PDA

View Full Version : Better Late Than Never: Gloucester Cyclocross Photos

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:35 PM
Back at the end of September I went over to Gloucester to visit my good friend BruceK and spend some fun time shooting pics at the Brewer's Cup Cyclocross weekend at Stage Fort Park. I had a great time and it was doubly fun because I was just shooting for me--no deadlines to meet or galleries to format. So I've taken my time getting it all together.

Here's some pics from Saturday when the weather was OK. I'm working on pics from Sunday now. It rained like an SOB in the morning and it was great stuff. I'll get that added here ASAP!

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:38 PM
. . . and she's from my neck of the woods and is national juniors champion. She raced with the men's cat 3's. Yes, you read that right. The announcer joked that psychological counselors would be available at the finish line for all male competitors who were passed and dropped by her. :p

As for this other guy . . . any guesses as to his identity, uh, ATMO?

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:39 PM
. . . you say? OK.

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:41 PM
. . . stuff, including some shot from the top of the huge rock that dominates the park. I hadn't shot from up there before and it gave a really neat vantage point.

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:43 PM
. . . by the beer garden were fun. The guy from Spooky was particularly funny and really hammed it up.

The trio of guys are Ryan Trebon, Tim Johnson, and Jeremy Powers.

BumbleBeeDave
11-03-2012, 06:44 PM
. . . including J-Pow enjoying the victory.

wc1934
11-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Beautiful - crystal clear pics (as usual). Can't wait to see Sunday's.
Thanks for sharing.

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 04:43 AM
Nice stuff Dave.

I'm sure there are tons more just as good.

BK

mike p
11-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Some of your best pic's yet Dave. You really captured the intensity and fun of the race! Great job, thanks for posting.

Mike

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 09:55 AM
I really like the one one Laura (Velo Bella w/bike on her shoulder) mugging for your camera.

She has already grabbed it got her Facebook page photo

The varying intensity of the Women's 3/4 start is pretty cool - some taking it VERY seriously while some a little less

BK

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Rain. Mud.

Fun!

It rained all morning and only let off around noon. Note the guy offering the mud to the rider is the Spooky rider seen guzzling beer earlier in the thread on Saturday. He was serving up some wicked-and ver yfunny--heckles in addition to the mud.

Those are my feet when I pointed camera down while standing right next to the Spooky guy.

Also note that all of the photos in this thread are copyrighted, as is everything I shoot and post.

BBD

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2012, 11:22 AM
. . . and you could tell on the first lap which riders had not pre-ridden the course. They would come flying down the ramp, get bogged down in the sand, then endo right over the bats.

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2012, 11:24 AM
. . . characters, including this guy who kept hanging around. Looks familiar but I just can't quite place him . . .

:)

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Cool colors and sights everywhere. That's winner Heken Wyman's UK champion jersey splattered with mud and May McConneloug heading up the hill by the beer garden.

BumbleBeeDave
11-04-2012, 11:29 AM
Trebon enjoys the win, Tim Johnson is glad it's over, second-place finisher Jeremy Powers cleans up quickly for the podium, and Adam Meyerson with his big smile--and even bigger earrings.

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Laura is a pro photographer

She asked for your name to give proper credit

BK

nighthawk
11-04-2012, 11:55 AM
Great photos, Dave. I was in Northampton yesterday and this morning, watching the races there... and saw a lot of the same riders. The course at Look Park is much drier.. looks like Gloucester was a lot of fun!

Bruce K
11-04-2012, 01:14 PM
BTW Dave, how is it you managed to include sone of my friends in almost every photo?

Hopefully the organizers can overcome some of the local backlash from this years event and the event will continue to thrive

BK

sc53
11-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Fantastic shots, Dave! As always.

SpokeValley
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Great pix!!

merlinmurph
11-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Hopefully the organizers can overcome some of the local backlash from this years event and the event will continue to thrive
BK

Backlash? Could you fill us in?

Thanks for the great pics, Dave. A few years ago, I went to the Gloucester 'cross races just to take pics - and I'm not even a photographer. Got some nice shots. The sport lends itself so well to photography.

FGC
11-05-2012, 12:58 PM
Hey Dave, I sent the link to some friends in the pictures and at least one posted it and wants to properly attribute it. What would you like them to fill in?

tiretrax
11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing. It looks like it was a lot of fun despite the weather.