PDA

View Full Version : A very late PBP 2011 ride report

ottavayan
11-07-2012, 03:42 AM
http://randodud.blogspot.com/2011/11/pbp-2011-kings-of-road.html

8 parts; pace yourself. :)

BumbleBeeDave
11-07-2012, 05:33 AM
I gotta go read this over the weekend. I respect anybody who can finish this ride! It puts the capital E in Epic!

BBD

AngryScientist
11-07-2012, 05:46 AM
one of my goals. good work, will read the bulk of it soon, thanks for posting.

roydyates
11-07-2012, 08:34 AM
Completely awesome report. I can't imagine riding 30 hours at the edge of the time limit. Also, did I overlook the part where you got your front derailleur fixed?

tiretrax
11-07-2012, 09:51 AM
Thanks for posting. Better late than never! It's an amazing report. How did you recall events with such detail? I try to block out much of a century ride while I am doing it so I forget how miserable I was and will want to do it again the following year!

JLP
11-07-2012, 07:06 PM
Narayan,

You put in one hell of an effort on that ride. Chapeau.

I loved your report. This little bit nailed it...

"When I lived in Canada, I worked for a company with quite a large Japanese population and became aware of a very interesting dish made with Tofu. The preparation of this dish goes something like this: You put water, a huge block of tofu into a vessel and hundreds of teeny-tiny live fish together in a pot and start the heat. As the fish start to dislike the temperature, they make a beeline for the only hospitable spot in the pot that they can hide in. This of course results in hundreds of these fish cramming themselves into the tofu, which then turns out to be their grave as the temperature of the water reaches boiling point and cooks the tofu and the fish completely. I don't know why this thought came to me, but in a macabre way we resemble those fish and the Tofu is the Mortagne-au-Perche control: each of us on the road trying to jam ourselves into the tofu except of course that we are fish expecting to live to tell the tale."

That was me on the way to Dreux.

ottavayan
11-08-2012, 06:22 PM
They mcgyvered it so well it only failed this year on a commute home. :)

Didn't want a dime. Gotta love these people. :)

N

Completely awesome report. I can't imagine riding 30 hours at the edge of the time limit. Also, did I overlook the part where you got your front derailleur fixed?

ottavayan
11-08-2012, 06:25 PM
Haven't the foggiest idea. :) There are some things that stick
Really well. Any interaction with people stuck like glue. I suspect my slow pace helps.

N

Thanks for posting. Better late than never! It's an amazing report. How did you recall events with such detail? I try to block out much of a century ride while I am doing it so I forget how miserable I was and will want to do it again the following year!

weaponsgrade
11-08-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks for such a detailed writeup, I'd love to ride it someday. I know someone who rode it during which it rained. He wrote about huddling in the cold trying to get warm and then deciding the only way to stay warm was to head back out into the cold rain and start peddling.

harlond
11-09-2012, 07:51 AM
Great report, thanks for posting. Puts ideas in one's head.

ottavayan
11-09-2012, 12:53 PM
You won't regret it, Harlond.

Great report, thanks for posting. Puts ideas in one's head.