PDA

View Full Version : how to carry a cross bike?

vqdriver
11-04-2012, 05:12 PM
how do you run with this thing over jumps and rough terrain and not break your collarbone? freakin agony

William
11-04-2012, 05:32 PM
One way of doing it....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTTOBnu7w-k

And one way not to do it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNjWeATyylc

:)
William

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Over jumps you should be using the "suitcase" method

No reason to shoulder it

The only time to shoulder the bike is on prolonged runs or steep runups where you might need a free hand

If you are shouldering, you reach through the triangle, grab the downtime, and hoist the top tube up onto your shoulder with the bike angled a little behind you. You then reach over the top tube and grab the left bar end. This works to secure the bike and stabilize the front wheel

Look for videos on-line or BBDave's photos from Gloucester, especially the one if Ben Berden (Raleigh-Clemente), going over the barriers

BK

weiwentg
11-04-2012, 05:53 PM
Over jumps you should be using the "suitcase" method

No reason to shoulder it

The only time to shoulder the bike is on prolonged runs or steep runups where you might need a free hand

If you are shouldering, you reach through the triangle, grab the downtime, and hoist the top tube up onto your shoulder with the bike angled a little behind you. You then reach over the top tube and grab the left bar end. This works to secure the bike and stabilize the front wheel

Look for videos on-line or BBDave's photos from Gloucester, especially the one if Ben Berden (Raleigh-Clemente), going over the barriers

BK

or perhaps you are in the fortunate position of having a bike store that organizes a local major cross race and holds a four-week cross clinic before the race.

definitely watch the videos, but the way I've learned is that you grab approximately the middle of the downtube, push your elbow through, and then put the top tube on your trapezius muscle. and then you reach your hand underneath the downtube and grab the handlebar.

it's a bit harder with a compact frame, but it's doable. I more or less require a compact frame, so I deal with it.

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 06:10 PM
I won't disagree lots of cross racing opportunities here in New England.

Local weekly Team practice choices from ECV, Riverside Cycles, CyclocrossWorld.com, etc as well

Getting tips from Tim Johnson, Jesse Anthony, Jeremy Powers, Mo Bruno Roy, and many other pros over the years certainly doesn't hurt either.

For me, reaching over is easier than under but I believe under is the "official" technique

BK

vqdriver
11-04-2012, 06:18 PM
i meant more of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGkrsR5bNA4

i get to choose one of two bones i can bounce the tt off of.

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 06:30 PM
That's what we're talking about

You need to get it up more on your trapezius and off the collar bone and then secure the bike to minimize bouncing/shifting by reaching between the st and wheel or over the TT to grab your left bar end.

It's like getting to Carnegie Hall - practice baby, practice.

BK

vqdriver
11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
trapezius???
ok, i gotta go find mine.

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Meaty part of your shoulder up against your neck

:rolleyes:

BK