PDA

View Full Version : Nor'easter

victoryfactory
11-08-2012, 06:37 AM
Yikes;

This was the scene in Queens this morning!
We got around 6 Inches.
If anything, there were more trees and wires down in my 'hood
than after Sandy's visit! (No, not that Sandy)

VF

AngryScientist
11-08-2012, 06:44 AM
its crazy.

i heard multiple reports on the radio this morning of unfortunate people who just got their power back, only to lose it again in this storm.

the bad news is that my rear wheel drive car is still wearing summer tires. i usually make the changover on thanksgiving weekend to the winter tires, but that plan failed this year. driving home from work last night was sketchy at best.

Nooch
11-08-2012, 06:46 AM
its crazy.

i heard multiple reports on the radio this morning of unfortunate people who just got their power back, only to lose it again in this storm.

the bad news is that my rear wheel drive car is still wearing summer tires. i usually make the changover on thanksgiving weekend to the winter tires, but that plan failed this year. driving home from work last night was sketchy at best.

should have gotten the xi :)

victoryfactory
11-08-2012, 07:00 AM
The Forester eats 6" of snow for breakfast. Even if I'm too lazy to put the
winter tires on (which I am)
It will be slush by Lunch
and just wet by tomorrow.

This weekend they are calling for 60 deg. and sunny.

Weird

VF

Nooch
11-08-2012, 07:01 AM
The Forester eats 6" of snow for breakfast. Even if I'm too lazy to put the
winter tires on (which I am)
It will be slush by Lunch
and just wet by tomorrow.

This weekend they are calling for 60 deg. and sunny.

Weird

VF

My wife's CR-V has been pretty awesome, as well, though we really haven't gotten any *real* snow since we bought it last december.

AngryScientist
11-08-2012, 07:04 AM
should have gotten the xi :)

never. if you cant come around a corner with the rear tires screaming, what's the point?:)

(i have a jeep too)

William
11-08-2012, 07:14 AM
Snow? Baaaaaaaaa! I've driven it through three feet of snow with higher drifts. Best snow vehicle I've ever driven.

William

AgilisMerlin
11-08-2012, 07:21 AM
downeast - a whole lot of slop

victoryfactory
11-08-2012, 07:24 AM
Snow? Baaaaaaaaa! I've driven it through three feet of snow with higher drifts. Best snow vehicle I've ever driven.

William

Yep; Land Rover, Subaru, Volvo (AWD) etc.
All the modern cars with computer controlled AWD and just a touch of
driver selectable modes are the way to go. IMO
Assuming a particular model has reasonable ground clearance, I would take
any of them over the old school gear jamming 4 wheel drive vehicles.
(I've owned 2 Jeeps)

It's really amazing how much better a computer can control the drive wheels
in difficult terrain and slippery conditions
than some inexperienced jackass with a gearshift and clutch.

"Serious" off roading as a "sport" is a different animal, of course.
Otherwise, go computer controlled AWD for real world driving.

VF

AngryScientist
11-08-2012, 07:29 AM
^^^ i'm pretty sure William's Rover doesnt have computer controlled anything:)

Ti Designs
11-08-2012, 07:35 AM
It's really amazing how much better a computer can control the drive wheels
in difficult terrain and slippery conditions
than some inexperienced jackass with a gearshift and clutch.

"Serious" off roading as a "sport" is a different animal, of course.

One thing you learn in ice racing - you do pretty much everything with the throttle. I have what some would argue is not a good winter car - a 1988 Honda CRX. I would argue it has no equal. First, at this point it's disposable. I've stuffed it sideways into a snow bank so hard that I had to climb out the door and jump up and down to get all four tires back on the ground (yes, I first tried to drive out of that one). In bad snow storms I still drive up and over Arlington heights. It's really not the bike - er, I mean car...

54ny77
11-08-2012, 07:37 AM
i'm ready for florida.

problem is, i'm about 25 years younger than the typical bloke who comes to that realization.

William
11-08-2012, 07:37 AM
^^^ i'm pretty sure William's Rover doesnt have computer controlled anything:)

Computers?! Who needs computers?!

The Yin and the Yang of a Landcruiser....

By William
(...the jackass with a gearshift and clutch):D;)

DreaminJohn
11-08-2012, 09:10 AM
its crazy.

That would be me.:mad:

I'm preparing for the inevitable swarm of locusts this weekend.

Be safe, folks.

rickbb
11-08-2012, 01:47 PM
It wasn't just the snow...

http://i853.photobucket.com/albums/ab98/rickbb58/WhalebackWavelr.jpg

tiretrax
11-08-2012, 02:01 PM
That's a beautiful coastal shot. Where is it?

My Texas-born and raised daughter is in Freeport, Maine for the fall semester. She told me last week she had never been so cold. Although she loved the early autumn, I doubt she will apply to colleges outside the sun belt.

rickbb
11-08-2012, 03:26 PM
Thanks.
Taken this morning from the porch of my house in Kittery Point, an hour south of Freeport but not a whole lot warmer. It has been cold the last week or so. The sun belt will be looking pretty good in a few more weeks. :)

eippo1
11-08-2012, 06:01 PM
That's a beautiful coastal shot. Where is it?

My Texas-born and raised daughter is in Freeport, Maine for the fall semester. She told me last week she had never been so cold. Although she loved the early autumn, I doubt she will apply to colleges outside the sun belt.

I went to Colby about 1 hour north of Freeport and on a hill. We used to plan how we'd get to class via buildings etc because it was so cold. My brother-in-law went to UMaine in Ft. Point which is a whole new meaning of cold and desolate.

Surprised with how much snow we got in Medford. My dog was psyched. Gotta say that experience counts for a lot with snow driving (even though traction control is really nice). It saved me during the blizzard a few years ago when I was able to take a short cut off of Rt 2 over a hill that nobody else could get up. Shaved about 3 hours off of my commute just by being able to do that because Mass ave had no cars.

Awesome shore pic btw.

tiretrax
11-08-2012, 06:09 PM
I lived in Worcester until I was 11. I miss skiing, but I love Texas winters! I can ride my bike nearly every day.

She's done some classwork at Bowdoin, and I was hoping she'd want to go to school in the East. By the time she comes home in December, I don't think she'll consider anything outside of California!

rickbb
11-09-2012, 04:44 AM
I went to Colby about 1 hour north of Freeport and on a hill. We used to plan how we'd get to class via buildings etc because it was so cold. My brother-in-law went to UMaine in Ft. Point which is a whole new meaning of cold and desolate.

Awesome shore pic btw.

Thank you. Shooting several shots a second makes it easy to catch these.

I went to Colby for two years before transferring to a school in civilization. I remember snow such that the walkways were trenches in overhead depth drifts.
Probably UMaine in Fort Kent? Cold and desolate, for certain!