PDA

View Full Version : Cyclist killed near Riverhead, NY

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 07:10 PM
By a driver with a suspended license, high on drugs, with his 4 kids in the car.

http://www.riverheadlocal.com/breaking-news/7482-cyclist-dead-in-calverton-crash-cops-driver-that-hit-him-was-on-drugs-had-four-kids-in-car

This is a guy who races Masters 55+ cyclocross but way better than me.

Just f+++ing perfect.

BK

e-RICHIE
11-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Steve was my racing buddy - I wrote this on my FB page:

Ya know - it's funny, well maybe not funny - but I think of us in the 55+ group as a troupe, a traveling bunch of cats who share at least 1/4 of the year together doing the best we can to beat up on one another and then laugh about it 20 seconds after we all cross all the finish lines between Williston and the Natz. Some of us know each other better than some of the others, but we all gel, have a need or desire to race 'cross with a passion, and simultaneously take it beyond seriously and laugh at it too. There's some bond we all have. There is a thread that runs through all of us. Now, with the news of Steve landing on our doorstep today, I think I know what a local precinct feels when one of the cops there goes down, or when the fire department loses a fighter to a burning building. Heck - man down, and he was from our gang, such as it is. I knew Steve some seven seasons and always considered him a threat once the whistle blew. Sometimes I bested him; sometimes he got me. But I only knew him on the surface, and only from cx. He was someone's mate, son, and family patriarch. To say this news story is sad on every level doesn't do it justice. I feel for his family, and for the folks who really knew Steve. We lost a mate from our weekends, and these other folks lost a real part of their life. Sad.

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Thanks for filling in some stuff Richard.

BK

AngryScientist
11-04-2012, 07:49 PM
Terrible news. To say someone has lost control of their lives to consider driving around with three kids in that kind of condition is an understatement. Damned shame all around.

Louis
11-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Apparently killing a cyclist wasn't important enough for them to bother charging the driver with that.

Slatton was charged with driving while under the influence of drugs, endangering the welfare of a child (four counts), aggravated unlicensed operation of a motor vehicle and several other vehicle and traffic law violations, according to the report.

brando
11-04-2012, 10:08 PM
^I thought the same thing initially, but the PD is probably trying to get enough evidence for airtight charges of the vehicular manslaughter etc. They have him held on the other counts so all they need are some witnesses to step up.

Louis
11-04-2012, 10:25 PM
I figured that's what is happening, but given how folks who hit cyclists tend to sometimes get off easy, I couldn't resist making the comment.

We'll wait and see 1) what the charges are, and 2) what he is finally convicted of.

Bruce K
11-05-2012, 04:23 AM
Can you say "plea bargain"?

There better be jail time involved for this one.

Just sayin'

BK

thinpin
11-05-2012, 04:39 AM
These posts always make my toes curl and palms sweat. Rest in peace man.

AngryScientist
11-05-2012, 06:09 AM
These posts always make my toes curl and palms sweat. Rest in peace man.

this is the scary part. could happen anywhere, any time really. yikes.

Fishbike
11-05-2012, 06:42 AM
May Steve RIP. May his family find comfort. May the criminal justice system do its best. May the kids in the car find the right path. May you all ride safe.

William
11-05-2012, 06:47 AM
May Steve RIP. May his family find comfort. May the criminal justice system do its best. May the kids in the car find the right path. May you all ride safe.

Well said.

William

redir
11-05-2012, 09:40 AM
Steve was my racing buddy - I wrote this on my FB page:

Yup, nice write up. I'm real good friends for a few months out of the year with a group of Masters. The first time you see them at the beginning of the cross season it's like catching up with an old friend. Then we try to kill each other, then we are good friends again. It's crazy like that.

Best to Steve's family and friends.

fiataccompli
11-05-2012, 11:56 AM
so needless, so sad. Besides what's already been said, it occurred to me that the folks around there who comment on news articles actually seem to be real people with real empathy. We do not see that in the local paper where I live.

Honey
11-05-2012, 11:20 PM
These are brutal. As a member of a family of avid backcountry skiers, unfortunately this type of news is more common for me than I wish. It never gets better, if anything it gets worse. In this case it is just so unfair. Going into the backcountry we know the risks and understand the ramifications and have consoled family members when bad things happen. In some ways the risk is the same riding a bike but it feels much more jarring for some semi-explainable reason. It's one thing to make a misstep with your own decisions it's another to be affected by such selfish actions and with such callous disregard but unfortunately that is the world we live and the enviroment that we have to consider. It's absolutely nauseating.

Heart goes out to you Richie

+++++++++++Vibes+++++++++++++ to all involved and especially family

shovelhd
11-06-2012, 04:09 PM
I race Masters (M55+ and up) and Pro on the road, no CX. It is a tight knit group. I am sorry for the loss of your friend, Richard.