Thanks Amtrak for Safely delivering my precious Bedford from
Chicago to NYC without a scratch.

Amtrak charged my 10 frns for the bike.
I gave the red cap a 20 frn tip.
The Guys in Chicago were real nice.

I used an AirCaddy Box ....

Here is the link

http://www.aircaddy.com/index.html

Oh yea ..... Bike was shipped in the baggage car ..... not with me in coach.

Looks like Amtrak is bike friendly ....

fiamme red
11-07-2012, 10:26 AM
Which lines is this service available on? Most Amtrak trains around here don't have baggage cars.

Ahneida Ride
11-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Which lines is this service available on? Most Amtrak trains around here don't have baggage cars.

Only Long Distant train have Baggage Cars.

It is easier to get a bike cross country then across town.

-----

and the fare can be cheaper too !

Steve in SLO
11-07-2012, 10:57 AM
FWIW, on the Pacific Surfliner, which runs between San Luis Obispo and San Diego, there are hooks in several of the cars for hanging bikes up. We've ridden the train from here (SLO) to Santa Barbara, had a great day riding then boarded the evening train back home. Not the quickest way to do it, but a fun day's journey.

fiamme red
11-07-2012, 11:03 AM
FWIW, on the Pacific Surfliner, which runs between San Luis Obispo and San Diego, there are hooks in several of the cars for hanging bikes up. We've ridden the train from here (SLO) to Santa Barbara, had a great day riding then boarded the evening train back home. Not the quickest way to do it, but a fun day's journey.The only line on the east coast that allows on-board bikes is the Downeaster, from Portland, ME to Boston. There was a rumor a while ago that the Vermonter would start to allow bikes, but I don't think that will ever happen. Too bad, since trains and bikes ought to go so well together.

FlashUNC
11-07-2012, 11:11 AM
The only line on the east coast that allows on-board bikes is the Downeaster, from Portland, ME to Boston. There was a rumor a while ago that the Vermonter would start to allow bikes, but I don't think that will ever happen. Too bad, since trains and bikes ought to go so well together.

Little unsure about this. A buddy had his birthday ride here in Charlotte. Took a dozen friends, hopped on the Amtrak out of town, rode from Salisbury back to the city.

They were told the train had room for just a half dozen bikes, but they spoke to the conductor directly and he let them all on.

I'd imagine Amtrak is far more flexible than just one line.

fiamme red
11-07-2012, 11:19 AM
Little unsure about this. A buddy had his birthday ride here in Charlotte. Took a dozen friends, hopped on the Amtrak out of town, rode from Salisbury back to the city.

They were told the train had room for just a half dozen bikes, but they spoke to the conductor directly and he let them all on.

I'd imagine Amtrak is far more flexible than just one line.I stand corrected, and I really appreciate the information. According to the Amtrak site (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267362028), the Piedmont line does allow bikes on board. So that would mean that I could take my bike on-board with me from NYC to DC, Greensboro, or Charlotte. :hello:

Edit: Never mind, it's the Carolinian that extends to NYC. The Piedmont only travels between Raleigh and Charlotte. :crap:

FlashUNC
11-07-2012, 11:59 AM
I stand corrected, and I really appreciate the information. According to the Amtrak site (http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=Page&pagename=am%2FLayout&cid=1241267362028), the Piedmont line does allow bikes on board. So that would mean that I could take my bike on-board with me from NYC to DC, Greensboro, or Charlotte. :hello:

Edit: Never mind, it's the Carolinian that extends to NYC. The Piedmont only travels between Raleigh and Charlotte. :crap:

That's a bit odd. You'd think they'd extend it up the whole line.

Plum Hill
11-07-2012, 03:05 PM
At one time you could purchase an Amtrak bike box for around $10. Said box was large enough that I rolled my mtb into it, only having to remove the pedals and turn the bars sideways.

On the StL-KC run, they were telling people the bike had to travel in the overhead baggage rack. Not sure if they've backed off that recently.

If you want to see bike service, check out what Switzerland. Every train has a car that bikes can go into. Some of the narrow gauge lines have cars that are divided, either front-to-rear or side-to-side, where you ride with your bike. People on one side and bikes on the other.

Ahneida Ride
11-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Amtrak still offers the boxes.

However, I believe a bike requires a bit of dis-assembly to fit in.

GuyGadois
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Amtrak charged my 10 frns for the bike.

I wonder how many frns that would have cost without the Amtrak subsidizes? :rolleyes:

Ahneida Ride
11-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I wonder how many frns that would have cost without the Amtrak subsidizes? :rolleyes:

It can cost as much to go from NYC to Albany as from Albany to Chicago !
:eek: