PDA

View Full Version : Madera Canyon Ride

Dromen
11-07-2012, 03:41 PM
A group of us usually ride up Mt. Lemon after the Tour d Tuscon next week. We want to ride up Mt. Kitt but it is only a 12mi up and 12mi down ride and heard the road from Tuscon is not so good. Anyone have a suggestion for turning Kitt into more interesting ride other than just going up and down her.

For that matter, a suggestion for any interesting climb post TdT would be appreciated.

Flying Pigeon
11-07-2012, 08:55 PM
Depends what you're looking for. I like it once in a while, and the pros in winter often go there in a brisk paceline and knock it out quickly.

The road to Kitt Peak has a nice shoulder but defines the word monotonous. Round trip is 120-135mi depending on where you start in town. Usually the afternoon wind is out of the west and makes a nice tailwind.

Most drive there of course. A lot of locals have stories of how fried they've gotten on the door-to-door ride.

joev
11-07-2012, 09:18 PM
Kitt Peak is definitely not Mt Lemmon and its steady grade of 7-8% is more challenging. You do get some great open vistas too on the way up and, once on the top, you can look back toward Tucson and reflect on an awesome day! I'd drive to the base, though. That SR 86 is not "bike friendly" but your total mile count would truely qualify as epic.

Might I suggest a ride to Madera Canyon? Ride south out Mission Road, again (just like the Tour start), past Drexel and head way south to Duval Mine Road. Take a left onto Duval Mine, then right onto Continental Road past I-19 and turn right onto Madera Canyon/White House Canyon Road and let the fun begin. The climb is gradual at first, then gets steeper at the end. Turn around and head back, but instead of a left onto Continental, go right on Old Nogales Hwy which hits Nogales Hwy. Turn right onto Nogales Hwy and head back to town. This isn't as long as the ride to Kitt Peak, but nicer roads.

Dromen
11-08-2012, 09:51 AM
Joev. Good info. How long would you estimate the madera canyon ride you describe?

Dromen
11-14-2012, 07:29 AM
Heading to Madera Canyon on Sunday. With Lemon and TdT on Friday and Saturday, we are going to drive out of Tucson to shorten the ride to 50mi or so. Some web info offers a "general store" on Sahuarita Road just west of Old Nogales Highway bout 20-25mi out. Can a get an opinion on this as a start/stop point or any others that offer a similar distance?

Is there H2O anywhere on ride in on Old Mission Rd or out via Nogales?