PDA

View Full Version : Bradley Wiggins - An English gentleman

Vientomas
11-08-2012, 03:06 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/news/bradley-wiggins-expected-to-leave-hospital-thursday_264330

PQJ
11-08-2012, 03:19 PM
It's never good when a fellow cyclist has an accident and I wish him a speedy recovery.

With that said, I'll say also that I don't like Wiggins much. Never have, and the more I see of him, the less I like him. I'm looking forward to watching El Pistolero cleaning his clock next July and making a different sort of hand-based gesture.

That's all.

firerescuefin
11-08-2012, 03:31 PM
It's never good when a fellow cyclist has an accident and I wish him a speedy recovery.

With that said, I'll say also that I don't like Wiggins much. Never have, and the more I see of him, the less I like him. I'm looking forward to watching El Pistolero cleaning his clock next July and making a different sort of hand-based gesture.

That's all.

Couple of thoughts...Glad he's not more hurt. He's already come out and said he's targeting the Giro and Riding for Froom in the TdF (Course doesn't suit him).

I agree, he's a different bird, but the UK tabloids make ours look like girlscouts. Who knows what went on before then. The guy is getting discharged from the hospital. Let's not draw too many conclusions.

GuyGadois
11-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I think he is just showing everyone his finger wasn't hurt in the crash.

Vientomas
11-08-2012, 03:53 PM
I think he is just showing everyone his finger wasn't hurt in the crash.

Good one! :hello:

rwsaunders
11-08-2012, 03:59 PM
That's his inner Aussie coming out...:cool:

thinpin
11-08-2012, 04:39 PM
That's his inner Aussie coming out...:cool:

Gee.... you think.:rolleyes:

FlashUNC
11-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Just showing that he did finish the Tour first.

eippo1
11-08-2012, 05:46 PM
But don't we need like 26 witnesses, a 1,000 page report, and a couple books on the subject to prove that it's him in the car in the first place?

svelocity
11-08-2012, 06:10 PM
Funny that an Englishman is giving us "The Bird" instead of the traditional "Longbowman Salute". :confused:

67-59
11-08-2012, 06:14 PM
But don't we need like 26 witnesses, a 1,000 page report, and a couple books on the subject to prove that it's him in the car in the first place?

Yep. Let's get Her Majesty's Secret Service on the case....

pitonpat
11-08-2012, 07:04 PM
svelocity Funny that an Englishman is giving us "The Bird" instead of the traditional "Longbowman Salute".

I had an employee from England years ago, who explained the origin of the 2 finger gesture the English usually use rather than "the bird". The following is from a Google search....

Longbowmen and "The Finger"

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waved their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!"

Over the years some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like "pleasant mother pheasant plucker", which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F',and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

The origin of the insult (as explained to me) stems from the English longbowmens prowess and accuracy. As punishment to the longbowmen, the French, when they could capture defeated English archers, cut off there index and middle fingers, effectively ending their profession as archers. As an insult to the French, non-mutilated English archers would hold up their two fingers, knuckles out, in a taunt, indicating their abilities remained intact.

thinpin
11-08-2012, 07:13 PM
svelocity Funny that an Englishman is giving us "The Bird" instead of the traditional "Longbowman Salute".

I had an employee from England years ago, who explained the origin of the 2 finger gesture the English usually use rather than "the bird". The following is from a Google search....

Longbowmen and "The Finger"

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured English soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore be incapable of fighting in the future. This famous weapon was made of the native English Yew tree, and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" (or "pluck yew").

Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won a major upset and began mocking the French by waved their middle fingers at the defeated French, saying, "See, we can still pluck yew! "PLUCK YEW!"

Over the years some 'folk etymologies' have grown up around this symbolic gesture. Since 'pluck yew' is rather difficult to say (like "pleasant mother pheasant plucker", which is who you had to go to for the feathers used on the arrows for the longbow), the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F',and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger-salute are mistakenly thought to have something to do with an intimate encounter. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird".

The origin of the insult (as explained to me) stems from the English longbowmens prowess and accuracy. As punishment to the longbowmen, the French, when they could capture defeated English archers, cut off there index and middle fingers, effectively ending their profession as archers. As an insult to the French, non-mutilated English archers would hold up their two fingers, knuckles out, in a taunt, indicating their abilities remained intact.

Someones drawing a very long bow with this one!

rustychisel
11-08-2012, 10:09 PM

This bit at least is rooted in fact. The rest, not so much. The mutilation certainly predates Agincourt.

You may also wish to research the etymology of the phrases 'knock kneed' and 'shooting oneself in the foot', the first associated with archers, the second with crossbowmen.

jpw
11-09-2012, 05:08 AM

That's all.

It will be Froome vs Conbuterol next July.

jpw
11-09-2012, 05:11 AM
"don't step on my dog or I'll cut your head off" has greater intent IMHO.

Vientomas
11-09-2012, 10:30 PM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2012/11/news/wiggins-apologizes-for-middle-finger-salute-to-press-corps-sutton-remains-under-observation-in-hospital_264498

According to the team, the swelling in his dislocated finger has also reduced and will not require surgery,...

oldpotatoe
11-10-2012, 08:14 AM

That's all.

I'll take that bet.

rileystylee
11-10-2012, 12:39 PM
Wiggins was obviously p***ed off with the parparazzi surrounding the car and no doubt in a bad mood.

It's generally known round these parts (N W England) - where he lives - that he's getting increasingly frustrated with all the media attention since winning the Tour / Olympic Gold and just wants to ride his bike and be a Mod.

At least mr Wiggins is actually showing exactly how he feels - gentlemanly or not. Better a bit of swearing from time to time than a being a two faced, arrogant pr*ck like that Texan dude....

Russity
11-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Paul Weller was in the car behind after having a hair extension re-spiked at the Accident & Emergency Dept (that's ER to you guys), and he just ruffled his smoking jacket, lit another slim Panatella and frowned.....Bradley has a lot to learn about being the Mod Father.