PDA

View Full Version : Determining Frame Value

DavidWiese
11-06-2012, 07:48 AM
How would you determine the value of a frame that has to be sold, but doesn't have a history on eBay? It's a never-been-built 30th Anniversary Serotta.

charliedid
11-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Sell it for what you can get for it. That's the value.

AngryScientist
11-06-2012, 07:53 AM
well, one way is to put it on an auction site, with 99cent starting bid and see where it goes. as you probably know, the "worth" of anything is what someone is willing to pay for it, at the moment when you want to sell it.

unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your perspective) the market for used frames is pretty bad right now. double that for a niche company like Serotta. it doesnt have the appeal of the one-man-shops like sachs and vanilla, not the allure of the "new guys" like firefly. i'm sure it's a fantastic frame, but what people have been willing so spend on older Serottas is not what it used to be.

nice bike tho, for sure.

Nooch
11-06-2012, 07:57 AM
is there a penalty for ending an auction early on ebay? say you're watching your own auction and there's 10 minutes to go and it doesn't look like you're going to get what you 'hope' to get for it -- could you have a change of heart and decide to keep it?

(i know it would be a grimey practice, i'm not advocating for it, but i suppose it would get you an idea of where the market is without commiting..)

It's a beautiful bike -- my boss has 30th anniversary #1...

FlashUNC
11-06-2012, 07:58 AM
Tough to tell from the photo, but also be aware that frames on either end of the size spectrum can expect even lower prices in this already depressed market.

Benefit to us big or small folks who are buyers, not so much as sellers.

Beautiful bike. I had no idea Serotta even made a 30th anniversary frame. Like the card suit detail on the inside of the fork.

vav
11-06-2012, 07:59 AM
would do a BIN for 2K or so and take offers. If nothing comes up, start dropping the BIN by 100 every week. Make sure you take the best pics ever and include all available info.

That's a nice frame for sure. Only thing that kills it for me are the black carbon stays.

GLWS

What size is it btw?

redir
11-06-2012, 08:02 AM
I would start the bid price at 70% of the cost of the frame when it was new and hope you get lucky.

Nooch
11-06-2012, 08:06 AM
also, FWIW, I think this 30th anniversary does a lot more for people than the 40th anniversary that's currently in production... just the little detail of the throwback to their steel heritage on a carbon fork with the card suit, that's a special detail...

jr59
11-06-2012, 08:12 AM
Sell it for what you can get for it. That's the value.

Really it comes down to this. ANY frame, or anything is only worth what someone will pay for it!

There is no magic to it. No formula for deciding things like this. I see people all the time tell me that whatever sold on epray for xxx. Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, just because epray says it sold, doesn't mean somebody paid that.

Good luck with the sale. Also, IMO Any limited editions Serottas, are not going to bring any money for being a limited edition. Maybe the older ones, but surely not ones like this.

christian
11-06-2012, 08:32 AM
40% of retail. Best case. Nice looking bike, but that's reality.

Joachim
11-06-2012, 08:33 AM

Christian pretty much nails it.

TimD
11-06-2012, 08:41 AM
<eom>

christian
11-06-2012, 09:15 AM
How would you determine the value of a frame that has to be sold, but doesn't have a history on eBay? By the way, I love the way this question is framed. If the frame has to be sold, I'd sell it on Ebay. Two birds with one stone! :)

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2012, 09:19 AM
If it is a size 60, I would say $200. :)

Much more if it is a 56.

Seriously though, I would guess 600 + or -

4Rings6Stars
11-06-2012, 09:23 AM
Is the top tube lugged or filet brazed? I see lugs at the BB and at the lower head tube but nothing on the TT. Maybe the resolution on my computer is just bad?

54ny77
11-06-2012, 09:27 AM
i have no idea how to answer your question, but i can say that fork is really nice looking.

good luck no matter what you do.

martinrjensen
11-06-2012, 10:07 AM
The problem with that philosophy is that say my bid doesn't get entered until about 4 seconds before the end of the auction. Virtually all significant bids come in within the last couple minutes of the end of the auction. Pick any auction and monitor the last 5 minutes of it sometime. You want to sell it, it's worth what someone will pay for it as stated. Make a nice ad with excellent pictures and start the bid low, like a dollar. If you want to hold on to it set a reserve but using the reserve will cost you a fair amount on eBay, as long as you know. I quit using reserve a while ago. I let the market determine the value.is there a penalty for ending an auction early on ebay? say you're watching your own auction and there's 10 minutes to go and it doesn't look like you're going to get what you 'hope' to get for it -- could you have a change of heart and decide to keep it?

(i know it would be a grimey practice, i'm not advocating for it, but i suppose it would get you an idea of where the market is without commiting..)

It's a beautiful bike -- my boss has 30th anniversary #1...

shovelhd
11-06-2012, 10:27 AM
There is no "penalty" for ending an auction early on eBay, but if you make a habit of it, your reputation may be tarnished.

DavidWiese
11-06-2012, 11:14 AM
What size is it btw?

56 cm seat tube center-to-center.
55 cm top tube center-to-center.

Liberace
11-06-2012, 11:27 AM
My guess is $1,500-1,650 if new.

cachagua
11-06-2012, 01:23 PM
Personally I like the high initial buy-it-now/work downwards method... I'm hoping to do that early next season with a couple of frames I've been sitting on. Only reason not to is if you need cash immediately.

I guess the way I think of it is, starting high and working gradually down allows you to see how much someone will pay; starting at $.99 and hoping it'll go high only shows you how little you'd let it go for.

Those guys that say only a few hundred bucks... they want it themselves! In fact, --yeah. I don't think you could get $50 for it, actually. But I'd give you $35...

esldude
11-06-2012, 04:16 PM
As someone this frame would fit, and someone who would like to have it, if cruising eBay and a BIN price was above $1000, I would just keep on cruising. Not a professional appraiser or anything, just a data point from someone who is a potential buyer. Don't know I would even go to $1000, but do know above that I am not a potential buyer. Above that I wouldn't even inquire for the details. It is a great frame, but there are lots of worthy frames out nowadays.

I think a drawback of the high BIN price lowered each week is personally, I might look at it once or twice and then no more. I think one is better to start low or have a moderate reserve, let it go a fair number of days, somewhere between 10 days and 3 weeks and just see what it brings.

I think you need to add details too. For instance, I don't know, a 30th anniversary, exactly which non-anniversary frame in the Serotta line at the time is that comparable to or based upon? How is a 30th ann. frame different than a non-anniversary edition? One can see it has carbon stays, is the rest steel, or titanium? And while I know, you will need to specify that a 30th anniversary edition is 2002 for those that don't know.

One can look at complete Serotta frames for a year or two in either direction and get some idea. The 30th anniversary edition is not going to bring a large premium over those, maybe a bit of one.

Ahneida Ride
11-06-2012, 04:34 PM

The used bike market is so pity-full right now.
I'd just keep the frame if it fits.

or save it till spring, when you may secure more Greenspan Green Stamps.

Ahneida Ride
11-06-2012, 04:36 PM
My guess is $1,500-1,650 if new.

I'd start there and hope ....

visit flea bay and check out the market there.

SPOKE
11-06-2012, 05:03 PM
I'm pretty certain this frame is one of either 13 or16 produced to celebrate Serotta's 30th anniversary. Basically a CSi. With carbon seat stay, special color combo/decal package, individually signed/numbered. Head tube looks lugged but actually milled to look that way. TT & DT are fillet brazed to the HT and the seat cluster is fillet brazed I the only lug is the BB shell. fork is an F2.
I know where 3 of these are. One is mine, Serotta Pete, and Ron Kiefel.
Next to an Ottrott built for you it is the next best ridding frame from Serotta.....iMO
Very rare frame/fork.

CaptStash
11-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Another vote for the $1,500+ BuyItNow plan. When you consider that IF Crown Jewel's routinely fetch in teh neighborhood of $800 when in flawless condition, it would seem reasonable that your Serotta would be more valuable. I like the idea of setting the price high and seeing what happens, then working your way down (if necessary) until somebody bites.

If it fit me, I would certainly have to think really hard at $1,000.

CaptStash....

cachagua
11-06-2012, 10:46 PM
I'd have to think hard at $1000, too. And it'd fit me. It'd fit me very, very well.

If you choose one of the above methods, or something different, and don't get any satisfaction, get in touch. But I have a feeling someone will snag it -- people routinely pay very high prices for a carbon/steel frame built to order from prominent builders. The difference here is instead of someone ordering it, it drops into their lap...

If I were actively shopping, and had a grand in the budget, that frame would be sold right now. I can't be the only one that feels this way, and nearly EVERYBODY is richer than I am... I think you'll have good luck.