PDA

View Full Version : Water in rims

Allez!
10-17-2005, 01:27 PM
This weekend was very wet. I rode for several hours in the rain. When I got home I tipped the bike and drained the frame, but still heard a lot of water sloshing around. Turns out it was in the wheelset (Kysrium SSL's). I had to remove tires and tubes to throughly drain. I was at full pressure (120 PSI) on the tubes, so think the mostly likely opening was at the valve stem. This wheelset has a lot of hollow space so the rear wheel in particular took on a significant amount of water. Any suggestions on ways to prevent this, or is this just a fact of life when riding wet? Thanks!

Fixed
10-17-2005, 01:37 PM
Bro I ride a lot in the rain it happens to me all the time it's easy to dry everyting out when you get home takes about 10 min., some dudes have ways to try and seal a wheel up but i.m.h.o. I think it's a waste of time if you ride in the rain all the time water is still goin to get in .cheers :beer:

davids
10-17-2005, 02:02 PM
I ran into this problem last weekend - I heard water sloshing around in the rims, so I deflated the tires, and waited for the water to drain to the bottom of the tires. Then I tried to twist 'em around to pour the water out...

That worked OK, but I found that what really got the water out was pumping the tires up again - As the tube expanded, the remaining water came squirting out the stem hole! At first, I didn't realize what the h3ll was happening, but when I figured out I'd created a mini-gusher, I found myself laughing out loud.

So, my advice? Deflate and re-inflate the tires. That should do it...

BumbleBeeDave
10-17-2005, 02:03 PM
. . . 2001 model Ksyriums and I have the same problem, but there never seems to be a lot of it. I've never had to actually remove the tire and tube to get it out. If I absolutely must, I just deflate, then put the valve stem at the bottom, pull on it and the tire, and stick a paper towel in there to get what dribbles out. I've had some dribble out when I do get around to changing the tube--as in when I have a flat--but there's never more than a few drops.

BBDave

lnomalley
10-17-2005, 02:24 PM
this is absolutely normal. after any ride in real rain you need to take the tires and tubes off and drain the water out. it's not a big deal and is no bad design or a faulty product thang... besides all the residue from your brake pads needs to get cleaned off the rims anyway.

this is what i do after rain rides:
first thing.. relube the chain as soon as you get home.
wipe the frame down with pledge
pop the seat post out and flip the frame upside down and let it drain.
lube the moving parts (just a quick spritz)
wipe everything down
pop the cogs off and clean em.

should take about a half hour give or take...

all standard fare. training the rain day after day gets to be a drag.. last winter in cali sucked for that. i felt like all i was doing was riding, cleaning, working, and sleeping.

the best wet weather tip i ever learned was... all about vaseline. any point on your body that touches wet lycra should be swathed in vaseline. if you use heating oil.. put vaseline over it.. it holds it on the skin and keeps the water from washing it off.

hope that helps.

vaxn8r
10-17-2005, 02:47 PM
this is absolutely normal. after any ride in real rain you need to take the tires and tubes off and drain the water out. it's not a big deal and is no bad design or a faulty product thang... besides all the residue from your brake pads needs to get cleaned off the rims anyway.

this is what i do after rain rides:
first thing.. relube the chain as soon as you get home.
wipe the frame down with pledge
pop the seat post out and flip the frame upside down and let it drain.
lube the moving parts (just a quick spritz)
wipe everything down
pop the cogs off and clean em.

should take about a half hour give or take...

all standard fare. training the rain day after day gets to be a drag.. last winter in cali sucked for that. i felt like all i was doing was riding, cleaning, working, and sleeping.

the best wet weather tip i ever learned was... all about vaseline. any point on your body that touches wet lycra should be swathed in vaseline. if you use heating oil.. put vaseline over it.. it holds it on the skin and keeps the water from washing it off.

hope that helps.

All good advice to be sure...but I do none of that. After rides I'm beat, epsecially long cold wet rides. I usually rinse the crud off the bike, and hang it up, later I'll lube the chain. That's all I do. It's a rain bike and I don't worry about it. Now if it were my only road bike I'd do it differently...like Inomalley