PDA

View Full Version : Wide rim decision

scottaharper
11-10-2012, 11:48 AM
I am looking to build a new set of wheels around 23mm wide rims, so I can run wider, lower pressure tires. This is important to me, because I am a clydesdale. My problem is that I am having a hard time deciding between the new A23 O/C rim and the Kinlin/bikehubstore 27mm deep, wide rim. Because of the hubs that I already have, I am pretty locked into building a 32 spoke rear wheel in either case. My concern is more about durability than stiffness, since I have not really noticed a significant different in the stiffness of the wheels I have ridden over the years. So, my question boils down to what do you think is going to benefit wheel durability more: offset spokes or a deeper rim?

Thanks for your advice,
Scott

fatallightning
11-10-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't necessarily think there is a corollary between rim depth and durability. In fact, sometimes with the taller extrusions and weight targets, the wall depth gets perilously thin. The extra strength of the OC rim is the way I would go.

dave thompson
11-10-2012, 12:36 PM
The A23 is already known as a sturdy rim. A 32h OC rear will make a great wheelset even better, and stronger.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2012, 12:37 PM
I am looking to build a new set of wheels around 23mm wide rims, so I can run wider, lower pressure tires. This is important to me, because I am a clydesdale. My problem is that I am having a hard time deciding between the new A23 O/C rim and the Kinlin/bikehubstore 27mm deep, wide rim. Because of the hubs that I already have, I am pretty locked into building a 32 spoke rear wheel in either case. My concern is more about durability than stiffness, since I have not really noticed a significant different in the stiffness of the wheels I have ridden over the years. So, my question boils down to what do you think is going to benefit wheel durability more: offset spokes or a deeper rim?

Thanks for your advice,
Scott

Look at this one also-nice rim

AND wide, OC, available now

http://www.velocityusa.com/default.asp?contentID=591

I think a great choice for you, particularly at 32h and 'Clydesdale'.

sc53
11-10-2012, 05:30 PM
The Velocity Dyad is also a wide (24 mm) sturdy rim. I just got a pair of wheels built up on this rim from Ben's Cycles in Milwaukee (15% discount code, free shipping and no build charge--I don't know how they make any money) to use with Bruce Gordon Rock and Road tires for gravel rides. They look outstanding and very sturdy! Velocity has so many choices for wide rims.

eippo1
11-10-2012, 08:59 PM
I do not have the 23mm wide Kinlins, but I do have 2 wheelsets built up with the (19mm wide) 27mm rim and am very surprised with the stiffness even at 24,28 spoke counts. I weigh 175 and would highly recommend Kinlins because they will get even stiffer at the 23mm width.

Honestly at 32 spokes with DT Comp spokes, the build will be plenty stout with either wheel. I know that some clydes on the 250+ side will do a 27mm front and a 30mm rear, but I think that's a bit on the overkill side.

Columbus SLX
11-10-2012, 09:39 PM
For 23mm, one thing you could also look at is the H+Son Archetype rims. I just imported a box of them for myself and two buddies, and I gotta say they are gorgeous and really well made. It's essentially the A23 extrusion profile with a slightly sharper "point". They built well, and came in dead round and true. Also, Tzusing (son) just thickened the rim bed slightly for added durability. Thus they came in at 475g on average instead of the previous 450g.

And +1 to bikehubstore.com. It's a one man show and the owner, Brandon, is fantastic. Best prices I've found for Sapim spokes too.