PDA

View Full Version : What do you cheap out on?

Fishbike
11-05-2012, 12:48 PM
I am lucky enough to have several nice bikes that cost more that a decent used car. But I am too cheap to have more than one saddle bag. What do you cheap out on?

leooooo
11-05-2012, 01:07 PM
Frame pump. Got one lezyne that I move from bike to bike whenever I ride.
Everytime I internet shop I would add another one to cart but always end up removing it

brando
11-05-2012, 01:10 PM
garmins, computers, powermeters or other handbar gadgets. Also, lights on my commuter. I assume they will get stolen so I go cheap.

azrider
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
nutrition

weaponsgrade
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
PBJ sandwiches instead of energy bars. Calcium supplements instead of the marketed anticramping tablets.

Nooch
11-05-2012, 01:21 PM
not bike related, but I haven't bought a new pair of sneakers in about three years... there's not much left to the soles of my new balance..

norcalbiker
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
TUBES!!! :banana:

When they go on sale for almost $1 each, I buy lots of them.

CNY rider
11-05-2012, 01:22 PM
PBJ sandwiches instead of energy bars.

Right on.
There's nothing those fancy bars and drinks will do for me that can't be done by GORP, PBJ, and fig newtons washed down with H2O.

Gummee
11-05-2012, 01:28 PM
I'll probably have the stuff a fairly long time so I tend to buy quality stuff, but I don't buy it unless its on sale: Last year's stuff is fine. I don't particularly care if I have 'this year's colors.'

Wear items I generally run Rival or Force level stuff. Don't make sense to me to run Red/DA stuff that wears out. Just picked up some (new) 1050 cassettes for $32 ea.

M

keevon
11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
Cassettes, especially Campy. Veloce shifts great and the few additional grams are meaningless. Even better if you can find Mirage.

I'm starting to cheap out on tires too. The super cheap, wire bead Pasela's actually ride very nice. I'm done trashing $50 tires after sidewall cuts.

cmg
11-05-2012, 02:08 PM
Ti skewers, Planet x bike USA has them for $19, bought 3 set so far. a great deal. and the constant search for cheap light road bike tires. probikekit.com usually has them.

veggieburger
11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
Bar tape.

jds108
11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
Riding partners.

I kid, I kid.

Innertubes, saddle bags, and bar tape seem to be about the only thing I'll be cheap about.

batman1425
11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Nutrition.

Mostly though I just research stuff to death to get the absolute best deal I can on the stuff that I actually need. This is very hard, because I "want" a lot of stuff, but need only a little.

I buy a lot of stuff used if I can and go to swap meets for good deals on stuff. I use lower level parts for all my wear items except brake pads - love those swiss stop compounds. I just parted a bike out to pay medical school expenses for my wife and I sold every part of it for at least 25% more than I paid for it. I shopped around for months finding the deals and it paid off when I went to sell it. Would rather have the bike back though :(

Things I WONT cheap out on - tires, saddles and shoes. Have to be comfortable and safe.

monkeybanana86
11-05-2012, 02:48 PM
clothing but not shoes!

where do you guys get cheap tubes? I had to pay almost $7 for a bontrager one last time after running over glass on my way to work.

norcalbiker
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
clothing but not shoes!

where do you guys get cheap tubes? I had to pay almost $7 for a bontrager one last time after running over glass on my way to work.

$7 Buckaroooooo!!!!! :eek:

Aaron O
11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
I cheap out on pedals...I constantly buy used SPDs, closeouts, etc.

martinrjensen
11-05-2012, 03:08 PM
that's actually totally true. They offer convenience, that's all.Right on.
There's nothing those fancy bars and drinks will do for me that can't be done by GORP, PBJ, and fig newtons washed down with H2O.

buldogge
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Pricepoint 10 packs/sale are usually the best buy...$1.99/tube or so (+ shipping usually).

Myself...I'll by used 99% of the time...tires, tubes, and tape are pretty much the only things I buy new! ...but...I'm a cheapskate!!

-Mark in St. Louis

clothing but not shoes!

sevencyclist
11-05-2012, 03:28 PM
I park in a dirt lot outside of a county park and ride into the park instead of paying for parking in the park.

sevencyclist
11-05-2012, 03:31 PM
I use the cheapest Crank Brothers Candy pedals for both road and MTB. Have not felt difference between top end and low end ones, so went with the cheap ones and just replace every two-three years when the left side one finally gives out. The pedal for the road has held up for 5 years though.

raygunner
11-05-2012, 03:42 PM
1) Ride my bike to work. Cha-ching!
2) Make my own breakfast/lunch/dinner. $avings!
3) Cut my own hair. Blessing/curse of male pattern baldness.:cool:

Aaron O
11-05-2012, 03:57 PM
1) Ride my bike to work. Cha-ching!
2) Make my own breakfast/lunch/dinner. $avings!

Being bald is fantastic...it saves time, money and looks pretty bad arsed combined with a goatee.

avalonracing
11-05-2012, 04:05 PM
Being bald is fantastic...

That might be the first time that the above words have ever been used in that order.

Ralph
11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Riding gloves. Here in Florida, much of the year you sweat....and gloves get stinky. And my riding gloves go into the wash a lot. So for everyday riding, I use the Bell gloves from Walmart. They work just fine.

torquer
11-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Cassettes, ..
+1, though with me it was originally Ultegra instead of DA, and then SRAM (chains too) or even 105, but I now splurge on the occasional Ultegra cassette when the price difference isn't too much.
I'm starting to cheap out on tires too.
-1, not there yet. Nice(r) tires are the most cost-effective way of improving your ride experience, at least in my experience.

Do non-carbon seatposts, bars and stems on a CF frame count as "cheaping out"?

mcgillicuddy_p
11-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Can't see spending $50+ for carbon cages. I have $15 plastic cages from Specialized on my Ottrott and splurged for the $25 SS Arundels on my steel bike. Not super cheap, but not nearly as blingy as the rest of the bike(s).

nicrump
11-05-2012, 05:14 PM
i stopped using cointreau in my margs. cheaped out and using patron citronage. less than half the cost of cointreau or grand marnier. and i actually prefer it now.

i will not cheap out on the tequila though.

Steve in SLO
11-05-2012, 05:20 PM

But your avatar picture shows you with a headful of surfer locks...???

Aaron O
11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
That might be the first time that the above words have ever been used in that order.

Say it loud, I'm bald and I'm proud.

beeatnik
11-05-2012, 05:24 PM
Can't see spending $50+ for carbon cages. I have $15 plastic cages from Specialized on my Ottrott and splurged for the $25 SS Arundels on my steel bike. Not super cheap, but not nearly as blingy as the rest of the bike(s).

Same here. Even on a hypothetical or mythical $50,000 bike I'd rock a $5 cage.

kramnnim
11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Bar tape- I washed my last set numerous times, in addition to flipping it backwards, and wrapping it "clean side out." (it was mottled red/black).

I have a lot of clothes, as I hate washing them after every (daily) ride...but I've gotten almost everything on eBay. Most of my jerseys were $5-$10...

I'm using tubes with 5+ patches (and counting).

jet sanchez
11-05-2012, 05:30 PM
I have been car free for 5 years now. I figure that is a Pegoretti or two a year.

Other than that, I buy everything used.

victoryfactory
11-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Target has synthetic long sleeve base layer for around 13 bucks
I can't compare them to assos or craft because I'm too cheap to
spend 100 bucks on a tee shirt to find out.

Winter's coming, yo

VF

jr59
11-05-2012, 05:38 PM
i stopped using cointreau in my margs. cheaped out and using patron citronage. less than half the cost of cointreau or grand marnier. and i actually prefer it now.

I really like the way you think!!

giverdada
11-05-2012, 05:44 PM
winter booties (i trash a pair a year, it would seem).

haircuts fer sure (another baldie, at 32 yrs., and my barber is always available)

tubes

socks, soap, chamois butt'r (anything that rapha would make for a million dollars, i get in 3-packs elsewhere as much as possible)

non-racing nutrition (bananas and fig newtons indeed)

copy paper

ear phones

iphone protection for riding (ziploc bags)

I Want Sachs?
11-05-2012, 05:58 PM
It is ultimate cheapness, and laziness, for me to switch my MTB from tubes to Stan's. No need for tubes, and just pluck out and pump to get riding again.

dancinkozmo
11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
...this thread has reaffirmed my belief that we cyclists are indeed the cheapest s.o.b's. Ever...period.

COYO1
11-05-2012, 06:36 PM
I'll probably have the stuff a fairly long time so I tend to buy quality stuff, but I don't buy it unless its on sale: Last year's stuff is fine. I don't particularly care if I have 'this year's colors.'

Wear items I generally run Rival or Force level stuff. Don't make sense to me to run Red/DA stuff that wears out. Just picked up some (new) 1050 cassettes for $32 ea.

M

Sort of everything when it comes to roadbikes. From a durables perspective, I too tend to buy quality however I am ok with quality 5-10 year old technology. Therefore, I bought a used frame and fork (currently ride a '00 CSi) and it is wearing 2004 Campy Record 10spd. From a consumable perspective, all of my riding clothes, tubes, saddle bags, bar tape, and tires are either purchased on sale at performance bike or on close out from amazon or something. Bottomline is that I'm a 225lb Clyde, I am definately not a weight weenie, and am never going to be a racer so grams don't matter to me as much as $:)

thegunner
11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
Being bald is fantastic...it saves time, money and looks pretty bad arsed combined with a goatee.

you forgot the wicked aerodynamics too ;)

Frankwurst
11-05-2012, 06:47 PM
Haircuts. While watching late nite television in the 80's I realized a Flowbee would do everything I needed to do as far as hair goes. I'm now on my second one. Haven't seen the insde of a barber shop/salon since.:beer:

froze
11-05-2012, 07:04 PM
I cheap out as much as I can with jerseys, socks, and gloves but not on shorts but only go to mid level with those and only on closeout sales. I would never pay more than $30 for tires...of course I get $55 to $65 dollar tires for around $20 on sale. Tubes I've had problems with cheap presta valves found on cheap tubes so now I buy only Specialized tubes since I haven't had one presta valve failure. But I will buy the cheapest schrader valve mtb tube since they all seem to be the same. Speaking of tubes I have no problems putting patch after patch on a tube and keep using it.

I will never buy a car newer than 10 years old! I've found cars for my daughter and friends with low mileage that cost less than $3,000 and they run just fine. My last car I purchased was a 72 Chrysler Newport 4 door with a 440 and only 42,000 miles on it, I spent $4200 including the cost to get it repainted and undercoated! Big bad car that gets 21 mpg! I use it almost everyday. The internet is great for finding this sort of stuff.

I buy the cheapest printer paper I can find which is only found at Walmart.

I usually buy mid grade stuff because the stuff is usually within 95% of high end stuff and about 50% better then low end stuff.

roydyates
11-05-2012, 07:28 PM
I cheap out on pedals...I constantly buy used SPDs, closeouts, etc.

me too, i'm willing to pay $33 for new shimano spd but never more.

I'm also cheap on gloves, I buy a pair anytime i see them for $5 or less

roydyates
11-05-2012, 07:31 PM
I like to reuse zipties. The challenge of unzipping a used one is sometimes irresistible.

wc1934
11-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Kills me to pay for a tune up, but my wrenching leaves a lot to be desired -

spiderman
11-05-2012, 08:08 PM
I have bought a singular record cage for llew
Because he deserves it... But because he's fixed
He's NOT getting two!

ctcyclistbob
11-05-2012, 08:31 PM
Cycling clothing:
-no 'kits'
-no cycling specific jerseys
-no $100 T-Shirts (as someone else mentioned)
-regular nylon gym shorts for the most part, unless a long ride

Cars:
-192K on my 2002 Volvo, going for 250K

bismo37
11-05-2012, 11:16 PM
Bottle cages and QR skewers and Garmin mounts.

Cages. I love my carbon Arundel Mandibles, but I can't bear buying a set for each bike. Way too expensive.

Skewers. I have a couple no-name skewers on some high $ bikes. It bugs the hell out of me, but I just don't like the look of most aftermarket skewers. I think I'll go ahead and order a set of Campy skewers right now.

Garmin mounts. I have 7 bikes. I'm not dropping $60 a piece for the fancy mounts. I just transfer the 2 cheapo OEM mounts I have from bike to bike. It's a pain. I don't entirely trust the rubber straps.

froze
11-06-2012, 12:22 AM
Kills me to pay for a tune up, but my wrenching leaves a lot to be desired -

There's nothing wrong with that. You could start out slowly by watching You Tube videos on basic bicycle tune ups and see how you do. If you can change and fix a flat you be surprised at what you can do to your bike if you try. The worst case thing happens and you screw something up, big deal, you were going to take it in anyways for a tune up, so you have nothing to lose by trying, just keep trying over and over and eventually you will do more and more. Then buy tools as needed, in other words don't buy a set of tools, only buy them one at a time as you become familiar and confident with how to use it from watching the videos. You would be surprised with what you can find on You Tube that will show you how to do all sorts of stuff.

savine
11-06-2012, 01:57 AM
I buy everything cheap, well 20 years in the bike industry you end up having conections all over the gaff. As a kid I'd buy £5 tubs and all crappy Shimano untill became sixteen got a job n Campa all the way until last year got hold of a Red groupset for 400€ at work, new.

Llewellyn
11-06-2012, 02:17 AM
There's nothing wrong with that. You could start out slowly by watching You Tube videos on basic bicycle tune ups and see how you do. If you can change and fix a flat you be surprised at what you can do to your bike if you try. The worst case thing happens and you screw something up, big deal, you were going to take it in anyways for a tune up, so you have nothing to lose by trying, just keep trying over and over and eventually you will do more and more. Then buy tools as needed, in other words don't buy a set of tools, only buy them one at a time as you become familiar and confident with how to use it from watching the videos. You would be surprised with what you can find on You Tube that will show you how to do all sorts of stuff.

Great advice. I have absolutely no mechanical ability at all, but even I managed to put my bike back together recently. Just take your time and don't give up if it doesn't work first time. It's amazing how much you can do with a a little bit of practice and patience.

Now I feel confident enough to do almost anything apart from building a wheel or doing bottom bracket threads

And there's always people here who are happy to offer advice if you come up against something that stumps you

jpang922
11-06-2012, 02:31 AM
I like to reuse zipties. The challenge of unzipping a used one is sometimes irresistible.

Ding ding ding we have a winner here!

I'm too cheap to get saddle bags - stuff everything in the rear pocket. And ziplocs work great for phones etc - and I don't mean Ziplocs, I mean the cheaper shop-branded one next up on the shelf.

jpw
11-06-2012, 05:31 AM
bar end shifters instead of sti

overshoes

gloves

helmets

BumbleBeeDave
11-06-2012, 05:45 AM
Oddly enough, clothing. I say "oddly" because I have a whole closet full of stuff. But it's almost all been eBay deals or definitely on sale. I also am lucky enough to be able to do some photography for industry pals and get free stuff through them.

But looking at retail prices on stuff from even Pearl or other "midline" manufacturers and they want $80-100 for a SHORT SLEEVE JERSEY?!?! Gimme a break . . .

BBD

fuzzalow
11-06-2012, 06:01 AM
I continue to use inner tubes after patching the punctures. If it holds air, it gets used.

I repair tubular tires and if the casing is not cut, it is reglued to the rim and carries on. If the casing is cut, it'll get patched & repaired but held back as a spare.

I don't use CO2 cartridges, I use a Zefal HPX frame pump. The pump has lasted over 10 years, which isn't as long as the Silca floor pump at home that is going past 30.

I consider none of these actions as cheap but as frugal.

bluesea
11-06-2012, 06:27 AM
PBJ sandwiches instead of energy bars.

Same here with Ezekiel sprouted grain, raw honey, and fresh ground PB. Oh well....

slowgoing
11-06-2012, 07:06 AM
Groupos and components. I'm frozen in time on campy 10 speed with square taper bb and internal bb bearings. Don't see myself changing on that era components any time soon even if I buy a new frameset.

quickfeet
11-06-2012, 07:24 AM
Cycling is the only thing I don't cheap out on in my life. I have a hard time buying normal clothes and shoes, but have no problem throwing down on nice cycling stuff. I haven't owned a car in five years and my bikes are worth more than a pretty nice one!

Bob Ross
11-06-2012, 08:15 AM
Absolutely nothing.

I worked long and hard to reach a point where I can afford the elevated standards that I aspired towards all my life, and now that I have the wherewithal I'll be damned if I'm gonna let it gather dust (and 0.5% interest) just so I can claim to be frugal.

...otoh, I do on occasion buy Performance brand cycling shorts, which I guess counts as "cheaping out". It's not so much that I'm trying to save money, it's just that the tangible differences between Performance shorts and Assos shorts are something that, even when I can reliably and consistently detect them, don't often justify the 5x price increase.

Chance
11-06-2012, 08:20 AM
Bike locks. If one is even used at all.:rolleyes:

Gummee
11-06-2012, 08:34 AM
...this thread has reaffirmed my belief that we cyclists are indeed the cheapest s.o.b's. Ever...period.

You haven't met many BMW motorcycle owners AND/OR KLR owners have ya?

M

Vientomas
11-06-2012, 08:36 AM
The pressurizing agent for my inner tubes. I just use atmospheric air now. I used to use helium, but I wasted it all to make my voice sound funny.

shovelhd
11-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Chains. I use the $17 bulk KMC DX10 chains from Ribble.

Base layers. I wear the $9 Starter compression (hot days) and weave (cool days).

Tubes. I will patch and use as a spare.

Dura Ace cassettes. I use them on my race wheels and have yet to buy a new one.

High end components. Carbon railed saddle, carbon wheels, etc. Whenever I can buy used, I buy used.

carlucci1106
11-06-2012, 10:44 AM
I use a cheap Giro Helmet for road and mountain (just remove the visor)

I use the same Fox full-fingered gloves for Road and MTB

I have one pair of shoes (TIME ATAC on MTB Time Axion Pedals on Road)

Haven't replaced tights in 15 yrs

Have two pairs of cycling socks

Don't have any cycling-specific jackets (just wear fleece over jersey)

jr59
11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Headsets and Bottom brackets!

I use Chris Kings and either PW or Campy BBs.

They never wear out and need very little!

dauwhe
11-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Modest stuff:

Chains
Cassettes
Helmets (the $35 ones seem to fit me much better)
Shoes (<$100 always; expensive ones look (more) ridiculous)

I used to use Performance shorts, but I made the huge mistake of buying some Rapha bibs. Now I'm addicted.

Expensive stuff:

Frames
Tires
Shorts (now)
Lights (since I'm a rando type)
Bags
Hubs
Outerwear

Dave

fiamme red
11-06-2012, 10:52 AM
Headsets and Bottom brackets!

I use Chris Kings and either PW or Campy BBs.

They never wear out and need very little!Huh? I thought we're talking about cheap stuff here. Phil Wood, Chris King, and Campagnolo are much more expensive than many other headsets and bottom brackets out there. They may be a good value as far as you're concerned, but that's something else.

avalonracing
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
Absolutely nothing.
I worked long and hard to reach a point where I can afford the elevated standards that I aspired towards all my life, and now that I have the wherewithal I'll be damned if I'm gonna let it gather dust (and 0.5% interest) just so I can claim to be frugal.
.otoh, I do on occasion buy Performance brand cycling shorts, which I guess counts as "cheaping out". It's not so much that I'm trying to save money, it's just that the tangible differences between Performance shorts and Assos shorts are something that, even when I can reliably and consistently detect them, don't often justify the 5x price increase.

Glad you posted this, Bob. I was starting to feel like a spendthrift. While I don't have any bikes made within the last five years I don't really "cheap out" on the stuff that I do buy. This sport is too dangerous to buy questionable parts and gear, it's often too uncomfortable to buy clothes and shoes that are anything but near perfect and my my eyes are too important for cheap eyewear. Hell, decent tools are an investment as they help keep things safe and don't damage parts.

Okay, I just thought of something... I don't service my MTB suspension forks every 20 hours as recommended. Why? Because life is too short to do it myself and it's insane to pay someone to do that every ten rides.

jr59
11-06-2012, 11:08 AM
Huh? I thought we're talking about cheap stuff here. Phil Wood, Chris King, and Campagnolo are much more expensive than many other headsets and bottom brackets out there. They may be a good value as far as you're concerned, but that's something else.

I look at the big pic. In the long run they are cheap.

fiamme red
11-06-2012, 11:12 AM
I look at the big pic. In the long run they are cheap.That's irrelevant. In the long run, a Serotta Meivici can be cheaper than a $500 bike, if you ride the Meivici every day for many years and the $500 bike not at all. That doesn't mean that buying a Meivici is "cheaping out."

mack
11-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Cheap......yeah that could be me, I like 'thrifty' and 'eco-conscious' a little better.....second hand and reuse has been a mode I've often practiced, friends and acquaintances that are generally my size have been a boon to outfitting with sports equipment, from cycling to skiing and inbetween.....those guys gotta have the newest and best stuff, ya know.

rugbysecondrow
11-06-2012, 02:46 PM
Kits...my gear doesn't match. Shirts etc, I buy what is comfy and on sale. Frankly, not many XXXL jerseys out there, so I get what I can.

Cheers

pitonpat
11-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Oh man, this is right up my alley!

I've got over 4000 miles on my $400.00 used Lemond (price included the other guy's road shoes which fit me!). All my kit & other accessories came from EBay or multi-tasked from my climbing gear closet (mostly cold weather gear for winter riding). Most recent buy?......$15 paid for two new Vittorio road tires from Craigslist. I'm known by family & friends as a COB.....cheap old bastard!

Can't imagine where else I could have so much enjoyment for so little cost. I am lusting for a Serotta Legend however which would kinda bust my COB status.

jlwdm
11-06-2012, 09:00 PM
I guess I look like a spendthrift. I buy what I really like and don't understand buying an expensive frame and putting some cheap parts on it.

On the other hand because I buy what I want and keep things for a long time I believe my purchases are very cost effective in the long run.

I don't mind spending more money for something I really like, but I hate spending even a little bit of money on something I don't really like. Not just with bikes.

Jeff

froze
11-07-2012, 09:39 AM
I guess I look like a spendthrift. I buy what I really like and don't understand buying an expensive frame and putting some cheap parts on it.

On the other hand because I buy what I want and keep things for a long time I believe my purchases are very cost effective in the long run.

I don't mind spending more money for something I really like, but I hate spending even a little bit of money on something I don't really like. Not just with bikes.

Jeff

What's your opinion of cheap? I bought a 07 Mercian Vincitore Special and had Athena parts slapped on, expensive frame - cheap parts. Why? Because the good folks at Mercian said it would hold up longer than the racing gear, and it was more suitable for touring. As a plus, it was an all silver group which makes the bike look more classic, and those skeleton brakes calipers look cool, and as a huge plus they got me the previous year model of Campy for a huge discount I couldn't even come close to here in the states.

dana_e
11-07-2012, 11:00 AM
Using budget nine speed shimano cassettes and chains with my campy ten speed shifters / works great/ thanks Old P

match that to Shiamno r501 wheels, the cheapset factory wheel from them

Friction on 2 bikes and using a 12-28 XTR 8-speed cogset from like 15 years ago or so.

oh yeah, I am cheap

Campy Khamsins in a box, waiting for future cheapness to be delpoyed

67-59
11-07-2012, 11:15 AM
Absolutely nothing.

This. I'm frugal with some non-cycling related stuff (still take my lunch to work every day), but when it comes to my bike, components and kit, I buy what I want.

That means Kirk for the frame & fork, Campy Record, Chris King, Nitto and Prologo for the components, and mostly Rapha and Assos for clothing.

jlwdm
11-07-2012, 02:27 PM
What's your opinion of cheap? I bought a 07 Mercian Vincitore Special and had Athena parts slapped on, expensive frame - cheap parts. Why? Because the good folks at Mercian said it would hold up longer than the racing gear, and it was more suitable for touring. As a plus, it was an all silver group which makes the bike look more classic, and those skeleton brakes calipers look cool, and as a huge plus they got me the previous year model of Campy for a huge discount I couldn't even come close to here in the states.

I would not consider Athena cheap. There are numerous really cheap items mentioned in this thread.

The first thing I want to do is make the bike ride and look great. I have a 2005 CSI and I thought it needed an all silver group. Thus it has 2009 Centaur (Athena was not available), an Albert Bold polished ti post, Ritchey Classic silver stem, Arundel stainless cages and silver Chorus hubs and Open Pros. I am looking at new wheels. The bike has been in AZ getting no miles, but now it is in TX so it will be ridden more. I could put Athena on this bike and then have Campagnolo 11 on all three bikes but need to ride it first.

So I think your choice of groups is appropriate and not cheap.

Jeff

shovelhd
11-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Absolutely nothing.

...otoh, I do on occasion buy Performance brand cycling shorts, which I guess counts as "cheaping out". It's not so much that I'm trying to save money, it's just that the tangible differences between Performance shorts and Assos shorts are something that, even when I can reliably and consistently detect them, don't often justify the 5x price increase.

There's nothing wrong with that, either. But just because I save money wherever I can, doesn't mean that I don't spend it where I feel it's needed. My race bike has the best of everything that I can afford. My commuter bike has some compromises but it was built with mostly new components that will last.

Nooch
11-07-2012, 03:43 PM
My race bike has the best of everything that I can afford.

And here's where I always have a conflicting point of view... my race bike (which used to be dedicated, currently not so much) has Red on it, my cx/commuter bike has rival. But if (when) i crash on the race bike, it's more $$ to replace.

I'm thinking the next race rig will have force on it..

shovelhd
11-07-2012, 03:50 PM
And here's where I always have a conflicting point of view... my race bike (which used to be dedicated, currently not so much) has Red on it, my cx/commuter bike has rival. But if (when) i crash on the race bike, it's more $$ to replace.

I'm thinking the next race rig will have force on it..

There's always a value equation to consider with everything. I don't worry about crashing and replacement cost. It is what it is if and when it happens. My commuter is a CX bike as well. It's 10 speed, like the race bike. Every component on it except for the pedals (which I have spares for) is a functional spare for the race bike. So if I crash the race bike and the frame is still good, I have everything I need to get it running again, and can rebuild the commuter on my own time and budget.

GuyGadois
11-07-2012, 03:55 PM
I buy Rapha's Classic Jerseys and not those overpriced Pro Team Jerseys

Nooch
11-07-2012, 03:59 PM
There's always a value equation to consider with everything. I don't worry about crashing and replacement cost. It is what it is if and when it happens. My commuter is a CX bike as well. It's 10 speed, like the race bike. Every component on it except for the pedals (which I have spares for) is a functional spare for the race bike. So if I crash the race bike and the frame is still good, I have everything I need to get it running again, and can rebuild the commuter on my own time and budget.

i feel ya, and that's more or less the same boat i'm in. i just thought it funny of myself when I had two identical caad9's built, one with force and handbuilts, one with red and ksyrium sl's, and just wondered about which one should really be tossed around in a crit..

shovelhd
11-07-2012, 04:11 PM
I am much more concerned about crashing in a road race than in a crit. :)

Seramount
11-07-2012, 04:20 PM

^^^^THIS.

met you this wkend at MJ's...didn't realize we shared this keen insight.

19wisconsin64
11-07-2012, 04:30 PM
hello, my name is david, and i am a bicycling addict.

i skimp on nothing, and just this week committed to finding a purchasing a phil wood blue anodized seat post clamp. .... just because i am an addict.

please, please don't kick me out, i like you guys!

thegunner
11-07-2012, 04:31 PM
cables -- are these something i should cheap out on or not? i've found DA cables to be uber cheap vs. something like gore or yokozuna, but i've never had the more expensive ones...

54ny77
11-07-2012, 04:38 PM
shop smart, shop s-mart.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_eXgMFcBgG_g/SXamuG7EzDI/AAAAAAAADfw/N5lQHzpaqpI/s400/25.jpg

froze
11-07-2012, 04:54 PM
I would not consider Athena cheap. There are numerous really cheap items mentioned in this thread.

The first thing I want to do is make the bike ride and look great. I have a 2005 CSI and I thought it needed an all silver group. Thus it has 2009 Centaur (Athena was not available), an Albert Bold polished ti post, Ritchey Classic silver stem, Arundel stainless cages and silver Chorus hubs and Open Pros. I am looking at new wheels. The bike has been in AZ getting no miles, but now it is in TX so it will be ridden more. I could put Athena on this bike and then have Campagnolo 11 on all three bikes but need to ride it first.

So I think your choice of groups is appropriate and not cheap.

Jeff

If you had been with me and saw the deal I got for the group you would have said "THATS CHEAP!" All kidding aside, it is a nice group and it has performed flawlessly so far but I haven't ridden the bike all that much either, I think I may have roughly 2,000 miles on it since 2007, I say roughly because I haven't gotten around to putting a cycling computer on it yet. I did get a set of silver Record hubs from Mercian because I wanted the grease port their other lower price Campy hubs didn't have, they also strung those up to a set of OP's.

shovelhd
11-07-2012, 06:43 PM
cables -- are these something i should cheap out on or not? i've found DA cables to be uber cheap vs. something like gore or yokozuna, but i've never had the more expensive ones...

My race bike has a DA7900 group. The DA7900 cables are excellent. This year I replaced them with Yokozuna Reaction. The shifter cables are comparable but the brake cables are much better. You pay for that with a bit more weight.

Gummee
11-07-2012, 06:46 PM

I like the QBP 'slick' cables. Milled outsides = slide really nicely.

M

nopotholes
11-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Shoes. Cleats. It gets really ugly, nearing catastrophic failure.