PDA

View Full Version : Evolving from an SM Rolls to ??

katematt
11-09-2012, 08:00 AM
I have searched far and wide within the forum and no clear answer has presented itself.

Been riding a Rolls for over 20 + years with much joy and comfort. However, after purchasing J Meloy's Bedford would like to try out a newer/lighter saddle.

So the question is for those who have moved on from SM Rolls what saddle has worked?

Thanks for the help.

witcombusa
11-09-2012, 08:06 AM
I have a Rolls saddle on many of my bikes too.

If it has been working for 20+ years, why switch now?

merckx
11-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Try a Rolls titanium.

bicycletricycle
11-09-2012, 08:23 AM
fizik vitesse?

jr59
11-09-2012, 08:27 AM
Why?

Are you racing and just lost by .002?

Nobody can see it while you are riding.

My a$$ doesn't care if it's light.

christian
11-09-2012, 08:29 AM
Perforated Rolls. It's 62% more Euro-pro.

katematt
11-09-2012, 08:54 AM
fizik vitesse?

That won't work I already tried the Terry line and unfortunately I have too many working parts down there for these to work.

fuzzalow
11-09-2012, 08:55 AM
Same as you, I grew up with the few saddles available 20+ years ago to the multitude of saddles available today. Cinelli Unicanitor to Selle Italia Turbo to SSM Rolls. I think they all shared a rounded profile across the width of the saddle.

The spark of invention that revolutionized saddles was the Sell Italia Flite having a flat profile across the width of the saddle. So for all the makes & models sold today, I believe most to be saddles with differences without distinction. Except for if the profile is round or flat.

The thing about lugged frames is I don't like how they look with a modern saddle. A Thork on a Bedford, no way. But to be balanced in the bigger picture, if you slather black SRAM all over it, the saddle being out of context is moot.

As far as saddle profile, I prefer the flat modern shape to the older rounded. Feels like leaning forwards on the slats on a park bench versus sitting on a equestrian saddle. I can probably make any flat saddle work, so I'd pick it based on the aesthetic I was shooting for.

Good luck with it. Build it to fit right and the rest will follow.

katematt
11-09-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks for the input. I was checking it out this morning and noted how rounded it was down the middle.

I was not aware of the evolution from round to flat which probably explains why there is no correct answer.

sevencyclist
11-09-2012, 04:05 PM
B17. I know, heavier, which is not what you asked for, but I think would be very comfy and also classy with Bedford. Afterall, Bedford is about ride, style, and less about weight.

bironi
11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
Same as you, I grew up with the few saddles available 20+ years ago to the multitude of saddles available today. Cinelli Unicanitor to Selle Italia Turbo to SSM Rolls. I think they all shared a rounded profile across the width of the saddle.

The spark of invention that revolutionized saddles was the Sell Italia Flite having a flat profile across the width of the saddle. So for all the makes & models sold today, I believe most to be saddles with differences without distinction. Except for if the profile is round or flat.

The thing about lugged frames is I don't like how they look with a modern saddle. A Thork on a Bedford, no way. But to be balanced in the bigger picture, if you slather black SRAM all over it, the saddle being out of context is moot.

As far as saddle profile, I prefer the flat modern shape to the older rounded. Feels like leaning forwards on the slats on a park bench versus sitting on a equestrian saddle. I can probably make any flat saddle work, so I'd pick it based on the aesthetic I was shooting for.

Good luck with it. Build it to fit right and the rest will follow.

I went backwards I guess, switching from a Flite to a Rolls ~15 years back.

Let me know where you end up. I would not worry at all about the weight.

oldpotatoe
11-10-2012, 07:29 AM
I have searched far and wide within the forum and no clear answer has presented itself.

Been riding a Rolls for over 20 + years with much joy and comfort. However, after purchasing J Meloy's Bedford would like to try out a newer/lighter saddle.

So the question is for those who have moved on from SM Rolls what saddle has worked?

Thanks for the help.

Messing with 'contact points', particularly the saddle, is unwise, IMHO. You are saving a whopping 100 grams or so(a Powerbar is 60 grams, for comparison) on a typical bike/rider package of around 85,000 grams plus or minus. And potentially making those rides to find the newer/lighter saddle a literal PITA.

There is a reason SSM reintroduced this along with the Regal. Great saddles, buy some spares.

BTW-I use Rolls on all my bikes, have for years, ain't gonna change, have 2-3 spares.

rounder
11-10-2012, 08:13 PM
I had been riding on Rolls for 10+ years a while ago, i got a new bike about 5 years agoand went with Regal. It felt fine. Last year got another bike and went with Regal...also was fine. I just got a cross bike and was trying to use up some of my parts. Had a left over Regal (ti). Rode it today and it felt fine. Plus, the brass trim looks great. Life is too short to ride with saddles you do not like.

zmudshark
11-10-2012, 08:39 PM
I use Regals, and have enough spares to last the rest of my lifetime, but if you come across a nice Regal Giradi, I'll buy it.

If Rolls works, keep riding it. A nice, older SSM saddle is better than the new repops, IME.

ctcyclistbob
11-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Regal Ti. Classic with a modern touch, or is it modern with a classic touch?

katematt
11-12-2012, 08:12 AM
Should have mentioned that the frame is a Bedford TIG Comp with a sloping TT. So was looking for something a little less bulky.

That said overwhelming majority her and beyond says to stick with what works. So I'll throw on a SSM Rolls ti and gain that .002 seconds over my peers.

Thanks for the input.

Louis
11-12-2012, 09:28 AM
So was looking for something a little less bulky.

If you really want to try something different, IMO the Regal looks less "bulky" than the Rolls. Otherwise, stick with what works.