them.

See, they took X-Rays, then the NP sends the Doof home saying "You're fine, nothing broken"

The NP calls Doof at home an hour later.

"Uh, the radiologist looked at your X-Rays, and...uh...you need to come back."

Man, they treated Doof like he was God *and* Eddy Merckx when he came back

2) Broken ribs are not that bad.

3) A Pneumothorax (is that one word?) is not that bad, but kind of a ***** nonetheless.

4) The painkillers are fun.

5) The nurse tech last night was a cutie. Go Emily. You're the best.

Oh yeah, the jerk's jersey made it through unscathed, as did the E-Rtichie socks.

JohnS
10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
Glad you're alright (relatively speaking). :)

dirtdigger88
10-17-2005, 04:35 PM
:eek:

hope you are feeling better-

now can we start calling you dado?

Jason

Ozz
10-17-2005, 04:37 PM
bummer.....did the SUV stop to see if you were OK?

93legendti
10-17-2005, 04:38 PM
Ouch. Hope you heal quickly. I bruised my ribs water skiing 8 years ago and that hurt. I can only imagine how broken ribs might feel. I hope you're back on the bike soon.

weisan
10-17-2005, 04:52 PM
DOofUs, how's the bike? :D

Dr. Doofus
10-17-2005, 04:55 PM
DOofUs, how's the bike? :D

lost some bar tape on the left drop

that's it

the hip and ribs took all of it -- no rash on the elbows or knees at all

Too Tall
10-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Elmer Fudd says:
It's SUV season :rolleyes:

Get better.

Redturbo
10-17-2005, 05:03 PM
Dudefus,
Broken ribs REALLY HURT when the pain killer run out. :crap:

turbo

Spicoli
10-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Picked "B" with the broken left arm option. Doesnt that test suk? Feel Better and at least you dont have to play the "Jersey stranger" in the shower for the next eight weeks! I hope you made a mess of the YUTZ's car. It made me feel better knowing I wiped out the right side the soccer mom's car who stuffed me. :rolleyes:

Get Well, Jeff

Dave
10-17-2005, 05:12 PM
Been there myself, just this February. Didn't have any options when a kid pulled a quick right with no warning. I had time to say "Oh $hit!" before the big thump against the side of his car. Still never got a dime from his insurance.

Mine wreck got my helmet, tights, jersey, (scuffed) ergo levers and saddle.

My left arm, wrist and hand took the big jolt.

http://www.fotosrv.com/img/1129586799DSCN0727.JPG

bcm119
10-17-2005, 05:31 PM
Glad you're ok doof. Make the best of it and do what you can to hold your fitness.

Oh and don't forget--with broken ribs laughter is not the best medicine. Have fun with your pills but don't watch any Monty Python.

sc53
10-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Doris? Do you have anything to say by way of comfort and consolation to the Doof? What meal would you be fixing him if you were there?

Bud
10-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Dude get better soon and have some wine pie! It'll fix you right up.

BumbleBeeDave
10-17-2005, 06:12 PM
My condolences! I hope those pain killers they gave you are good, because I had a friend who broke a few ribs winter before last skiing, and he informed me that they do essentially nothing BUT painkillers these days for ribs--not even any tape. They just old him to “breathe shallow and don’t move a lot.” Right. Thanks.

BBDave

Smiley
10-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Get well soon Doof

Fixed
10-17-2005, 06:15 PM
bro glad your not hurt to bad and it's the rest season cheers :beer:

L84dinr
10-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Glad you came thru relatively unscathed. No road rash thats good... Oh, broken ribs thats bad...

Had busted ribs once; Wrap/tape them puppies TIGHT.

Save the drugs for when you feel better and can enjoy them :>)

rtp

shaq-d
10-17-2005, 07:51 PM
B) Hard right, slam into the right side of the SUV with Doof's left side

had the same thing happen last week, at night, in the rain. i had lights aplenty and it was obvious the car driver saw me (stopped and started and stopped, as if gauging if she could go fast enough). i chose to go hard right, slammed the brakes when no chance, slid out, rear wheel slammed in and totalled. i suffered minimum damage though. car driver took responsibility and paid for repair costs to derailleru and rear wheel.....

sheesh to drivers

sd

davep
10-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Get well quick. This is forced recovery.

Ginger
10-17-2005, 09:48 PM
Doof Dear:
No tag with SUVs. It isn't in your contract.
Do you have to teach while on drugs or do you get a day or two off?

Heal fast.

Ginger

Tailwinds
10-18-2005, 12:20 AM
Damn, what is it w/cars vs. bikes these days?!?! :butt:

Sorry to hear you crashed. Don't be afraid of the painkillers -- they are your friends! Feel better soon.

Sandy
10-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Soory about your encounter with the SUV. Mend well, quickly, and completely!

Sandy

Sandy
10-18-2005, 01:29 AM
The driver of the SUV must have been a real goof,
messing with Serotta's forum most beloved Doof.

Maybe next time the driver will be ejected through the SUV's roof,
disappearing beyond some puffy clouds in a welcomed poof.

Simpleton Sandy

Serpico
10-18-2005, 01:44 AM
tough luck, hope you're back on the bike soon

the 'law of physics' tends to be a tough opponent in these situations

William
10-18-2005, 04:56 AM
Dear Dr. Doof,

I was very saddened to hear of your unfortunate accident. But I am heartened that you are going to be fine.

It's good that the Hospital called you back to fix you up properly. If you were a litigious personality type you might have some fine top-O-line frames in your future. :rolleyes:

Ribs, oh the ribs. They are painful. I've had ribs broken in sparring and let me tell you, just wait until your friends discover all the fun contortions they can cause you to get into by making you laugh. :D It won't stop until you are on the floor clutching your midsection, twisted up like a pretzel with tears streaming down your face.....laughing and crying at the same time. :D

And with that fine comforting vision floating in your painkiller induced fog, I will say again, I'm glad you are going to be fine. :beer:

ROCKLOBSTER!!!!

William

soulspinner
10-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Doof, avoid getting a cold-the coughing hurts like a b@#$%^! Heal quickly....

jeffg
10-18-2005, 05:14 AM
if it is SUV season, maybe the trainer is not looking so bad for a bit?

SPOKE
10-18-2005, 06:10 AM
about your accident. i wish you a speedy recovery.

Bruce K
10-18-2005, 06:13 AM
Doof;

Mend fast.

With all the bull riding on OLN, maybe you should check out one of those flack jackets for future SUV encounters. :rolleyes:

BK

BarryG
10-18-2005, 06:49 AM
Damn, what is it w/cars vs. bikes these days?!?! IMHO, there's a definite trend toward more aggressive driving and it gets worse each year. Train (bicycle) wreck waiting to happen. Only logical response is to ride more and more defensively, routinely slowing down when a motor vehicle driver has the slightest possiblity of doing something stupid. Crashing sucks.

Doof, glad you're on the mend.

Kevan
10-18-2005, 07:16 AM
you just didn't come to a stop and unclip. Well, I'm sure the SUV was (un)thinking the same.

Hey Doof, being unwell sucks. Having your season come to a skid sucks too. Maybe you can arrange a settlement that allows you to take a sledge hammer to the SUV. That would be therapy.

Argos
10-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Doof,

First, I am glad you are alright. Crashing sucks. Getting hurt sucks more. Not being able to nail the bastard that caused the problem...... Grrrr.

It is for this reason that if the speed and conditions are right, I choose the soft, energy absorbing properties found in most fenders. Hell, if they're gonna lay me out anyway, I'm gonna be the biggest M*****F***ing bird that ever flew in to their windshield.

The cops get involved, you are automatically not at fault, and they can no longer drive with impunity, They HIT you.

To hell with oncoming-no-signal-no-giving-right-of-way-vehicles, the collar bones and ribs the break, the bikes they mess, and the concussions they give. Concussions, the white flash of release.

Feel better buddy, next time aim for paint.

Tom
10-18-2005, 08:59 AM
Get better quick, man. You're right about the cars. It's getting ridiculous.

RABikes2
10-18-2005, 10:00 AM
Sorry to hear about the accident Doof. Mandatory rest blows. :crap:
Wishing you a full and quick recovery!

RA

Cadence230
10-18-2005, 10:06 AM
Best wishes. I have had a four REALLY close calls in the last two weeks. I know the creeping feeling of hesitation well.

chrisroph
10-18-2005, 10:15 AM
Doof dude, get better soon. Better the ground than a car! Hope those ribs heal quickly, mine took forever and they hurt a lot for a long time.

jdoiv
10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
about your accident dr. doof. take care of those ribs. they can be a real pain. good luck and get well soon...