PDA

View Full Version : Who makes the steel for my CDA?

Korn Julio
10-16-2005, 07:50 PM
During my usual cycling pit stop at Gravelly Point to watch the planes take off and land at Reagan National Airport, the little "Colorado Proprietary Design Niobium Alloys C5S Columbus Tubing" sticker on my seat tube caught my attention. Hmmmm, I wonder which tubes on my 2004 CDA are actually made by Columbus? Here's my take on it --- and if all you very knowledgeable Serotta forumites can help me fill in the blanks, that would be most helpful. Thanks!

Top Tube - Columbus Niobium
Seat Tube - Columbus Niobium
Down Tube - Columbus Niobium
Head Tube - :confused:
Bottom Bracket Shell - :confused:
Chainstays - Serotta Colorado Tubing (NOT Columbus Niobium). Correct me if I'm mistaken here.
Chainstay bridge - :confused:
Seatstay "lug" - :confused:
Seatstays - Reynolds Composites

Bill Bove
10-17-2005, 08:28 AM
More important than who made the tubes is who joined them? Despite Serotta's tag line "It's the tubes, damn it" I really believe the guy holding the torch has bigger influence on how a bike rides and the guy who charted it comes in second. A well built, well designed bike made from quality materiel, properly fitted and tuned, in that order.

PanTerra
10-17-2005, 09:16 AM
I am not able to answer your question either. I ride a 2001 CSi with C4S tubing. I was wondering the same thing the other day. Is my bike made from Reynolds 853?

jpw
10-17-2005, 09:19 AM
More important than who made the tubes is who joined them? Despite Serotta's tag line "It's the tubes, damn it" I really believe the guy holding the torch has bigger influence on how a bike rides and the guy who charted it comes in second. A well built, well designed bike made from quality materiel, properly fitted and tuned, in that order.

So you don't think 'properly fitted' should come first? :) :beer:

Fixed
10-17-2005, 09:26 AM
bro I agree with Bill and dude you should buy a bike that fits to start off with.Cheers :beer:

Larry
10-17-2005, 02:53 PM
I am not able to answer your question either. I ride a 2001 CSi with C4S tubing. I was wondering the same thing the other day. Is my bike made from Reynolds 853?

PanTerra,

Who knows for sure........ but my guess is Reynolds 752 or 725.

Larry

Smiley
10-17-2005, 03:24 PM
for sure NOT Reynolds 853 , they can't shape those tubes. So its either columbus or Reynolds .