PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recognize this builder ?

AgilisMerlin
11-08-2012, 05:36 PM
curious ? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xjxg1Y7q8w

Hambrock and Spetter explain that their goal is to create a more environmentally friendly transport for crowded urban settings. It's unclear how the prototype is an improvement over conventional bicycles, which also do not generate pollution and are less physically demanding than the Fliz. However, Hambrock and Spetter say creating a healthier mode of transportation is also part of their vision for the Fliz.
The Daily Mail reports that Hambrock and Spetter have entered their design into this year's James Dyson Award competition, which awards a £10,000 ($15,924) top prize to the winner.
A new bicycle designed by German engineers does away with pedals and instead requires the rider to run or walk to generate speed.
Dubbed the "Fliz Bike," it is actually based on the world's first bicycle, the "Laufrad," which also operated without pedals and was created by German inventor Karl Drais in 1817.
"The prior aim of developing FLIZ was to bring a completely new driving experience to everyone," designers Tom Hambrock and Juri Spetter write on their website. "Its laminated, innovative frame with 5 point belt system provides a comfortable, ergonomic ride between running and biking."
Riders of the Fliz must strap themselves into a harness (the "5 point belt system"). After building up enough speed, they lift their legs onto footrests located near the bike's rear wheel.
"The frame integrates the rider and due to its construction it works both like a suspension and like a top carrier whereas the belt replaces the saddle and adjusts your position," the designers write.

http://hight3ch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/no-pedals-bike.jpg

fliz bike

tiretrax
11-08-2012, 05:55 PM
It looks like something one would use in physical therapy, not as a mode of transportation. It looks like 1. it would be difficult to get back up if one fell, 2. it would create gastrointestinal issues, 3. easy to get racked, 4. back and neck issues would result, 5. would best be utilized by the GEICO neanderthals and 6. you'd be known forever as the town dork.

slidey
11-08-2012, 05:58 PM
Wonder what the wait period on this would be like? :cool:

jtakeda
11-08-2012, 06:02 PM
I would be so embarrassed if someone saw me on that.

svelocity
11-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Urban vehicle...how would you lock this thing up to a parking meter? :help:

old iron rider
11-08-2012, 07:30 PM
Wonder what the wait period on this would be like? :cool:

HURRY! OPERATORS ARE STANDING BY. BUT WAIT. ORDER RIGHT NOW AND GET THE SECOND ONE FRREEEE! BUT YOU MUST ACT NOW!
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused

. No pedals, no gears, no seat. How do you climb hills? How do you do paceline? How fast do you wear out shoes on this thing? This thing sucks.:no::no::no:

guyintense
11-08-2012, 08:23 PM
A distant relative of Fred Flintstone?

Vientomas
11-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Is that Fred Flintstone?

ultraman6970
11-08-2012, 08:28 PM
it is interesting but why in the world he did not dsign something so the body rest over the bike and not hung from it?? that could help a lot for confidence and balance.

joev
11-08-2012, 08:58 PM
I needed a good laugh today! Hey...no mention of its weight, if it is laterally rigid yet vertically compliant, or that you don't have to fret of the decision between Speedplay or Look. I wonder, will they will have a MountainFliz? If they do, I'll bet that "drops" will get new found respect.

Man...I could go on but will let the rest of you take over. Too much fun!