PDA

View Full Version : Lemond/Rapha

bobswire
11-09-2012, 10:38 AM
Looks like he's back to being the poster boy for american cycling?
http://www.rapha.cc/rapha-continental-with-greg-lemond/?cm_mmc=email-_-081112-_-textlink-_-lemondconti

SpokeValley
11-09-2012, 10:57 AM
Here's a real champion! His comments "...(cycling)...It's a tool that gives you pleasure. It's dynamic, it's social. It's a magical sport."

Right on.

54ny77
11-09-2012, 10:58 AM
great story.

deserves it.

slidey
11-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Well deserved!

weaponsgrade
11-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Monitor pass is part of the death ride. I didn't know he lived so close. Great story.

Buzz
11-09-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks for posting!

Much of the footage involves the climbs that are a part of The Deathride near Markleeville, CA. Huge, sustained climbs at altitude but only available from June to early October due to snowpack and weather issues.

You don't have to sign up for Deathride to go there and enjoy the climbs.

I read somewhere that he would ride down from Reno, do some of the passes and ride back to Reno - easily pushing 150 miles as a teenager.

Rueda Tropical
11-09-2012, 11:42 AM
I think it's great after all the venom and slander for years aimed his way that he is being rehabilitated and getting the positive attention he actually earned.

WickedWheels
11-09-2012, 11:43 AM
Simply awesome!

54ny77
11-09-2012, 12:31 PM
exactly.

lotta folks only see him as the u.s. tdf winner.

the guy has a staggering, positively staggering, race resume.

at every level.

I think it's great after all the venom and slander for years aimed his way that he is being rehabilitated and getting the positive attention he actually earned.

weaponsgrade
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
how about Serotta teaming up with Lemond for marketing and brand building

mcteague
11-09-2012, 12:33 PM
I had hoped for more, what a fluff piece. I am a real fan of LeMond and this article had little more to say than "oh, wow, Greg LeMond".

Tim

PQJ
11-09-2012, 12:39 PM

That's an excellent idea. Probably the single best one offered to date in regards to resucitating the brand.

fiamme red
11-09-2012, 12:41 PM
"Or how all the models of the bikes were named after his great exploits — Poprad, Buenos Aires or Ventoux (which was coincidentally my first racing frame and one that I still own)."

LeMond didn't win at Poprad, it was Matt Kelly, who won the junior world cyclocross championships on a LeMond bike:

http://www.bobkestrut.com/2007/03/11/matt-kelly-low-budget-superstar/

The man needs some Handlebra to replace his "cracked red bar tape." :)

tiretrax
11-09-2012, 12:48 PM
I never felt LeMond was wrong in his assertions, but, IMHO, the past few years, he came across as an angry, pathetic stalker. I'm glad to see him get more recognition, but he needs to wipe the foam from his mouth.

54ny77
11-09-2012, 01:45 PM
consider but two snippets of the past few years:
via landis mess, his childhood abuse outed in a revolting, ugly manner.
via armstrong/trek, his bike business ruined.

i've foamed for a lot less.

I never felt LeMond was wrong in his assertions, but, IMHO, the past few years, he came across as an angry, pathetic stalker. I'm glad to see him get more recognition, but he needs to wipe the foam from his mouth.

bobswire
11-09-2012, 01:55 PM
I had hoped for more, what a fluff piece. I am a real fan of LeMond and this article had little more to say than "oh, wow, Greg LeMond".

Tim

Before all that has recently transpired would Rapha has asked Lemond to ride along? I doubt it and I bet Lemond appreciated it, if for nothing else vindication.
I wasn't a fan of some of his fights against LA or Trek and he must have felt like don quixote at times and for that I hope the best for him. He has earned it.

beeatnik
11-09-2012, 03:06 PM

Tim

The images were pretty. I dug it.

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
. . . and went up there a cuople of times, though never on a bike. Park at the top, walk a couple of hundred yards over the brow of the hill--and you'd never be able to tell there were any humans in the world. Mountains stretching to the horizon and no sign of man visible.

BBD

AgilisMerlin
11-09-2012, 06:27 PM

Bingo

BumbleBeeDave
11-09-2012, 07:11 PM
. . . Da' MAN.

Great video.

BBD

majl
11-09-2012, 10:21 PM
I sold my first real road bike, a Lemond Zurich steel/carbon spline design, to a friend a couple of years ago and it is still going strong. Great bike. Love this pic of him in the rapha link. Despite having put on a few pounds over the years, he still looks impeccable going downhill on a bike.

esldude
11-09-2012, 10:32 PM
Kind of funny see all the luv for Lemond. I owned a Lemond bike, and more than once on forums (not here fortunately) people would make snide remarks about not wanting to ride something with Lemond written on it. First off, I was riding because of the bike more than the name, but I also didn't know of anything wrong with Greg Lemond.

Now you get the same story riding a Trek, because of Armstrong. Really points out how shallow and media tainted lots of people's views on people are.

I don't think Lance deserves the demonizing currently so fashionable and I always had a pretty good opinion of Greg Lemond when it wasn't cool. A pity really.

pdmtong
11-09-2012, 10:33 PM
once, when i met him, the conversation suddenly turned to surgeries and the next thing I know he says "here, take a look at my gunshot scar".

It happened so quickly I had no chance to turn away.

tihngs like the above and the below are hard to forget.

AgilisMerlin
11-09-2012, 10:35 PM
such is life

why Hellooooooooooo Bobke

http://bunkstrutts.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/528_creepy.gif?w=450

Rueda Tropical
11-09-2012, 10:42 PM

He was telling the truth when journalists and everyone else in cycling was afraid to speak out. Pathetic? That would be a good description of everyone involved in Pro Cycling in the last decade except LeMond and a small band who spoke out when it wasn't easy.

beeatnik
11-10-2012, 01:50 AM
He was telling the truth when journalists and everyone else in cycling was afraid to speak out. Pathetic? That would be a good description of everyone involved in Pro Cycling in the last decade except LeMond and a small band who spoke out when it wasn't easy.

+1 billion zillion.

I think the descriptor we're looking for is courage.

fuzzalow
11-10-2012, 06:27 AM
Greg is for real. In his ability as a rider and in his courage in defending the sport of cycling from a fraudulent cheat.

Greg always had great form and position on the bike, still does.

And he isn't as slim as he used to be. As is true for most of us. And there isn't anyone here on the forum, even now, that could beat him on the bike in any race or event of our choosing.

fourflys
11-10-2012, 10:40 AM
GL has a cross course build on his land and often hosts local races... he still has the passion for the sport for sure... Id love to see him bring his bikes back at some point, just not sure how feasible it is at this point...

kestrel
11-10-2012, 01:22 PM
1986 tour de france:
Two teammates break away from the peloton, including all the great climbers of the generation and win by over 4 + minutes. No drugs involved?

1989 tour de france:
15 mile time trial, never more than a 50 sec separation the entire tour yet one rider makes up 58 seconds on that last time trial. No drugs involved?

1990 tour de france:
Lemond and Indurain ride away from everyone on the final climb. He had been as much as 11 minutes down, now he was 5 seconds out of the lead. No drugs involved?

I’ll believe it if you do!

echelon_john
11-10-2012, 01:36 PM
GL steel and titanium—5 models total, fabricated by Serotta.

Steel & Ti "Race" with cool names
Steel & Ti "Sport" with cool names
Steel CX with a cool name

Why not? At least in a limited run. Direct sales, or order through Serotta dealers.

Keeps Serotta busy, gets LeMond bikes back in the spotlight, the renaissance of two great American stories, etc...

William
11-10-2012, 02:26 PM
GL steel and titanium—5 models total, fabricated by Serotta.

Steel & Ti "Race" with cool names
Steel & Ti "Sport" with cool names
Steel CX with a cool name

Why not? At least in a limited run. Direct sales, or order through Serotta dealers.

Keeps Serotta busy, gets LeMond bikes back in the spotlight, the renaissance of two great American stories, etc...

Cross posted it for you!:cool:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1239526#post1239526

William

Gummee
11-10-2012, 02:52 PM

I agree. Its not just what you're saying, its how you're saying it too.

I heard rumors from inside Trek that the dealers were kvetching 'cause they couldn't sell anything with LeMond on the DT. ...so they killed the brand and co-opted Gary Fisher's name. Rumors mind you. I'm repeating something I heard at least secondhand.

M

saab2000
11-10-2012, 05:46 PM
1986 tour de france:
Two teammates break away from the peloton, including all the great climbers of the generation and win by over 4 + minutes. No drugs involved?

1989 tour de france:
15 mile time trial, never more than a 50 sec separation the entire tour yet one rider makes up 58 seconds on that last time trial. No drugs involved?

1990 tour de france:
Lemond and Indurain ride away from everyone on the final climb. He had been as much as 11 minutes down, now he was 5 seconds out of the lead. No drugs involved?

I’ll believe it if you do!

1. No answer except that Hinault was the dominant rider of that generation and on exceptional form. Lemond just followed his wheel. Hinault was a 5-time Tour champion in 1985 and trying for nr. 6. No shock that he was able to attack and gain time on his rivals.

2. Aero bars. Aero helmet. No big secret here.

3. 11 minutes down on one rider who happened into a break on Stage 1. He was always within seconds of his real rivals. Chiappucci was never a contender.

One must take these situations in context. I have not much to say about Greg and cheating other than that he had truly rare aerobic talent. There were the norms of talent for aerobic athletes and then there were the truly exceptional riders with enormous VO2 capacity, high power/weight ratios, high lactate thresholds, etc. And then there was Greg Lemond. Off the charts with natural ability. Lance Armstrong was in the first or at best second of these three. Greg tested way higher in the lab.

tiretrax
11-10-2012, 05:59 PM
consider but two snippets of the past few years:
via landis mess, his childhood abuse outed in a revolting, ugly manner.
via armstrong/trek, his bike business ruined.

i've foamed for a lot less.

My recollection is that LeMond volunteered his history to try to get Landis to confess. If his sad story was twisted in a way damaging to him, then that's wrong of those who did it. However, in the crazy world in which we live, no good deed goes unpunsihed, so he should have anticipated that.

Same for not expecting some blowback against himself from Trek when taking on Armstrong. LA took Trek to another level and sold 150x more bikes than LeMond. It may have been personal for LA, but for Trek, "it was just business."

I found it creepy how he would show up at press conferences and just keep on with his questioning.

FlashUNC
11-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Cross posted it for you!:cool:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?p=1239526#post1239526

William

I'd be curious what the legal status is with LeMond's bike brand with Trek.

Fivethumbs
11-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Lemond was the cream of the crop as a junior racer so it was no surprise when he became a top pro. The difference between Lemond and the more contemporary winners with respect to doping allegations is that Lemond was never the subject of any suspicion or innuendo. He was called a wheel sucker and a follower but never a doper.

soulspinner
11-11-2012, 05:17 AM
1. No answer except that Hinault was the dominant rider of that generation and on exceptional form. Lemond just followed his wheel. Hinault was a 5-time Tour champion in 1985 and trying for nr. 6. No shock that he was able to attack and gain time on his rivals.

2. Aero bars. Aero helmet. No big secret here.

3. 11 minutes down on one rider who happened into a break on Stage 1. He was always within seconds of his real rivals. Chiappucci was never a contender.

One must take these situations in context. I have not much to say about Greg and cheating other than that he had truly rare aerobic talent. There were the norms of talent for aerobic athletes and then there were the truly exceptional riders with enormous VO2 capacity, high power/weight ratios, high lactate thresholds, etc. And then there was Greg Lemond. Off the charts with natural ability. Lance Armstrong was in the first or at best second of these three. Greg tested way higher in the lab.

+1, it was interesting to read that Cadels numbers were as good as Armstrong yet he has but one tour, won on the last time trial to show for it...............

nova
11-11-2012, 11:37 AM
I'd be curious what the legal status is with LeMond's bike brand with Trek.

from what little I remember, and a quick search it seems that trek licensed the name from lemond but cut ties a few years back. He's free to use the name as he pleases, it's just that until the past couple months it was worthless.

I'm not entirely sure what his relationship with specialized, but for an american company that is built on 'us and the other' (the other being trek) it could be the perfect match. It also depends on where his allegiance stands, does he want to see a multi-national company make slightly more money, or bring significant attention to a smaller builder.

FlashUNC
11-11-2012, 03:10 PM
from what little I remember, and a quick search it seems that trek licensed the name from lemond but cut ties a few years back. He's free to use the name as he pleases, it's just that until the past couple months it was worthless.

I'm not entirely sure what his relationship with specialized, but for an american company that is built on 'us and the other' (the other being trek) it could be the perfect match. It also depends on where his allegiance stands, does he want to see a multi-national company make slightly more money, or bring significant attention to a smaller builder.

I bring it up simply because, from what I remember, he doesn't hold the license to his name on those exercise bikes and trainers.

I could totally be wrong though.

JeffreyG
11-11-2012, 08:04 PM

Doesn't Lemond end up suing all of his business partners? :no:

Hawker
11-12-2012, 02:14 PM
I really enjoyed this..always been a Greg fan. However, I want to know:

What bike did he ride?

What shoes and pedals does he use?

Why the heck does he live in MN with those winters?

Will Rapha ever lower their prices?

54ny77
11-12-2012, 02:22 PM
That would be Epic (tm).

CunegoFan
11-12-2012, 03:49 PM
+1, it was interesting to read that Cadels numbers were as good as Armstrong yet he has but one tour, won on the last time trial to show for it...............

Evans had better numbers than Armstrong. So did Vande Velde. I think Landis did too.

Evans may not dope, something I don't believe, or may not dope to the level that Armstrong did. At any rate, Evans raced dumb until 2009. Vande Velde was never a dedicated doper like Armstrong. We saw what Landis could do when he was no longer condemned to simply support Armstrong.

Hawker
11-12-2012, 04:01 PM
I've been waiting for Evans name to start to showing up. I was a real Evans fan the last couple of years because I appreciated his efforts and in his personal life he appears to be a good and generous man. However, after reviewing all the info about the pro peloton, I'm beginning to feel let down all over again.

Now I know how Cubs fans feel.

oldpotatoe
11-12-2012, 04:25 PM
I really enjoyed this..always been a Greg fan. However, I want to know:

What bike did he ride?

What shoes and pedals does he use?

Why the heck does he live in MN with those winters?

I'll bet Rapha markets a Lemond frame way before anybody else.

Serotta has a hard enough time selling serottas..let alone GL/Serottas...

I like Greg a lot but he does have a certain amo0unt of 'baggage', serotta has enough on their own.

Walter
11-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Doesn't Lemond end up suing all of his business partners? :no:

Only when they failed to live up to the terms of a contract he had with them.

Don't see anything wrong with that...