PDA

View Full Version : SPD cleats compatible with Eggbeaters?

FastforaSlowGuy
11-07-2012, 11:43 AM
My wife rides SPD pedals on her mountain bike and wants to try Eggbeaters on her cross bike. Any chance the cleats (which look similar) are cross-compatible?

Ken Robb
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
No!!

firerescuefin
11-07-2012, 11:46 AM
No, unless you're planning for a divorce

shovelhd
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
No. Just get her a set of MTB shoes.

jr59
11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
No, unless you're planning for a divorce

lol!

thegunner
11-07-2012, 11:48 AM
i once tried this with look deltas on spd-sl's.

the end result was a whole lot of road rash. not worth the 20 bucks imo.

charliedid
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
Give it a whirl and report back to us...;-)

FastforaSlowGuy
11-07-2012, 11:52 AM
Argh. No way I was going to be that lucky. It sounds like "trying" Eggbeaters means buying another pair of MTB shoes. Maybe this is just a subterfuge to get that pair of Specialized kicks she's been eyeing.

firerescuefin
11-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Argh. No way I was going to be that lucky. It sounds like "trying" Eggbeaters means buying another pair of MTB shoes. Maybe this is just a subterfuge to get that pair of Specialized kicks she's been eyeing.

Those cleats are very easy to take on put off if she wants to try them. I LOVE eggbeaters so much that I am considering them for my road bike. Buy the cleats...put on on, let her give em a whirl.

Ken Robb
11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
I would buy/borrow a pair of the proper cleats and try them on the shoes she already has. BTW, the cleats are not the same. You get two different release points depending on which cleat you mount on which shoe. It's a nice feature to have a choice without having to buy another set of cleats or have the added complication of an adjustment mechanism.

FastforaSlowGuy
11-07-2012, 11:58 AM
The install/uninstall isn't the problem, it's getting the cleats repositioned correctly that makes me want to just buy another pair of shoes. With big road cleats it's easy to mark the shoe and get them set up identical when swapping cleats, but those tiny MTB cleats make the job a PITA!

jr59
11-07-2012, 12:02 PM

Sounds about right!

Women and shoes! :p

Lewis Moon
11-07-2012, 02:03 PM
The install/uninstall isn't the problem, it's getting the cleats repositioned correctly that makes me want to just buy another pair of shoes. With big road cleats it's easy to mark the shoe and get them set up identical when swapping cleats, but those tiny MTB cleats make the job a PITA!

Really? On egg beaters the only measurement that really matters (mostly) is fore/aft. I haven't used a pair of SPDs since I discovered Speedplays and Eggbeaters, but I believe the center of the cleat is over the spindle. Same with Eggbeaters. Just use a Sharpie to mark the location (a simple line) and swap. Use the extra dosh you saved by not buying new shoes and take your wife to a nice resturaunt. Stare into each other's eyes.

vjp
11-07-2012, 02:53 PM
Those cleats are very easy to take on put off if she wants to try them. I LOVE eggbeaters so much that I am considering them for my road bike. Buy the cleats...put on on, let her give em a whirl.

I have been using them on my road bikes for about 4 years, love em!!