PDA

View Full Version : Riding with my son on his birthday

velotel
11-09-2012, 02:35 AM
Thirty years old, the time flew. He celebrates his birthday with a ride. Like me. Air’s cold enough for thick tights and multiple layers up top. Bowl and roll time. Through the first bends in the forest, picking up speed, but slowly. It’s not a race. Up the first grade. May not be a race but I can feel a subtle increase in the power. Expected of course. He’s young, strong, eager, full of living. I lean in, call up some more effort from the leg department. Breathing a little ragged but not too much, not like some mornings when I wonder if something is going to explode.

Over the top, and down, nothing major, just a grade into the next village. Whipping through the bends, watching for cars, walkers. Into the roundabout, leaning through then stroking hard. Starting to feel excellent. At least in the downhills he can’t drop me, or at least not too much. A fifty pound weight advantage always pulls him ahead. Gravity likes weight.

Out of the village into my favorite section. A round curve to the left, hillside dropping off to the right, the Alps across the valley, soft red from the sun sliding over the horizon. Spinning hard, banking through the bends, side by side. Big grins. Into the next village, over a couple of speed bumps, no slowing for those, pull the bike up, roll over smooth and easy. A left turn, past the monastery, turn right, and into the climb. A short K at 8%, maybe a wee bit more. Settle in, feeling strong. He could drop me here, but doesn’t. Settles for my pace. Not sure if it’s him or just me searching for the past but I’m pushing hard, carrying more speed than I usually do. Breathing hard, riding smooth, out of the saddle, working the bike.

Hit the crest and the flat afterwards. Moving over the cogs, picking up the pace. Grinning, yea, that was good. Past my Kokak corner, on to the col, into the parking lot. Slow circuit, glance over, a grin, a nod, we’re off. The return is fast. Big gears, twilight now, lights on, blinking mode to be seen. Back through the villages, into the final bends just before the house, up the short, final grade, the traditional final sprint where he always crushes me. I give it my best anyway. Maybe even a bit more than my best because it’s his birthday. He deserves that. Curl into the driveway, down the stone walkway, past the rain water reservoir, ride’s over. High fives.

Perfect. Quick shower, down into the wine cellar for a good bottle to celebrate with, a nicely aged Bordeaux. Glance at the clock, timing good. Grab the phone, punch ‘M’ for Mat, it rings, picked up immediately. He was waiting for my call. Knew I’d call for his birthday. He’s in Moab with friends to celebrate with, to ride the rock, ride the canyons, fat tires only. Told him I did a ride with him to celebrate. And opened a good bottle of wine. He knew I’d do all that. Tells me he’s got this box of wine for his birthday, 12 assorted bottles, some to drink, some to keep for years. Every time he opens one, he’ll give me a thought.

Would have been better to ride with him with him there beside me instead of inside my head. Good anyway. Colorado to France too far at times. Another autumn, another year. Seems like I’m noticing the years pass more than ever. Makes me realize how little time he and I have really spent together. How little we’ve ridden together. A problem of timing. I was 37 when he was born. By the time he fully realized how much he loved riding, I was already past my peak. He’s heard lots of stories of my riding when I was younger but never saw it himself. Now he has to look back to see me riding. Just timing.

Tell him he’s done well. Better than me. I’m proud of him. A good kid. Hard to ask for more than that.

maxn
11-09-2012, 03:35 AM
nice. Any plans for him to come visit again?

Louis
11-09-2012, 03:49 AM
Happy Birthday, Mat !!!

Neat story, Hank.

soulspinner
11-09-2012, 04:15 AM
Thanks. As always, cool story. Sometimes I ride thinking about my lil brother, deceased, who used to torture me and my riding friends dropping us on our racing bikes uphill with a touring bike. Always in the saddle, never would race.

rwsaunders
11-09-2012, 06:09 AM
My youngest had a half day yesterday for a teacher in service day. I was working from home so I told him that I'd pick him up from school. We came home and I went back to work.

About 30 minutes later, he entered my office and said "you're probably too busy to catch a football, huh." Guess what we did for the rest of the afternoon...anything but work.

Happy birthday Mat.

AngryScientist
11-09-2012, 06:14 AM
velotel, you have a wonderful way with words. thanks for sharing such a nice story. your son is lucky to have you in his life and vice versa. cheers.

William
11-09-2012, 06:40 AM
A wonderful story. I really enjoyed it, thank you. Your words make me appreciate even more that my son likes to go out riding with me. I can still smoke him in a sprint or climbing hills (all in fun), but I know there will be a day in the future when he reigns in his old man. Then I'll smile as he goes by and think, "That's my boy!":)

William

Ray
11-09-2012, 08:51 AM
I’m proud of him. A good kid. Hard to ask for more than that.

Everyone loves their kids. But being lucky enough to actually LIKE and RESPECT your kids is a huge gift. I enjoyed my daughters as little girls but I think even more now that they're adults and realizing how much I just flat out LIKE them and like spending time with them. And how proud I am of them. Like I'd want them both for friends even if they didn't happen to be my daughters. Nothing better than that. And one of them even rides a lot and we rode together a fair amount when we lived in the same area...

-Ray

gemship
11-09-2012, 08:57 AM
Thirty years old, the time flew. He celebrates his birthday with a ride. Like me. Air’s cold enough for thick tights and multiple layers up top. Bowl and roll time. .

Love your action photos and I always get a kick out of your bowl and roll one liner. Now if you could only quit doping just maybe you might increase that aerobic threshold and keep up with the young whipper snapper, just say'in. :p

pitonpat
11-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Always enjoy your stories and photos, you have an interesting and engaging writers 'voice'. I'm fortunate to ride with both my adult son and daughter, who got me back into riding after a long hiatus. Some of my best rides have been with my son, who tolerates my old man pace happily, occasionally dropping me like a bad habit when he wants to assert his strength. The guy has legs like trees!

Although we live much closer than you and your son, we're about 350 miles away from each other on the East coast, so father-son rides are valued once-in-a-while events. Whenever we visit one another, we always drag our bikes along regardless of the weather. He's visiting for Thanksgiving this year, and the cold weather gear will come out! He and I also climb mountains together, so we're no strangers to sufferfests.

So, thanks for your contributions to the forum. Particularly enjoyed your Lance contribution a couple of days ago, too. Couldn't help but add my 2 cents since you made me think of my kid!

dan682
11-09-2012, 05:53 PM
I love the story. I am your son's age and it makes me thankful that I still get to ride with my old man a few times a year.

norcalbiker
11-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Good story. :)

Beelieve me I know the feeling.

tiretrax
11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
Wonderful sentiments. I have been trying and hope to establish that tradition with my children. But for now, I (mostly) ride alone.

velotel
11-10-2012, 12:04 AM
nice. Any plans for him to come visit again?
Nothing solid, probably next year. He's going to be in Italy last week of the month for video work and was going to see if he could come over early for a week here but was too busy. Also time for me to make a trip stateside. Next year.

velotel
11-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Thanks for your comments. Nice to know some chords were struck.

Frankwurst
11-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Our son,nephew and I went on the Tyrennea brewing ride a month or so back and throughout the course of the day I kept thinking to myself "self, You are one lucky SOB" After the ride the family got together for good German food and lots of good beer and nobody was safe from a good flick of ***** and I was right. I am one lucky SOB.:beer:

handsomerob
11-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Fun story...

Even more so because I just got back from a ride to and around the local park with my eight year old son. Smiles on both of our faces the whole time.

Today's advice: keep seated on the longer slightly uphill parts and use an easier gear...

His response: but Dad, I can go faster when I get out of the saddle. :banana:

When we got back he asked when he can get clipless pedals like mine. Man I love that boy.

TC Johnson
11-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Velotel,

Yours is a wonderful story. Although mine does not have the beauty of France or a tasty bottle of Bordeaux in it, it holds some similarity in that it also involves my son.

It was my 61st birthday on the weekend before Sandy hit the East Coast, and with my wife out of town to visit her parents, I had free rein to do whatever I wanted. I should have been shopping for a generator (drat!), but the one present I requested from my 35 year old son, was a short bike ride together. He has been a little busy this year with the birth of his third son, and a merger going on in his company. We have been racing triathlons together off and on since he was about 16, and enjoy training together when we can, but this year we both took a break.

Fortunately, he is not many thousands of miles from me like yours, Velotel. A brief drive to his home for a birthday lunch with the whole family, and while son #1 is at baseball practice, we pulled on our kit and hit the road. Not too challenging or fast, but it was about riding together. Nothing but the hum of the tires, the buzz of the drivetrain, and cool wind on our cheeks. Narrow shoulders on the road may limit conversation, but it was heartwarming to hear him say it felt good to be on the bike again. He works hard and puts his family above his own pursuits, so the few times we can get out are precious.

I am looking forward to next season as we both want to get back to racing together. Hopefully, we can also find time for a few rides, just for the joy of it, without the need to monitor what zone our heart rates might be in or if we are ready for the next interval.

We never know how many more birthdays we get. Making the most of them, even when we are far from our loved ones, is worth the effort.

Velotel, I hope you can be with your son next year to truly enjoy the ride, and the wine, together.

TC