PDA

View Full Version : Rapha softshell vs. hardshell ~ anybody!?

raygunner
11-05-2012, 07:21 PM
I never really cared for my Rapha softshell. Should I expect anything differed with the hardshell?

Anybody have a first hand review they'd like to share? It best be "epic"!

christian
11-05-2012, 07:29 PM
A cycling hardshell is a bit like a fly-fishing brassiere.

djg21
11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I never really cared for my Rapha softshell. Should I expect anything differed with the hardshell?

Don't mean to hijack, but I recently purchased an Endura Softshell jacket and and softshell vest from PBK and they are the best pieces of cycling outerwear I've owned.

67-59
11-05-2012, 07:50 PM

Don't have an answer to your question...but I'm curious what you don't like about the softshell. Pretty much everything else I've ever read calls it one of the best jackets ever. I'm looking for a new winter jacket, and was leaning that way.

Not too excited about what Rapha says about the hardshell - something like a stripped down version of the softshell, but with sealed seams to make it water/wind proof. Sounds like it'd be a crunchy windbreaker type of thing.

Lionel
11-06-2012, 02:15 AM
I did not like the rapha softshell either as I thought it was not breathing well at all. the hardshell is probably even worse.

Kirk007
11-06-2012, 06:55 PM
I have the softshell; I like it it a lot but for its is all black (not counting the pink lining). Lionel is right, it not the best breathing jacket but then again I'm not convinced that breathable and waterproof exists anywhere but in marketers imaginations.

Unwilling to shell out full retail for the new Rapha hiviz model I picked up a Showers Pass softshell. Waterproof, sealed zips etc. Fits like a large jersey; more form fitting that the Rapha. Good zip placement, warm - anything more than an underlayer is probably going to be too much. Haven't tried it yet in a downour but in general Showers Pass knows what they're doing. Best part: $120 on closeout of last years model at bicyclinghub in Portland.

I suspect the Rapha jacket will be relegated to about town and daytime, country rides. Still a great jacket.

pdmtong
11-06-2012, 07:03 PM
I'm not convinced that breathable and waterproof exists anywhere but in marketers imaginations.

too many factors...effort/intensity/heat output vs. amount of rain vs. outside temps vs. duration

after some time, if you dont get soaked form the water comng in, you get soaked from the sweat you produce.